“Beautiful hotel, lousy customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Albert Lea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minneapolis, MN
“Beautiful hotel, lousy customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament, along with 2 other hockey teams. The hotel was clean, the rooms were nice, and the breakfast quality and assortment were amazing.

We inquired at booking about utilizing the breakfast area for a team lunch and was told it was first come first served. We have done this on other occasions at other hotels and have never had an issue, this is standard procedure. After organizing a large lunch and sitting outside the room an hour ahead of time while the room was closed for cleaning, one of the other teams showed up ready for their lunch in the same room, and I was told they had the room held for them. It is very unfair for one group to be told it could not be reserved, only to have another group reserve it. When checking at the front desk, despite every alternative we came up with, our only option was to upgrade to a suite, which meant moving all of our stuff to another floor AND organizing lunch for about 25 people at the same time. It was not an option to utilize this room for just a short term, and moving at that time was extremely inconvenient.

Later that evening, when our team went into the pool for the first time all weekend, there were no towels in the pool area. One of the moms went to the front desk, where a very inconsiderate male was now working who refused to give her a towel for her daughter, adamantly claiming he could not give out any more towels because people were taking them to their rooms. He finally gave her 5 towels, despite being told we had 12 kids in the pool. He was extremely rude to her; knowing you have at least 45 kids coming in for the weekend, the hotel should be prepared for this. I later witnessed him being very rude to a group of kids in the lobby area, yelling at them to stay out of cabinet rather than politely asking them, and when I had to go to the desk to get my key activated, he never made eye contact with me and acted like I was interrupting him. Every interaction I saw him make he was rude and inconsiderate, always scowling and never smiling.

I am certain we will be returning to Albert Lea for future hockey tournaments, however I do not think we will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the cleanliness of our hotel as well as our breakfast selection. I apologize for the issues that occured during your stay. If you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Mason City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here almost ten times in the past three months and I've been pleased every time. The rooms are clean and in very good condition. The fitness room is on the smaller side but has enough to get a decent workout while away from the gym. High speed free wi-fi has never failed to provide video streaming and VPN when I need it. The people here are helpful, like when the desk attendant helped me jump-start my car at the end of his shift. If you're looking in the Albert Lea area, I don't think you could be disappointed. And, I was calling around for rates for an extended stay and this hotel had the best price and was most flexible, which is how I came to stay here the first time.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your great review! It's alwasy nice to have you stay with us when your in the area!
Wausau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

While encountering a Minnesota snow storm, I decided to stay at this property. Upon check-in, the staff was extremely Helpful and seemed genuinely concerned about the weather and making sure I received the type of room I wanted. The property was very clean, lobby, room and breakfast area alike. Two exits south of the Interstate 90 exit I found it to be an oasis in the middle of a snow storm.

Room Tip: The third floor was nice a quiet. The property is located a few blocks off of interstate 35 so there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I am grateful that you did get off the roads and stayed with us! Thank you for your kind words and please stop in again when your in the area!
SI NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for the last few years when we are in Albert Lea for business. The hotel is clean, room very comfortable, staff courteous and breakfast included. Gym small but fills my needs. Will keep going back each fall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! I'm so glad that you enjoy your time while here and we look forward to your future stays!
Punta de Mita, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here on our drive from northern MN to Galena. The property is conveniently located, is clean, spacious rooms, good breakfast. They charged a fee for our little dog. I recommend it. Even though they had a full house (tour bus), they met our needs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!!
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was very impressed with our clean and newly decorated room. The layout of the room left space to work with, and the kitchenette had everything we needed but didn't take up much room. The bed was comfortable and our 2 kids slept in the adjacent sitting room. The hotel was busy as there was a water event in town so the breakfast room was packed but the servers kept up with replenishing the food. I would gladly stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you also for your kind words about your stay! I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your accommodations and invite you back to stay with us again when your in the area!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here twice in the last month. The staff was very helpful, double queen room was larger than other Country Inns. The motel upgraded us to a queen suite at thier own loss when Club Carlson messed up our reservation. Pool is open to 11pm (12 for adults). Nice exercise room. We got the last available room but the motel was not noisy. Good pizza recommendations. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The queen suite had the exercise room on one side & elevator on the other, so it was quiet. Righ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Heather L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! It was our pleasure to upgrade you to one of our queen suites! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albert Lea? Share your experiences!