“A no frills stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Ann Arbor North

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Ann Arbor North to your Saves list
Residence Inn Ann Arbor North
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3535 Green Court, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor)   |
Ranked #13 of 30 hotels in Ann Arbor

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
new york city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We spent a long weekend during U.of Michigan commencement.
This hotel is modern,well maintained and conveniently situated near a shopping center . (Busch is anchor) and great coffee shop (Sweetwater). Reception and breakfast staff were courteous,helpful and pleasant. Exercise facilities and pool are much better than average.The Queen size bed was OK. Bathroom was of good size;soap,shampoo but no lotion provided.
As is apparently the local custom,room rates are doubled during event weekends. For the price of $160/night,we expected room cleaning to be included.When we found that not to be the case late on a Saturday afternoon,we were informed that we should have been notified to request this as some long term residents choose to omit this service (??). On notifying the front desk, an asst.manager appeared promptly and provided a quick room service and fresh towels as the housekeeping staff had all left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette Hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The value for a suites hotel was outstanding and the accommodations exceeded our expectations. The breakfast was much better than we expected also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Easton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have stayed at Hawthorn Suites numerous times when visiting my daughter in Ann Arbor. The hotel is dated, as other reviewers have noted, but very clean and located conveniently. The breakfast is nice, but we were disappointed when we stayed there a few months ago and they had no bread for toast on a busy Sunday morning. There is a grocery store 2 minutes away and I just can't imagine telling patrons, "sorry, we are out of bread" when they want to make toast. Yes, they had bagels and muffins, but that's not what the people were asking for.

My real issue was with my last stay. I decided to reserve a 1-bedroom suite on their website and the process was extremely quick and easy. I double checked the type room I chose (a separate bedroom with a pull out couch) to make sure I did not choose a studio by mistake. The studios are very nice, but we like having the separate bedroom.

When we arrived, check in went smoothly and we were on our way to our room in a few minutes. However, when we opened the door, we found we were in a studio. I immediately called the front desk and told them there was a mix-up. The nice young woman double checked the reservations and said the Internet Department apartment made a mistake since the price was the same for a 1-bedroom and a studio. She apologized and said they were completely booked and had no 1-bedrooms available. I asked about 2-bedrooms and she said they did not have any.

Before accepting the situation, my husband called the "800" number listed on the website and explained the situation. The woman he spoke to said she was from Customer Service in the Corporate office and she would call the hotel to see what was going on. While he held on, she placed the call, only to return to the phone a few minutes later, apologized and said there was nothing she could do.

Okay, I understand you can't make an empty room appear if you are all booked, but I would have expected them to comp the room or at least offer some kind of discount for our inconvenience. Nothing was offered. We just got lots of apologies and were left with a kind of "oh well" feeling from them. I can't tell you how disappointing this was, as it made our stay much more inconvenient. I was tempted to just put the luggage back in the car and try to find another place with a 1-bedroom suite, but then I would have had to deal with getting a refund, and we were already tired from an 8 hour drive.

My rating is not about the exterior, interior or amenities at this hotel. It is strictly about the customer service or lack thereof. I think I will make all my reservations over the phone from now on, or if I do book online, I will be sure to call the hotel and check, as the printed confirmation is of no use. Actually, I will be sure to double and triple check all my reservations no matter how they were made!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites for 1 month while doing research at the University of MIchigan's North Campus Research Complex, which is nearby. Although the hotel is somewhat dated, it has very comfortable beds and living areas, and a kitchen that is much better than many other extended stay-type hotels. It also offers a good breakfast buffet, and buffet-style meals are included three nights per week. There is a perfectly fine little fitness center, a pool, and hot tub. Busch's grocery store is right next door, as are a few restaurant/bars. The staff are very courteous, and my room was cleaned daily. My only serious complaint is that the wireless service is really bad and regularly cuts out,. Overall, though, I was extremely happy with my stay, and will plan to book this hotel again on my next Ann Arbor visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amber L, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor North, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear hadogenes,

Thank you for your kind words about the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and I will be sure to communicate your concerns about the Wi-Fi.

I also wanted to mention, as you have stated our rooms are a bit outdated, that we are in the first stages of a complete renovation due to start this Spring. That will include all new appliances, fixtures, furniture and more.

I hope to see you back again soon!

Amber Leja
Operations Manager - Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor

Been to Residence Inn Ann Arbor North? Share your experiences!