“Ruined 25th Anniversary” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 120 Restaurants in Auburn Hills
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Doing business, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Sterling Hts, MI
“Ruined 25th Anniversary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We chose to try Lelli's for our 25th anniversary dinner since it is very expensive and we could only go for a special occasion. I called two weeks ahead to make the reservation and told the person that it was our anniversary and I'd like a nice table. When we arrived we were escorted to a booth in the very back corner next to the kitchen entrance. There was a draft as well as servers racing back and forth in front of us. Several times the racks for the trays were slammed up against the wall next to my husband.
I went back to the hostess stand to find out why my request for a good table had been ignored. She informed me there were no notations about it. Also, that if I wanted we could go up to the bar and wait for a better table.
Apparantly Michael Buble was playing at a venue in the immediate area so they were extra busy. I would think this wasn't the first time in all their years this happened. They should have been prepared. The waitress took my husbands drink order and I was still looking at the wine list. She got his drink, came back to take my wine order and never returned for over 10minutes.
We ordered Ceasar Salad tableside. The waitress pulled the cart up in front of our table and left it there while she proceeded to serve three parties their meals before she came back.
At one point, she asked the hostess who was walking by what the next ingredient was that went in the dressing. Instead of going to the kitchen to get a lemon in the mesh for the salad dressing that she was missing she ran to the bar and got lemon sections and squeezed them straight into the dressing (that then had lemon seeds in it).
Of course dinner took just as long, and I have to wonder if it's because when asked if we were going to the concert we said no. The servers were asking everyone and trying to rush the people who were going to the concert.
I would have thought celebrating 25 years of marriage would warrant just as good service as someone on their way to a concert?
Very disappointing memories of what should have been a very special evening.

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Smelly Lelli's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was looking for a place that was open on a Sunday night that was not a fast food outlet and I saw Lelli's. To be honest my first impression was that it was a gentleman's club because all the windows are blacked out. Then when I walked in I thought it must be a mafia outfit. Hey, this could be the real deal where you get genuine Italian food. The really authentic atmosphere disappeared when I breathed in the atmosphere. I've smelt dumpsters that are more inviting.
The greasy food has obviously spilt over the plates and saturated the floor. They've had to black out the windows so you can't see what you're eating, but the smell tells it all.
If the emperor had eaten his clothes rather than worn them then this is the place where he would have heard a little voice shout out.
Just save yourself the trouble and give 50 bucks to charity and get the lousiest takeout you can buy.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Service is down, still great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

3rd or 4th review of this place. Wife and I love it. You can find a Groupon from time to time or a coupon in C&G. Not a deep discount but every $$ helps.

Latest visit was met with some screw up on which waiter had which section. I had to go see the Host 15 min after being sat to see if we were going to be waited on. Waitress came by with menus and we waited another 10 until she returned to take our drink and entree order.

After that, service was good to very good. Had we not waited 2 times I would say very good moving to great (as we expect; it is usually great). I expected her to put extra effort into ensuring we had the right level of attention and care.

Food? Awesome as usual. The zip sauce with the butter as its base is rich, calorie driven but awesome. Full 7 course meal. Filets were larger than I recall. I got an extra cut filet and it seemed like 14oz. Wife had a standard and it seemed 10+.

Check my other reviews for more on this place including food. I still recommend this place. Just prepare yourself for a 60-100 bill before drinks.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pewaukee
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Tried Lelli's as there wasn't much else to try in the area. VERY DISAPPOINTED, first of all I don't like to HAVE to use a valet service when there is virtually NO PROBLEM getting parking. Second, menu's with NO PRICES are a turn off. Lelli's tries to bill themselves as a white linen and high end steak and chops house. Sorry but they're missing the mark. I ended up ordering the "petite" dinner filet mignon and it was QUITE petite (very small), it was prepared well so that's a plus BUT there was this oily "sauce" on the plate which was so overly salty that I couldn't stand it. The mashed potatoes were lukewarm and the 6 to 8 green beans on top of them were not even luke warm. The Peroni beer was out of date (had a July 15 pull date.... I work for a beer company) which; in some folks view, should not be the issue for the restaurant as the distributor should be taking care of such. BUT for Lelli's being "HIGH END" (or trying to be such) I'd think that THEY would be watching their beer dates (it's not that difficult). Capped the meal off with a cup of warm NOT HOT coffee.

Overall a very, very disappointing meal and evening. I would NOT go back.

Detroit, Michigan
“Used to be the 'Best"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Been going to Lelli's for many years. The Original one in Detroit was really THE best. But then again maybe I'm just nostalgic. The Auburn Hills location, well, it's just ok. Service has gone downhill somewhat and the atmosphere isn't the same. The soup and salad recipes have changed. The steaks are still good. However, there are better steak houses out there besides Lelli's.

• Visited May 2013