“Great menu selection.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Habana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #286 of 517 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Habana is located below Lena, our South American-style restaurant on the corner of S. Main and Liberty in Ann Arbor. Habana features South American appetizers and dinners, along with creative cocktails, salsa dancing and a decor of original brick walls and stone archways. Private rooms, which run under Liberty Street, are available for small gatherings.
Detroit, Michigan
“Great menu selection.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I really like the menu at Cafe Habana- it had quite a variety of dishes to choose from. You could go back several times and have a completely different meal each time. We had the regular margaritas which were a bit peculiar tasting- very large and not much tequila. I would ask for a smaller size with extra tequila next time. We did not have an appetizer but they sounded good although I spied someone with the calamari and it was that big breaded type which I don’t care for very much. My entree was the Ropa Vieja which I was told was the most traditional item on the menu. The plate looked nice with a pretty large serving portion. The sauce was well flavored with peppers and the rice was tasty. The meat was a little tough and chewy- I preferred to eat just the sauce, peppers and rice. I really liked the tostones. We had the tres leches cake for dessert. It had a good flavor- the presentation was a little “eh.” I don’t care to be served a piece of cake that was from the side of the pan [I always trim that off of any cake when serving] and it was a little lopsided. I think they need to work on the presentation of that dessert. The chocolate pudding sounded good but that will have to wait for next time. The restaurant was designed and decorated well; very comfortable.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Management741, Guest Relations Manager at Habana, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
PaulaHP --

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit -- and our ropa vieja! Thank you so much for visiting Habana and taking the time to post a review of your positive experience. We'd love to know what we can do in the future to exceed your expectations! Please feel free to contact our General Manager John Sleamon at (734) 994-2773 to provide additional information about your experience. Your feedback and support is much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!

Ann Arbor
“Twice was enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I've dined here a couple of times. The food is interesting. Liked the spicy corn. But it is noisy and the service leaves much to be desired. In general college kids make for amateur waitstaff, particularly if undertrained. Nice ambiance.

Visited March 2011
brooktroutchaser --

Thank you so much for visiting Habana and taking the time to share your feedback. We're truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. We want to ensure our customers have an excellent experience and we apologize that our standards, as well as yours, were not upheld. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely address your concerns. Please feel free to contact our General Manager John Sleamon at (734) 994-2773 to provide further information. We hope we are able to exceed your expectations in the future!
Virginia
“First Stab at Cuban Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is a favorite for my daughter and son-in-law. The restaurant was crowded at lunch time but we were seated quickly...it was graduation weekend at UMich. This was my first venture into Cuban food so I cannot judge the cuisine authenticity, but I liked what I had. We ordered an appetizer of mariquitas which came with two dipping sauces which I really enjoyed. I settled on ordering the "pan con bistec" sandwich. The beef was a little chewier than I would like, but the sandwich itself was tasty. I like spicy food, and this hit the mark. As the restaurant filled up it became quite a bit noisier and the tables didn't have a lot of room in between them to maneuver. I would say the service was a bit slow, but given the crowds, I expect that it was like this all over Ann Arbor that day.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
VEC24 --

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit! Thank you so much for visiting Habana and taking the time to post a review of your positive experience. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, but we'd love to know what we can do in the future to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact our General Manager John Sleamon at (734) 994-2773 to provide more information about your visit. Your feedback and support is very important to us and we hope to see you again soon!
Pueblo, Colorado
“Great drinks, atmosphere, appetizers; so-so meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

This is a great place to go for drinks and appetizers. The bar downstairs is lively and the atmosphere is fun. Good mojitos and local beers. Try the goat cheese and calamari appetizers. Top notch. But, when it's time to tuck in to a big meal I'd probably recommend another destination. Maybe it's authentic Cuban food but I found it somewhat dull and bland.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
dr_otto --

Thank you so much for visiting Habana and taking the time to post a review of your positive experience. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit -- and our calamari appetizer -- but we'd love to know what we can do in the future to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact our General Manager John Sleamon at (734) 994-2773 to provide further information about your experience with us. Your feedback and support is much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Big Fan.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Their seafood dishes never dissapoint and I love the homemade salsa. The menu is very diverse and the atmosphere is wonderful - makes one feel like they are in Miami.

• 5 of 5 stars Food