“Won't Stay Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Au Gres
Flat Rock, Michigan
“Won't Stay Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed here over the week-end. Thankfully it was only for one night. The room smelled really back like B.O. or something. We had to open the window to let in fresh air. The carpet was just nasty and needs to be replaced! I wouldn't not even go without shoes in that room. The bathroom had some hair on the floor. The shower squealed really loud. The vending machine was pretty much out of everything and they were out of bottled water. The owner/man at front desk was really rude! Won't stay there again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
UP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

After being robbed at the Harbor Inn down the road we switched to the Econo Lodge. The owners were extremely helpful. They discounted our rooms by about 40%, the rooms were clean and spacious. The housekeeping woman we nice and accomodating. The pool was clean and the hot tub was hot and clean. The continental breakfast was good. I will never make the mistake of staying at a dive motel just to save a couple of bucks. I will always stay at this Econo lodge when we are in town. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We needed a spot to stay to visit our relatives who were in the nearby campground. Instead of bringing our popup camper for one night, we opted to stay at the Econo Lodge. We had hoped to use the pool with our kids, but the lights were not open and it did not look inviting at all. The smell turned me off so we did not end up visiting the swimming pool. The room was not clean, the bathroom floor was dirty and the room itself smelled like vomit. We checked in to the room around 6 pm and turned on the a/c in hopes of having a chilly room to return to. The hallway was very hot (like a sauna) when it was only 60 degrees outside in September. The a/c in the room would not keep the room cool at all, we were awake all night. At 9:30 pm I walked to the front desk to ask for an extra pillow and blanket to lay on the floor for my son, and the clerk rolled his eyes and was very rude. The lights were all off in the lobby and it was unusual. There are video cameras all around the inside hallways, I felt like I was always being watched. The microwave was clean, but the coffee and sugar were very old and solid in a chunk. The continental breakfast was the worst I've ever seen, we refused to eat it. We will never go back, it was "terrible". I always say I'll make my own reviews, but I should have read these reviews before making my reservation. Next time we'll take our camper or else we'll drive the distance to another motel. The service was horrible and the property was not clean or comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Clinton Township, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

By far the manager/owner's father is the grumpiest ,self righteous iperson I have ever encountered at a hotel in my life.

Their idea of clean is a joke. The stains on the carpet are apparent not only in the rooms but in the halls and lobby as well.

The rooms have very poor air conditioning units and when asked to move rooms we were belittled by the manager at the front desk stating we were the only people who complained. When asked to move rooms were were told we could not. A maintenance person replaced the air conditioner however it too was inadequate. The fron desk manager gave a filthy dusty fan for use as another half attempt to correct the situation. He wouldn't allow us to move rooms until the next day when we finally had to become very, very direct about our disappointment.

To find these reviews I now know better than us being the only guests who complained.

On our morning of check out we also found that the room keys had been shut off prior to the check out time of 11am. Again, this was blamed on us as the cause - supposedly the magnetic strip on the key cards must have gotten wet. However, another room near us also had the very same problem with their two room keys at the same time. Yes, people make mistakes... But don't blame it on the guests when it's the fault of management.

The continental breakfast consisted of stale bagels, generic cereal and bad coffee.

Trust me... We didn't go into this expecting a Ritz Carlton but we sure didn't expect filth and bad manners!

Stay very clear of this place!

Room Tip: Choose another location if you prefer not to have it 90 degrees in your room and your feet turning b...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Clinton Township
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I booked 3 rooms for 2 nights each, July 29 and July 30, 2011. We were in town for a family reunion and coincidentally there was a classic car event in AuGres the same weekend. Every hotel/motel was booked solid or we would have taken our business elsewhere.

During our 3pm check in, because the lobby was as hot as it was outside (90+ degrees that day) I asked if the rooms were air conditioned, I was told "yes".

