“Very Rude General Manager, Poor Maintenance & Over-Inflated Pricing. Stay Elsewhere If You Can.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor (University South)

You added Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor (University South) to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor (University South)
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3505 South State Street, I-94 at South State Street, Exit #177, Ann Arbor, MI 48108   |
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Maggie, with an attitude like yours you should be fired!

This was our second stay at this place and will likely be our last.

MIS Speedway is about 35 miles away so we have stayed there during NASCAR weekends and have also stayed at the Hampton Inn next-door. Even being 35 miles from the track these properties like to stick it to you price-wise, where a room that is worth $60 a night goes for $130.

I had a question that I wanted to talk to the General Manager, "Maggie", about. So I called and asked who the G.M. was and if I could speak to her. The girl who answered the phone was trying to help me but it really was the G.M. that I needed to talk to, so she went and got her. Maggie came to the phone with an attitude right off the bat and it continued throughout the entire conversation: Rude, Short, Demeaning, Unprofessional, etc. This is how you treat a paying customer???!!!

Aside from that, the other issue was the number of items in the room that were either loose, broken or dirty.

Do yourself (and me) a favor: Don't support this place and put any money into Maggie's paycheck. Stay at the Hampton instead. Maybe her bosses can be rude to her and show her the door when business tanks!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
phila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

There were three of us staying in the room. The toilet and shower are in one room while the sink area is in the main bedroom area. So if someone is brushing their tooth, anyone who wants to try to sleep cannot. Our stay was for two nights. While the room was clean upon arrival, the maid forgot to clean it on our first day there. We had to go to the front desk to get clean towels. Everyone was very nice and apologized for the inconvenience. They also took a few dollars off of our room bill. Nonetheless, I don't think I'd go back there unless there were no other rooms available in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Nothing too unseen here in the sub-$100, recently "remodeled" motel set. Fairly highly trafficked and the front desk staff is nice enough. The rooms are pretty worn, the furniture and flooring has been replaced within the last five years but other things remain original and that is why I put remodeled in quotation marks.

But, seriously, what do you expect for $70-90/night? It was pretty clean and quiet. Bathroom was extremely small and the water pressure was possibly 20/gallons a minute.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is your typical Red Roof, with a few distinctions. The receptionists were geomorphology and French literature majors, the facility is far larger than most, and it was nicely remodeled (probably in 2010). The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and I slept like a rock.

The continental breakfast was standard, which is to say a bit regrettable: defrosted pastries and bagels, cold cereal, a bit of fruit and institutional coffee. Not awful, just not special. We drove to Zingerman's, which is a 10 minute drive. (Check the reviews!)

I've stayed here before and will do so again.

Room Tip: check online for discounted rates. our double queen room was $70
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

This was one of the least expensive hotels I found in the area and was very surprised at how nice it was for that price. Nice furniture, flat screen tv, good sized fridge.

Probably the worst blankets I've seen on a bed at a hotel, I'm pretty sure they were just large curtains. The rooms are a little cramped if you get the double queen beds.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
St Paul, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at this place in 10/10 for a college visit in part b/c of the free wireless (to keep up with work). The room's access didn't work and I needed to work with front desk staff and eventually move to another room. The gal was pretty rude and off-putting, then strangely became friendly. Whatever - the new room worked out and Red Roof offered basic amenities at a good price, which is what we wanted.

Room Tip: Be clear about your specific needs.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Howell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

When I think of Red Roof Inn's I think about how stinky and small and old looking they are. When I came into this hotel the front desk agent was very nice, checkin was quick. Our room had an updated T.V and the bed was comfy. The toilet (this might seem weird...) was way to high from the ground Im short 5'3'' and could barley touch the ground with my toes. It was very close to where we were going out to which made it very convenient. For the rate that we got (56.00) with taxes I cannot complain. The only thing I recommend is they have people with trailors attached park somewhere else instead of the first 7 spaces right by the door, so getting back late and having to walk all the way across the parking lot because some retarded decided to be rude, really hit my nerves and I wish the agents would have said something to them. Other then that, great stay, great price and not a bad free breakfast. Cereal, Bagles, Toast, Muffins, Pastries, and assorted Juices.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor (University South)? Share your experiences!