“VERY Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
New Baltimore, Michigan
“VERY Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My son was getting married and this was one of the recommended hotels. They were having a Sunday wedding and we were going to help with cleaning the hall afterward along with setting up beforehand. We called to make a reservation for Saturday and Sunday night a couple of months ahead of our arrival only to find that the hotel was fully booked for Saturday night. We didn't (nor did my son) know that on Saturday was a home U-M game and it was parents weekend so every hotel in the area had been booked for Saturday night. Sunday night wasn't a problem to get. The problem was that the wedding was at 3 in the afternoon and that is check-in time at the hotel, no time to dress beforehand. I called the hotel to verify our reservation the Wednesday before and asked if anything opened up on Saturday night. She said there was nothing with a king size bed. I asked if there was anything at all. Nope. I, just for the fun of it, went online and typed in the dates for this hotel. A room did show up as available for both nights but it was only a double bed. That was fine because my wife and I are very much in love and sleeping close together is not an issue! :) I booked it. We arrived Saturday, fully expecting to have to drive home because of some mistake but there wasn't. The only thing I can figure is that once we got the room, it seemed to be a handicapped room (which I didn't realize when I booked it) and most of the rooms in our area were empty.
Anyway, a long story to say we got our room for both nights. The rooms were clean and the staff at the hotel couldn't have been friendlier. Even staff that walked through the halls smiled and greeted us, asking if everything was going well. The breakfast the next morning was good, considering that the hotel was full with U-M fans all wanting breakfast also. We went down toward the end (9:00), expecting maybe only a doughnut everything was fully stocked, including scrambled eggs and sausage. I was impressed at this as I've been to many other hotels where the picking is slim if you arrive a hour after it opens let alone 3 hours afterward. That is another nice thing about the complimentary breakfast is that it was open from 6:00-10:00 unlike others that are open from 7-9. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I orchestrated 12+ family members stay at this beautiful hotel. We had a family emergency so finding a 3+ night stay at a hotel for everyone was tricky since a race and convention was in town. The hotel staff was GREAT, FRIENDLY, attentive to our needs. and very accommodating. The breakfast had lots of hot options too. The pictures on line don't do it justice. Special thanks to Danielle and Erica! We will be back. :)

Room Tip: Only king and double double beds are provided at this hotel...still VERY spacious
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I can't believe the negative reviews are really for this hotel. Home made cookies upon check in. Friendly, professional, helpful staff - I wanted some cotton balls and the woman behind the desk offered to go pick some up for me (in the end we found some cotton pads and she didn't need to go). The beds were heavenly - falling into them at the end of the day felt as I imagine being on a poofy cloud must feel. There were a variety of firm and soft pillows. The breakfast was more than a continental - fresh fruit as well as fruit cocktail, eggs, bacon or sausages, various breads and rolls, cold cereal, instant oatmeal - not to mention making your own waffles,which the kids loved!
It's true there was a class in the pool the day we arrived but it's also true that this did not mean guest could not use the pool - they just asked us not to splash the little old ladies who were doing their water exercises (it's just a small pool and not something you'd swim laps of so this wasn't an inconvenience, really). On our third day, someone puked in the pool so it was closed for 7 hours (I guess as the chlorine took effect). So, perhaps another guest will jump on that as reason to complain. However, I feel the hotel can't be held responsible for the fact that someone threw up in their pool and indeed can be commended for taking steps to insure that the pool remain safe and clean. It is Ann Arbor Michigan - if you want to be able to lounge by the pool or swim for hours, this might not be the best location for you. It is outside of the actual town of Ann Arbor but we found the difference in price to be worth driving in to town. There's a mall and some fast food eateries within walking distance. Would be very happy to stay here again - indeed, I hope I get a chance to!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel on a last minute trip to visit family. The reviews for the hotel were somewhat mediocre but we couldn't have been more pleased. All of the staff are friendly and courteous. We arrived at the hotel thinking we had a confirmation through Expedia, but we had apparently not finalized. The clerk was very pleasant and helpful; she worked with us to get a good rate even though it was a busy check- in time. The room was your standard Hampton room. Very comfortable and clean. The included breakfast was nothing special but adequate. Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Pool was closed the night we arrived. Opened the following morning, but when we went to swim, there was some sort of water aerobics class happening in the pool. It appeared that this was a community event -- not guests of the hotel. When we got in the pool, we were rudly asked to stay to the side and to not splash. REALLY????

Not the best way to treat guests.

Also, no queen beds -- disappointing. The breakfast area is also very cramped.

This is not a great place for families to stay.

Room Tip: Other hotels in neighborhood...plenty there.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
MadHans
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

My family was very disappointed with this hotel - not what we've come to expect from Hampton, and certainly NOT worth $119 per night.

Room - Hotel has no queen beds (at least that's what we were told. The room was small, dark and damp. Small double beds. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room.

Lobby is dingy and in need of an update.

The breakfast area is terrible. A long bar table with bar stools, and old, plastic upolstery couches along one wall with little tables. When we were there the place was overrun with high school athletes who monopolized the bar seating. A group of 3 families hogged the other seating for over 45 minutes - most of the time sipping coffee while their toddlers (who took 3 tables) just splattered sippy cups.

This should be a $60/night place at best. Poor value - rude, selfish guests. .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Until last week, it's been years since I've stayed at a Hampton Inn property. They have clearly upgraded their services in that time. The Ann Arbor South property made my overnight business trip very convenient. When you enter the hotel, there are big bowls of complimentary snacks and warm cookies for you. The beds were very comfortable and there were plenty of spaces to work with free wifi and outlets to plug in my electronic devices. The breakfast was hearty and there is a local gym that you can go to work out. All of this was complimentary and included in the room rate. All in all an excellent value and a good stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South? Share your experiences!