We found all 3 rooms to be stifling. After an hour or so 2 rooms were cooling off but it became obvious that the air conditioning in our room was not working. At 415pm I called the front desk asking for a room change and was told no rooms were available and that a service man would be called.

Around 6pm the service man arrived and installed another unit. By 7pm we were already late for a dinner reservation and had to leave ... the service man assured us that the room would cool down by the time we returned. When we returned around 11pm we found that unit, too, was not functioning. My husband went to the front desk and was given a window fan.

The next morning I asked for another room and was told nothing was available ... there were unoccupied rooms at the moment, however, the manager was expecting early check-ins and did not want to move us.

After I got upset, the manager got angry with me but, he finally gave us a different room and quite rudely told me he would give me only 1 hour to lodge any complaints about the new room. The second room's air conditioner was adequate.

The policy is as soon as someone checks out, the air conditioners are turned off and the rooms heat up quickly.

This is a small motel with 30 rooms on one hallway. It was 90 degrees outside and had to have been close to 100 degrees in the hall. The mechanical/electrical room that services the indoor poll was generating an enormous amont of heat and spilling into the hall. Because of the added heat and because the room air conditioners are turned off between guests, the rooms get up over 90 degrees.

Check out is at 11am, at 10am we started to load the car. At 10:03am both of our keys did not work. The cleaning crew let us in our room. I called the front desk. An elderly lady came to our room in her stocking feet, not to bring us new keys but rather to tell us that we must have exposed the keys to water or to cell phones! She returned a few minutes later with new keys.

This property is owned by a gentleman from Chicago and he has his elderly parents run it for him. There is a language barrier. Both parents were very rude and very angry. The cleaning lady had to reason with them on my behalf!

The hallway carpets were filthy, the guest room carpets were filthy.

The bathrooms were clean.

The exterior was terribly littered and not at all kept up.

Room Tip: If you travel in the summer, bring a fan and don't go barefoot in the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

This property is pretty much just a basic motel, a place to crash for the night. It does have a swimming pool, however. Upon checking into my room, I immediately noticed a slight odor about it, something like the unpleasant smell of body odor, and the room was uncomfortably warm. So, I checked the A/C, which I found to be not working at all (This was July, and the temps outside were in the upper 80's) I told the front desk guy about it, and he had two maintenance guys there with another A/C unit within an hour or so. Only took them maybe 5 minutes to swap that out. As far as Au Gres itself is concerned, it's a very small town with very little to do there; I spent most of my time while I was in the area further north in Tawas City, East Tawas, and points further north. Overall, I'd say average.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We attempted to stay here on a Saturday night while visiting the Au Gres area on a small family vacation. The rooms weren't the best, but were acceptable for a hotel of this nature, with one exception: the air conditioning did not work. At first the unit was running, but not putting out much cold air. Then it stopped functioning altogether. Rather than ask for another room, we decided to just drive home for the night as we only live about an hour away.

When we went to check out the desk staff, who appeared to be the owner and his wife, wanted to give us another room, which is fine. However when we explained that we just wanted to check out and go home, they got extremely rude, claiming that we "used their room and their electricity for 5 hours and now want to leave". We explained were not trying to get out of paying for the night - we would have happily paid - we just wanted to go home. His wife jumped in saying that now she had to clean the room again and that it is a pain for her to clean the rooms.

At this point, we just kept trying to explain that we were not trying to get out of paying for the night and just wanted to leave, but then he called his corporate office to see how he should handle it. He proceeded to argue on the phone with his corporate office about us with us standing there listening. The entire check-out process took about a half hour. We would have just left, but wanted to make sure we were properly checked out so they didn't charge us for extra nights.

We will never visit another Econolodge, and probably never another Choice hotel chain. Your mileage may vary, but at least be aware that their air conditioning units are very under powered even if they work. It was only about 75F outside, but in the room it was 80+. Also, the pool and hot tub were very cloudy and unappealing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Au Gres? Share your experiences!