“Excellent value for a suite, good place for family with an infant or toddler.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Columbia, SC
“Excellent value for a suite, good place for family with an infant or toddler.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were very pleased with our recent week-long stay at this Candlewood location. The suite layout allowed us to put our 2-year-old to bed in a separate room from us, his parents, so we could stay up later than 8 PM! The price was good for this much space, plus a full kitchen including dishwasher. DVD player too, good for the little one. (The front desk has a small selection of videos to borrow). Sure the suites are a bit antiseptic looking but all the amenities you need and clean as well. Location superb, as you can walk next door to a small shopping center with a Panera's (good for breakfast) and a Moe's. Across the road is a fantastic huge Whole Foods market, as well as Old Country Buffet. Many more restaurants are a 3-to-5 minute drive away. Even the heart of Ann Arbor is only about 10-15 minutes by car. Hotel is right off I-94 but soundproofing of windows was very good, could hardly hear any rumble at all.

The rather odd sickly-sweet smell alluded to in another review here was present in our room upon check-in...our guess was some kind of disinfectant they use upon cleaning. We got used to it within a couple of minutes, and by the second or third day it was hardly noticeable even upon first entering the room. Probably if one opened the windows fully, one could get rid of this smell even quicker. Only other small "complaint" was no wi-fi, only internet via the cable attachment at the work desk, so no surfing in bed possible. An outstanding value, staff was friendly. We would recommend this to families like ours in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed there for a U of Michigan grad school event and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very large and clean. I was surprised to get so much space for the value. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Northern New Nork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Stayed w/ wife and college-aged daughter ( pretty comfy pull out sofa) for three nights. Ended up on the ground floor which was ok but a little weird - right next to the parking lot.

Everything was a little shabby, but reasonably clean. The location was decent; close to shopping and chain restaurants, a Whole Foods right down the street, easy off 94, and only 10 minutes to downtown and U of Mich.

I might look for something newer next time, but no real complaints.

• Stayed March 2009
Warren, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I was a little disappointed about the appearance. I agree with the review about the filthy carpet in the elevation. There was also a slight smell in our room. It wasn't really offensive, just a smell, possibly a little musty. We had a one bedroom suite. It was comfortable and clean. The hotel was quiet. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly. I liked the free laundry facilities and the shop that is operated on the honor system. The shop had a nice supply of snacks and quick foods. The prices were really not too bad. With a little clean-up, I would give this facility 4 stars. As it stands now, a neutral rating is about all I can give it.

• Liked — I liked the full kitchen and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The slightly worn look
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
lancaster, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

We drove home all night last night rather than stay another night. We certainly were not expecting fancy, but the filthy carpet in the elevator should have served as a warning....A property can be worn, but clean. As soon as we got off the elevator, the cigarette smoke filled hall was upon us. Having booked a non-smoking room we thought "oh no", but we arrived at our room that said non-smoking. Smoke was the least of the problems--we opened the door and a slightly rotten, sour milk smell was upon us. Being tired and with three little kids, we thought we would deal and went to bed. I did open the freezer to put an ice pack in and was blasted by the most horrible smell ever--rotting meat/saurkraut/mystery, who knows. I went down to the desk where someone gave me a pink bathroom cleaner to wipe it out. It didn't look dirty but the smell was impossible to get rid of. It permeated the room, our pillows, everything. It caused a migrane, asthma weezing and stuffy noses and the thought of staying another night was more than we could bear--they were very nice and didn't charge us for another night.
One note--a crew of men were ripping out filthy carpet and hauling out the same furniture that was in our room while we were there. Maybe with a renovation, the smell will improve? In the meantime, avoid it.

Stayed July 2008
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

First, let me say I have traveled for years and stayed at low end motels and high end hotels. I have learned that there are two types of travelers - those that expect perfection and are unhappy with anything that falls short of it, and those that understand that nothing in life is perfect and can adjust to life's unexpected challenges. I fall into the latter group.

I was in Ann Arbor for 4 nights looking for a condo to purchase for my son who will be attending the U of M over the next 5 years. My son also was attending a wedding. Here are the major pluses that we found at the Candlewood Suites.

1) Location - right down the block from a major local mall, just minutes from Highway 94, 10 minutes from the U of M and dozens and dozens of restaurants.

2) Room amenities - Kitchenette with a coffee maker, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, full-sized refrigerator with ice maker, an kitchen utensils, cups, and plates, and even a pot to cook or boil something in.

3) Desk and Internet feed.

4) Color tv with free multiple HBO channels

5) Combo resource room with mini-store that had all of the basic toiletries and groceries and frozen products you could buy on the "honor system".

6) Free washers and dryers which I ended up using to spare my wife back home from having to do a ton of dirty laundry upon my return.

7) Fitness Center with two treadmills, an exercise, eliptical machine, crunch bench and multi-station weight machine, with tv hooked up to cable.

8) Helpful and friendly staff

9) Top value for the money - through the "Priority Club" I was able to get a room with all of the above with two twin beds for $79 a night.

10) The room had a full sized ironing board and iron and a hair dryer in the bathroom.

Negatives - none of which affected my high opinion of the hotel, but again remember it's a matter of expectations and attitude.

1) Our room had a distinct odor to it like cheesecake - two minutes inside and we didn't notice it.

2) During a stay less than 7 days there is no maid service, however if you want fresh towels you just take your old ones to the front desk and they'll replace them for you. We liked no maid service because it allowed us to leave our stuff where it was and not be in anyone's way.

Super PLUS! - I had left my pillow from home in the room. I called the hotel the next day and they shipped it to me and I had it two days later! How can you beat that?

I will definitely return to the Candlewood Suites whenever I visit my son.

• Liked — All of the amenities like the kitchenette, mini-store, free laundry, and fitness center
  • Disliked — the cheesecake smell of the room - but it didn't spoil it for us
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

This is a nice, clean hotel. It's got a good location--close to the mall and restaurants.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor? Share your experiences!