“DISSAPOINTMENT” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Court

You added Kensington Court to your Saves list
Kensington Court
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Hilton Boulevard, Ann Arbor, MI 48108 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Ann Arbor)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Chicago
“DISSAPOINTMENT”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed at this property for a night (scheduled for two). This was advertised as a (supposed) 3 star hotel that I won on Priceline. I was told the property name after the fact. Perhaps once a long time ago, it was, but not now. It is in desperate need of updating. I read some previous posts about the thin walls, peeling wallpaper, etc. I hoped for the best, but alas, it is all 100% true. The halls have very low ceilings that make it seem very close. All the rooms (I saw 3) smelled badly of smoke. This property has been non-smoking since 5/1/10. I could have upgraded for $20, but there was no real added value to me.

At check in, I mentioned some of the issues that I read about the property in hopes that they would want to put their best foot forward. I was told that it was just the competition bad mouthing their property. I took numerous pictures.

I checked in at 5:30 and went out to dinner with friends. I returned at midnight. There were very strong storms in the area and the roads were covered with water. When I entered the lobby, the lights were very dim. It seems that the power grid was down, and the hotel had no tv, radio, or hot water and limited lights. I was told that it would be out 2-3 hours. It was too hot and sticky for me to sleep. I went to the desk at 3 am and was told that they had no new information. I went back at 8 am and was told that the power company did not work at night and that they were called recently. At 9 am I was told the same thing, but the tv worked. I still had no air, or hot water, nor sleep for that mater. At 10 am I asked to be sent to another hotel if they could not give me some idea as to when power might be restored. I was told that all Ann Arbor hotels were in the same state and that the phones did not work so they could not help me. I called Priceline for help, to no avail.

I drove 1 block to the next hotel. It had full power and I was told that they never lost power. I called Priceline with this info. After I navigated their long-winded voice menu and after talking to 7 different people, I was offered half of my money back. I stated that I did not get much value because of all of the issues. They reminded me that name your own price means no refunds or alterations. I protested strongly. I guess that this was better than nothing so I got out as fast as possible.

I do not blame the hotel for the power loss, but I do blame their staff for lack of apathy and with one staff member, out right belligerence.

A deal is only a deal if you get what was promised. This did not happen here.

The good:

Great rate on Priceline.
Carpet seemed clean

The bad:

Outdated, low ceilings, Smell of smoke, Poor water pressure, tiny doors to bathrooms, thinnest sheets I have ever seen, some staff need more training, I could clearly hear conversations in the next rooms, and loud slamming doors.

I would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

The KC is the former Crowne Plaza and is operated jointly with the HI Express next door by the same management company.

The hotel is located right opposite the briarwood mall which has a public transport to the rest of the town running frequently.

The areas has many eateries and can be reached conveniently by car as its right of the I94 exit.

The I94 cannot be heard from the rooms we had. This is unlike the HI Exp next door!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

The hotel is looking a bit tired- with maintenance needing to spend a bit more time on the little details- peeling wallpaper in two spots over the headboard and some bad paint & moldy trim between tub and door. Some of the public areas looked worn out as well- poor ceiling tiles, etc. Walls are thin. That being said, the bed was comfy and the location good for shopping or U of M adventures.The staff at the Kensington was very attentive, good directions and information about the area. It self advertises as a "luxury hotel" and I can't say that our experience lived up to that.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Despite the fancy name, don't get your hopes up that this place will be better than Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn or any of the other numerous hotels nearby that you can choose from. Its adequate, but tired. THE EXECUTIVE level rooms with their higher price are a JOKE. NO extra ameneties AT ALL. None. Not even the continental breakfast they advertised. Not even a newspaper at your door. And don't believe that the beds are upgraded because ours was old and saggy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Kensington Court Hotel in Ann Arbor, MI February 27th for our 4 year wedding anniversary and the stay was wonderful. The staff at the hotel and Graham Restaurant was very helpful and pleasant. The amenities the hotel offer was superb. The swimming pool, hot tub, and sauna were intimate and relaxing. My husband and I have committed to coming there every year for our anniversary. The Romance Package was affordable and offered more than enough. We were so excited and please once we left the hotel. Compliments to the chef and waitresses at Graham Restaurant the experience was memorable. We hope to see everyone next year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
PhillPHP, Revenue Manager at Kensington Court, responded to this review, March 20, 2010
We are so happy to hear that our guests are enjoying our Romance Package! We are offering our Romance Package at an even deeper discount for our repeat Romance Package guests on select dates. Just give our Reservation's Department a call for more information. (800) 344-7829
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I spent several months and thousands of dollars planning our wedding reception. We had our reception in the larger reception room and everything went smoothly until the very end of the night. One of the 2 bars we were told we would be open until a designated time during the reception closed early and must have said something to our guests about getting too many drinks.

When we were planning the reception we had a timeline all worked out and were told that we could have our reception run later than 12:30 if we wanted. Well the night of they turned on the lights and told us it was time to clean up. I inquired about our wedding cake top layer and the person in charge told me that they would keep it for me for the night and to ask for it at the front counter in the morning (I'll get back to that later).

My in-laws are great with larger groups of people and had planned on hosting an "after party" in their room and some other rooms down the hall of our blocked off rooms. Before my new husband and I had a chance to change our clothes our after party had gotten kicked out of the rooms because they booked non wedding people down the same hallway. I feel that is poor managing since wedding guests will most likely not be returning to their rooms until after midnight and we had several people staying in the hotel. So with or without the after party several doors would be opening and closing. The hotel personal did offer us the lobby if we wanted to continue to hang out. That was a plus for us.

All and all I they did a good job with our reception. Pros: professional, timely with returning calls, moderately priced, friendly staff with exception of the bar personal that closed down one of our bars, food was great, our honey moon suite was beautiful, cost of food included a lot of extras some places charge for (cake cutting, hall rental, bartenders). Cons: would have liked the wedding reception to go longer, booking non-wedding rooms in the same block as wedding guests' room, we did not have hot water in the showers in our honey moon suite but only in the large bath, and lastly the morning after we tried to claim our top layer of our cake to be told that it wasn't there. I let my husband deal with this since we had several of our of town guests leaving at the same moment and I was trying to keep from crying. Once the wedding planner was reached we were informed that our entire cake was cut. In our contract it was in bold print that our top layer was to be saved and that our baker was leaving a box for it in the kitchen. I know that there was more than enough cake (per my order cake order) and this was also evidenced by the plates of cake left over at the end of the night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Comfortable, close to work, a great mall and the university.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Kensington Court? Share your experiences!