“OK for short visit” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“OK for short visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I was hoping to stay at the Campus Inn but it was a football weekend so I would have had to book for 3 nights which I did not need. This hotel was much cheaper as a result. I was there for a conference at the university and it was a short taxi ride in to the central campus. The room was surprisingly nice for the price, and the bed very comfortable. The bath tub was small, and had hairs in it when I checked in. The first morning the automated wake up call did not work. The next morning (when I had a flight), both the automated call and the individual call (they said they would do this to be sure I wouldn't miss the flight) worked.

The business center allows you to check your emails free. The breakfast is really awful--plastic eggs and bacon, but the orange juice is ok. This is not the place to stay if you don't have a car and just want to walk around Ann Arbor in between your meetings. The lobby is so small that it is a real zoo in the morning. But they did try, I have to give them credit for that!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
DuBois, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Excellent location in a business park. We felt very safe and secure, and the location was very quiet. The hotel appears to have recently been renovated with the exception of the hallway carpet. The carpeting in the room appeared to be brand-new, very clean. Beds were very comfortable with multiple pillows to choose from. Bathroom does not have much room to lay-out toiletries but otherwise excellent, again very clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was above standard hotel chain breakfasts as included hot items from which to choose. Only negative was the hallway carpet but then again, we weren't staying in the hallway, only passing thru. Hotel had a very clean, fresh smell.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We like Hampton Inns and chose this one for a quick trip. The front desk was beseiged at check-in time, but she got to us just as soon as she could. The workout room was not air-conditioned, which was a problem when the temperatures hit 80 degrees. But all in all, we had a pleasant stay with no other surprises.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I stayed at the Hampton Inn South for two nights in late June, for a family reunion. The property is a solid Hampton Inn (and that's a good thing). You get just what you expect from a Hampton: nice rooms, pool (although the water was WAY too hot), and a decent breakfast. The rooms are a bit on the small side, compared to other Hamptons at which I've stayed, but still workable and pleasant. The breakfast staff was especially pleasant and patient (the hotel was jammed that weekend, and the breakfast area was very busy). Front desk staff was okay, although perhaps a bit harried. There was one oddity about the hotel: the only doorway from the lobby to the rooms was narrow, and a fire door that was supposed to be kept closed. It caused some bottlenecks of people coming and going. I'm not sure what they can do about that, though. I'd stay again if in Ann Arbor.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Iowa City, IA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed in Ann Arbor for a wedding, where two of our three young children were ring bearer and flower girl. So, for the 3 nights were stayed, we came back pretty late with tired children. Each night we returned, our room was never cleaned, our garbage bins were never emptied, and our towels were never replaced. The final day we stayed, we left a housekeeping sign on the door outside to indicate we wanted our room cleaned. We saw housekeeping in our hallway, so assumed our room would be cleaned. That night we returned with the sign replaced inside the bathrrom door and nothing in our room was cleaned. So, a staff member had to enter our room to replace the sign and just ignored our room. The next morning upon check out, I complained to the front desk and I was reminded of Hampton Inn's 100% guarantee. I was told they'd have to look into how to refund my money (since I paid online advance payment) and they'd contact me. I waited 3 days and nothing...so I emailed them. Their first response said they couldn't give me 100% refund since I paid in advance (which said no refunds or cancellations) and only offered me one complimentary stay gift certificate. Also, it was implied that it was my fault I didn't tell them about my problem earlier. Should it really be the guest's job to remind them to clean our room?!?!? I replied firmly that 100% guarantee policy needed to upheld and the no refund policy was for no shows or early departures. Only then did they say that a refund check would be issued and would take 90 days! Added note: my husband told me later that when he was leaving our room to load our luggage, he saw a housekeeper cleaning the room across from us while watching the TV, and later saw her bringing breakfast from the guest complimentary buffet into the same room and closed the door to eat!!! Everyone else was nice, but it's hard to remain positive about a hotel that never cleans your room in 3 days! To make things worse, we had 3 kids and lots of diapers. We had to dump our own garbage once or twice. Overall, experience at the hotel was marred by the poor housekeeping staff and further insulted that it took some work to get their 100% guarantee policy in effect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We used this Hampton for a family get-together. The rooms were very clean, the pool was warm and the hot tub was actually hot! (rather than just warm.) The breakfast staff went out of their way to do a great job. Sunday was the only day they don't serve eggs. When someone mentioned they would like eggs, the staff made them. It's a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Overland Park,KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

They are in the process of remodeling this hotel, and the remodel looks good. Not to noisy. Good location, lots of eating places to eat. Hotel is clean and quiet.

Stayed August 2008

Been to Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South? Share your experiences!