“Great port in the storm” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Albert Lea
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Great port in the storm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We've stayed in several HIE's and this was, as usual, a well kept-up and welcoming place, with all the usual amenities. The difference this time was the (unscheduled) night we stayed there was during a full blown blizzard. Casey at the front desk was accommodating and unfailingly friendly, even under the duress of a full house and needing to negotiate emergency digs for some travelers. She even stayed overnight at the hotel to make it all happen. A cozy, warm, friendly place to get out of the storm. Our only reservation (so to speak) was the presence of two little dogs with their owners prominently walking around the breakfast nook. Didn't need that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
General_Manager4712, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for writing us a review. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us despite the terrible blizzard! I will make sure to pass on your comments to Caycee and the rest of the staff. As a team we work hard to ensure that every guest enjoys their time here from check-in to check-out. If your travels bring you to the Albert Lea area again, we hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mason City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We came up to stay a few weeks ago to visit our grandson and I can not say enough about this beautiful hotel that he picked for us to stay in. We were worried when we checked in that we wouldnt get any sleep because the lobby had a few groups of kids all sitting around. Apparently there was a big hockey group in that weekend. But I was so happy that when Carlene at the desk checked us in she put us on the 3rd floor (top floor) which was a floor with no hockey team. It was so quiet and there wasn't even any running above us since we were the top floor. Carlene was so helpful and even though she was so busy running around we made us feel so special and like we were the most important guests there.

The next morning, the front desk was even nice enogh to tell us when they expected all the hockey players to come down for breakfast so we could eat before they came down.

WE can't complain, beautiful hotel, clean rooms and good hot breakfast. We will be back to Albert Lea and we will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express again!!! See you soon friends :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to write us such a glowing review! Thank you. I am happy to hear that Karlene was able to meet all of your needs. I will make sure the pass the compliment again to her. She is an invaluable employee and we are lucky to have her!

Thank you again for being our guests and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

While newer, this was pretty much your typical Holiday Inn Express. The newer decor is definitely a step in the right direction for the brand. However, the HIE breakfast is pretty unappealing at every location. The room seemed fairly clean, but the elevator and hallway needed vacuumed. It looked like the areas near the wall hadn't been touched in months. I also noticed the front desk was frequently left unattended. The staff I did interact with were very friendly. There was nothing but truck stops nearby. I stayed here to avoid the drive into the Twin Cities after a meeting nearby. I wish I would've just kept driving. At the same time it does seem to be the best option if you have to stay in the area and don't have the option of going further North.

Stayed December 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear ekaty,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities are superior
and I regret you found our overall level of cleanliness, less than satisfactory. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with a valuable feedback.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

New Hotel, very surprised by how bad the water smells. So Bad I would not use it. Didn't even take a shower due to it. I had a bottle of water I brought with that I used to get rid of my bed head and brush my teeth with, Thank God it was a weekend and I didn't have a business meeting that morning, What is even more surprising is, when I checked out I wanted to make sure they new it. And she floored me when she said yes all rooms have the issue and its the cities fault. If you know your water is unusable, why would you not warn people at check in and then have bottled water available in the rooms? Just overall bad experience!

Also, the desk clerks both checking in and out, are very hard to get ahold of. Seems like they like to hide out in the back room. They should get a bell or something so you don't have to yell for them like I did.

Stairwells also need to be vacuumed once in awhile

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We are so sorry that you were unable to enjoy your stay with us due to several inconveniences you encountered. We are working diligently with the city and other networks to fix the sulfur smell of our water, although completely safe to drink we understand it is unpleasant and unsettling. We will also be working with our team to ensure that they are at the desk for when our guests neeed them. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback, it is always a value.
oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Our GPS had trouble finding this location. I don't know why since it's very easy to get to right off of I-35. The hotel was clean and a good, quiet place to spend the night. We had traveled alot of miles that day and was pretty road weary. We were a little concerned that all the truck stops around the hotel would make it unpleasant but we never heard a truck after we got in our room. The breakfast was very basic, like most of the hotels that offer free breakfast. I will compliment the staff on the fact that there was an attendant keeping the breakfast area clean at all times.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We are so sorry that the GPS system could not find our hotel for you. We are noticing that even after being open for a year there are still many systems and websites that are unable to find us. We will continue to work with them so others do not run into the same problems. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Alexandria, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a great stay the bed was so comfortable, the room was very clean and the motel must be new, since you can still smell the new smell in the stairs. Our GPS had problems finding the motel to, so the best thing to do is set it for the Loves travel stop, since the motel is just next door. We were happy it was far enough from the freeway that you hear no traffic noise and that is a big plus for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express. We have now been open for about one year and really hope to keep the property looking and feeling new for many years to come. Thank you for taking the time from your day to give your feedback.
Libertyville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express (Albert Lea I-35) is a nice place to stay if you want to avoid a more grueling Chicago or Milwaukee to Rapid City trip in one day. Albert Lea is a good start that allows one to get to Rapid City on day 2, with reasonable stops in Mitchell South Dakota for the World's only Corn Palace and the Badlands loop/Wall drug, without feeling overly burnt out from driving.

This hotel offers a reasonable breakfast (included) and a small but nice pool and exercise room. Our room was clean and the staff particularly friendly - especially the woman who hustled to keep the breakfast items fresh.

While not right off of I 90, the hotel is a very short distance from the I 35 exit towards Des Moines. I would not hesitate to make this hotel your go to place on your way to the wild west.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to others. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was able to accommodate. If in our area again we hope that you will stay again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35? Share your experiences!