“Extremely good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Ann Arbor North

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Ann Arbor North to your Saves list
Residence Inn Ann Arbor North
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3535 Green Court, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor)   |
Ranked #13 of 30 hotels in Ann Arbor
Lafayette Hill
“Extremely good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The value for a suites hotel was outstanding and the accommodations exceeded our expectations. The breakfast was much better than we expected also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Easton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have stayed at Hawthorn Suites numerous times when visiting my daughter in Ann Arbor. The hotel is dated, as other reviewers have noted, but very clean and located conveniently. The breakfast is nice, but we were disappointed when we stayed there a few months ago and they had no bread for toast on a busy Sunday morning. There is a grocery store 2 minutes away and I just can't imagine telling patrons, "sorry, we are out of bread" when they want to make toast. Yes, they had bagels and muffins, but that's not what the people were asking for.

My real issue was with my last stay. I decided to reserve a 1-bedroom suite on their website and the process was extremely quick and easy. I double checked the type room I chose (a separate bedroom with a pull out couch) to make sure I did not choose a studio by mistake. The studios are very nice, but we like having the separate bedroom.

When we arrived, check in went smoothly and we were on our way to our room in a few minutes. However, when we opened the door, we found we were in a studio. I immediately called the front desk and told them there was a mix-up. The nice young woman double checked the reservations and said the Internet Department apartment made a mistake since the price was the same for a 1-bedroom and a studio. She apologized and said they were completely booked and had no 1-bedrooms available. I asked about 2-bedrooms and she said they did not have any.

Before accepting the situation, my husband called the "800" number listed on the website and explained the situation. The woman he spoke to said she was from Customer Service in the Corporate office and she would call the hotel to see what was going on. While he held on, she placed the call, only to return to the phone a few minutes later, apologized and said there was nothing she could do.

Okay, I understand you can't make an empty room appear if you are all booked, but I would have expected them to comp the room or at least offer some kind of discount for our inconvenience. Nothing was offered. We just got lots of apologies and were left with a kind of "oh well" feeling from them. I can't tell you how disappointing this was, as it made our stay much more inconvenient. I was tempted to just put the luggage back in the car and try to find another place with a 1-bedroom suite, but then I would have had to deal with getting a refund, and we were already tired from an 8 hour drive.

My rating is not about the exterior, interior or amenities at this hotel. It is strictly about the customer service or lack thereof. I think I will make all my reservations over the phone from now on, or if I do book online, I will be sure to call the hotel and check, as the printed confirmation is of no use. Actually, I will be sure to double and triple check all my reservations no matter how they were made!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites for 1 month while doing research at the University of MIchigan's North Campus Research Complex, which is nearby. Although the hotel is somewhat dated, it has very comfortable beds and living areas, and a kitchen that is much better than many other extended stay-type hotels. It also offers a good breakfast buffet, and buffet-style meals are included three nights per week. There is a perfectly fine little fitness center, a pool, and hot tub. Busch's grocery store is right next door, as are a few restaurant/bars. The staff are very courteous, and my room was cleaned daily. My only serious complaint is that the wireless service is really bad and regularly cuts out,. Overall, though, I was extremely happy with my stay, and will plan to book this hotel again on my next Ann Arbor visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amber L, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor North, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear hadogenes,

Thank you for your kind words about the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and I will be sure to communicate your concerns about the Wi-Fi.

I also wanted to mention, as you have stated our rooms are a bit outdated, that we are in the first stages of a complete renovation due to start this Spring. That will include all new appliances, fixtures, furniture and more.

I hope to see you back again soon!

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I recently took an extended business trip to Ann Arbor(right around 3 months), and had the pleasure of staying at the Hawthorn Suites. It was suggested by a co-worker who had recently visited for work. I will admit the hotel is dated; however, I believe they are going to be remodeling shortly. For the age of the property it is very clean, they take great care to keep the property in good condition for the guest.

The staff of the hotel also makes the stay a pleasant one. I was a long way from home and the hotel staff were all very friendly and happy to take time to chat with me it made the nights away from my family much more bearable.

Also if you are on a business trip, there are a few perks to living here, a few night a week the hotel provides a complementary dinner; for a free dinner it is very good, saves me a from having going out at night. Additionally they have dry-cleaning drop off at the desk in the morning, with return in the afternoon.

As far as location goes; the hotel is about 15 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor. It is generally on the edge of Ann Arbor, making it easy to get to the highway and the Detroit Airport(about 30 min), I made that trip a lot.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning on staying in Ann Arbor for an extended period of time, my stay was nice and if I ever need to go back I will be staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Aaron T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor. Your feedback is extremely helpful as it helps us make the Hawthorn Suites a better place for all of our guests.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at the Hawthorn Suites. You are correct about the renovation, that is due to start this Spring. It will be a complete renovation of the entire property, so if you're ever in town again please stop in to see the updates!

If you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to reach out to me personally at 734-327-0011 or at leja.amber@gmail.com

North Andover, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is nothing special to write home about. Lackluster signage make it difficult to see when entering their parking lot. My driver had to specifically point it out, because he said women get spooked going down the dark road. Great indication of what may come?

To note - I did not get in, in-time for the dinner, nor did I go to pool or fitness center. This review is on the hotel room.

Mind you, I am not paying for this room - here for a night, meeting in the morning. So I shouldn't complain too much, but hope that my comment will I be seen and hopefully one day heard by Hawthorn.

Get into room - thought it was nice when I walked in, then I looked at the very shabby furniture, the old Zenith tvs in the living area and when I went into where the bathroom is located, the cupboards were cracked, and overall worn out with the wood faded.

I then thought that there was a pleasant smell to the room (clean & aerosol) but once the aerosol wore off the room just smells like dirty gym clothes. The carpets I am assuming are old and with worn furniture, smells are just trapped. As I write this, I am smelling it now.

Bed was comfortable, shower worked.. But for your money (or in my case, comfort when traveling on business) I would recommend somewhere else when there are a number of hotels within a 2 mile radius.

I hope this Hawthorn has plans to update this hotel, it's in a great location. But needs to be refreshed and brought up to standards of travel with Wyndham in it's name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amber L, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor North, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Valerie S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions of the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor. I want you to know that your feedback is very important to us as it helps us provide better service and accommodations for all of our guests.

I am sad to hear that you did not find your time at the Hawthorn Suites enjoyable. I noticed your attention to the out-dated furniture and TVs we have in our rooms. We are planning a renovation due to start this spring that will renovate the entire property- including all new fixtures in the rooms, all new furniture and new flat screen TVs, to better accommodate our more modern business traveler.

With that said, I hope you know that your voice was heard and we are working toward making the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor a better place to stay. It is my sincere hope that you will visit again once our renovation is complete.

If you have any questions, or any further comments, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 734-327-0011 or at leja.amber@gmail.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We live within a few blocks of this hotel and we recently lost our power during a storm and needed a place to stay. They had all the accommodations we were looking for, for a family of 4. We ended up staying for 2 nights and it was a great place to stay. The staff went above and beyond to meet our needs and were so friendly. The meals were delicious. The rooms were a nice size and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. My one and only complaint is that the rooms are outdated. It just needs a renovation and this place will be perfect!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear AvaJa,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us at the Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor. I do understand your attention to the outdated rooms, and we are planning a complete renovation due to start this Spring.

We hope to have you back again soon,

Operations Manager - Hawthorn Suites Ann Arbor

Been to Residence Inn Ann Arbor North? Share your experiences!