“Huge variety, good prices, clean and tasty” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #81 of 119 Restaurants in Auburn Hills
Cuisines: Asian
North Branch, Michigan
“Huge variety, good prices, clean and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My oldest son raves about this place, so despite the negative reviews, son number 2 and I gave it a try saturday march 8, 2014. located in a strip mall, you enter into a large lobby area with small koi ponds, and a large budah statue, There is an unused bar on the left, The dining area is divided in to two parts, left and right. with the food serving area in a bright open area in the middle. deserts, pastries, salad, and fruit line the left side, while a sushi station is on the back wall.
Dinner was $23.50 for two including our soft drinks with free refills.
I started out with the soup. I always go with hot and sour. dishes were clean and readily available. when I returned to our table, the waiter had already placed out drinks and tableware at our places.
The soup was very tasty and made in the style that I am used to having. only issue was it was just not as hot as soup should be. there were 3 or 4 soups types and i don't know if the others were warmer or not.
Next trip I decided to scope out the premium dinner options. baked chicken, crab legs, carved roast beef, spare ribs, baked salmon. I had the roast beef and son had the ribs. beef was tasty, but very tough. ribs were decently good with a heavy brown sauce.
son sampled the sushi and said it was very good. i don't like sushi in general so i passed.
As i was picking up some of my favorite items i noticed a dim sum section with 5 or 6 choices. again, not my favorite so i passed on this. and again, my son said it was very tasty. I have to say the item he took were very nicely prepared, and had a nice looking presentation.
We both sampled our usual buffet fare, S&S chicken, mongolian beef, pepper steak, spicy chicken, singapore chicken, all were very tasty and you could clearly tell that they were prepared with differing spices, and cuts of meat as the flavors and textures were very distinct. I have to say that this is one of my favorite buffets recently. I will be back for a follow up.
there were many more items to choose from, deep fried fish bites, pizza (didn't look good), some sort of shrimp stir fry that looked amazing, (but I don't eat seafood), some things i hadn't seen before too.
Dessert bar featured a lot of choices, some bland, like the cookies, and commercial pastries, but the cream puffs were the frozen type that i always like. the ice cream was hard pack, with 7 varieties to choose from. lots of fresh fruit too.
All in all I would recommend a visit if you like buffets. I found it to be clean and tasty. Maybe try lunch and save a few bucks, that's what I am going to do next time, since I don't like seafood, and really don't care about the premium entrees.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“yuck to this muck.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

High price and low value. Went in with two boys 10 and 12. Children price 8.95 but cut off age 10. 11.95 for adult. No senior discount. Girlfriend got sick shortly after we left and sent her meal down the drain. Large variety but worst buffet I ever tasted. Won't ever go back. Saturday evening dinner hour and handful of people there. Very poor. Don't go.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Most Disgusting Place on this Side of the Mississippi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, I love eating at the mmmmbuffet. But this is seriously the demon-spawn buffet of the century. The food was revolting, but I decided to tough it out and get my money's worth anyway. Upon leaving, I vomited several times on my car ride home and suffered from explosive diarrhea for the next week and a half. Not to mention my shoes smelled like urine from the wet floors. Take my advice: unless you want your rectum destroyed, don't go to the Oriental Forrest Mmmmmbuffet.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

That's all it takes, one word, GROSS! Filthy atmosphere, terrible, disgusting food. I took my twin daughters here and they too were sufficiently grossed-out. We agreed we would never come back to this buffet restaurant again.

Visited June 2012
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Unclean”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have given this restaurant a try once a year since it moved into town. I keep hoping it will improve and become the buffet we'd all love to have. It gets worse with every visit. This one will be my last.

Slippery and sticky floors, spots and stains on the walls up against the tables from where food and drink have clearly splattered and not been scrubbed away, food mixed with other food in the buffet containers, and the smell of grease in the air. At one point I walked into the bathroom and walked right back out - I wasn't that desperate.

I don't want to imagine what the (un)cleanliness of the kitchen might be.

The food isn't bad, but bland and often only lukewarm. Some of it has the appearance and feel that it has been sitting out all day - for example, the chocolate pudding I tried was warm.

• Visited April 2012