“Great meeting place” 3 of 5 stars

3468 E Huron Rd,, Au Gres, MI
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Au Gres
Cuisines: American
Description: this is a family diner, bar, restaurant with very good food and pizza. their phone number is (989) 876-8612
Michigan
“Great meeting place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We went there with a group of friends and had drinks and pizza. Drinks are quite reasonable and pizza good. Lot of room and quite a few locals frequent this establishment. Also visited with friends for the Mexican buffet which is quite popular and draws a good crowd. This is a seasonal option only. Busy during fishing season and a lot of fisherman stop here to have a cocktail after a day on the Great Lakes.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rochester MI
“Fantastic for Pizza Anytime and Fish Dinners on Weekends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Town and Country is a family-owned restaurant / tavern about two miles east of downtown Au Gres on US-23. The exterior has a charming log cabin feel. There is ample parking. Inside there is a moderate sized bar and plenty of seating for restaurant users. A back room of resturant seating is available, divided by a retractable screen-wall-partition. This overflow area is used on busy weekends. It is also used by various patron and community functions as well. At one visit they were setting up for a surprize party. A couple days later it was converted into a local small business display area for a community awareness function.

The manager (if he indeed has a title??) is J.R., who is the owner's son. I myself am from "down-state". I come to the area because I own some recreational land in the area. My visits can be months apart. The amazing thing is J.R. remembers our names. doesn't that make you feel like you just belong there??? IT IS GREAT! We are always greeted with a smile, some friendly chat about how we have been and what we are up to on this visit. The wait staff too is friendly. I guess it is the overall atmosphere of the place as well as the good food that brings us back.

I have gone to the Town & Country many times for their pizza. This is a small kitchen operation but they do big things back there. It is one of three places in the Au Gres / Tawas City area I would say has best pizza. It is a traditional turned crust edge pizza with plenty of toppings. They do not skimp, unlike many of the big name places that will give you the same volume of toppings no matter how many you pay to have put on top (don't you just hate when they do that?) Toppings are pletiful, and I have never had a pizza cooked incorrectly there. They are consistantly good. In reality I have gone there for at least 5 years and never ate anything off their menu, since I always craved the pizza.

While visiting in October I was sitting by myself at the bar and got into a conversation with a couple older fellows. It turns out one was Jack, the owner and J.R.'s father. Among other things we talked about was the menu. It was then that I realized I never ate anything there but pizza. Jack made a big point about trying their fish on Friday and Saturday nights, as it is fresh caught from the Saginaw Bay. They buy it fresh from a local fisherman in Standish. I liked that they use local sources. A week later I was back with my girlfriend. They feature both perch and walleye for the dinners. We ordered one of each and shared so we could rate them both. I love both walleye and perch. Of the two I'd have to say that the walleye was my favorite, based on portion size. there were still plenty of perch. they do know how to cook the fish there. I have seen lots of cooks ruin perch, frying it like walleye but drying it out due to the smaller size fillets. Not so with the Town and Country's cook. Both fish were cooked properly. I think we paid $12 - $13 for the fish dinners, which is about normal these days.

Based on Jack's recommendation i will likely try the Coney dogs (his favorites). I look forward to our next visit.

• Visited November 2011