“Solid” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 30 hotels in Ann Arbor
pa
“Solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We like Hampton Inns and chose this one for a quick trip. The front desk was beseiged at check-in time, but she got to us just as soon as she could. The workout room was not air-conditioned, which was a problem when the temperatures hit 80 degrees. But all in all, we had a pleasant stay with no other surprises.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I stayed at the Hampton Inn South for two nights in late June, for a family reunion. The property is a solid Hampton Inn (and that's a good thing). You get just what you expect from a Hampton: nice rooms, pool (although the water was WAY too hot), and a decent breakfast. The rooms are a bit on the small side, compared to other Hamptons at which I've stayed, but still workable and pleasant. The breakfast staff was especially pleasant and patient (the hotel was jammed that weekend, and the breakfast area was very busy). Front desk staff was okay, although perhaps a bit harried. There was one oddity about the hotel: the only doorway from the lobby to the rooms was narrow, and a fire door that was supposed to be kept closed. It caused some bottlenecks of people coming and going. I'm not sure what they can do about that, though. I'd stay again if in Ann Arbor.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Iowa City, IA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed in Ann Arbor for a wedding, where two of our three young children were ring bearer and flower girl. So, for the 3 nights were stayed, we came back pretty late with tired children. Each night we returned, our room was never cleaned, our garbage bins were never emptied, and our towels were never replaced. The final day we stayed, we left a housekeeping sign on the door outside to indicate we wanted our room cleaned. We saw housekeeping in our hallway, so assumed our room would be cleaned. That night we returned with the sign replaced inside the bathrrom door and nothing in our room was cleaned. So, a staff member had to enter our room to replace the sign and just ignored our room. The next morning upon check out, I complained to the front desk and I was reminded of Hampton Inn's 100% guarantee. I was told they'd have to look into how to refund my money (since I paid online advance payment) and they'd contact me. I waited 3 days and nothing...so I emailed them. Their first response said they couldn't give me 100% refund since I paid in advance (which said no refunds or cancellations) and only offered me one complimentary stay gift certificate. Also, it was implied that it was my fault I didn't tell them about my problem earlier. Should it really be the guest's job to remind them to clean our room?!?!? I replied firmly that 100% guarantee policy needed to upheld and the no refund policy was for no shows or early departures. Only then did they say that a refund check would be issued and would take 90 days! Added note: my husband told me later that when he was leaving our room to load our luggage, he saw a housekeeper cleaning the room across from us while watching the TV, and later saw her bringing breakfast from the guest complimentary buffet into the same room and closed the door to eat!!! Everyone else was nice, but it's hard to remain positive about a hotel that never cleans your room in 3 days! To make things worse, we had 3 kids and lots of diapers. We had to dump our own garbage once or twice. Overall, experience at the hotel was marred by the poor housekeeping staff and further insulted that it took some work to get their 100% guarantee policy in effect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We used this Hampton for a family get-together. The rooms were very clean, the pool was warm and the hot tub was actually hot! (rather than just warm.) The breakfast staff went out of their way to do a great job. Sunday was the only day they don't serve eggs. When someone mentioned they would like eggs, the staff made them. It's a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Overland Park,KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

They are in the process of remodeling this hotel, and the remodel looks good. Not to noisy. Good location, lots of eating places to eat. Hotel is clean and quiet.

Stayed August 2008
roadtestking
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

My family stayed at this hotel while visiting my daughter at U of M. My wife wanted to watch a show on the SciFi channel on Friday night of our stay so I made sure to call the hotel and they told me yes they did have the SciFi channel. Well when we checked in and found there was no SciFi channel, we were a little disappointed at the hotel. At this point it was too late to find another hotel so we just stayed for the night, but lesson learned. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast buffet was adequate. Ann Arbor is a great college town with lots of choices for restaurants. It is hard to find parking so use the parking decks and walk.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed here for three days and chose the room with the king bed and pullout sofa so our son could stay with us.

From check-in to -out everthing was perfect. The room was very clean and well furnished. The staff was as helpful as can be and got nothing wrong. For instance we needed extra shampoos: not only were they at the desk but the rest of our stay the cleaning staff left extra. The front desk even called us the night after we arrived to ask if everything was all right.

Breakfast was pretty good if a bit overcrowded. Free newspapers were available and the coffee pot was on 24 hours.

Two minor hassles: bathroom is fine but lacks a fan so room mirror steamed up. And there is no safe in the room although front desk pleasantly provided a safe box behind the front desk.

• Liked — Service service service.
  • Disliked — Steamed mirror in bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South? Share your experiences!