“Good place to stay for the winter classic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor

You added Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 (Formerly Clarion Hotel and Conference Center W)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Toronto, Canada
“Good place to stay for the winter classic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here the night before the winter classic at Michigan Stadium. The hotel room was nice and the staff were helpful. The hotel ran a shuttle service to the game that made getting there really easy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I were heading to Ann Arbor to catch the Winter Classic (Go Leafs!) and obviously all the hotels doubled/tripled their rates. Normally the Clarion is about $80/night and we paid $200/night. Would I ever pay $200 to stay there, probably not, not worth it.
We arrived before check-in and the front staff were kind enough to hold our bags until it was time for check-in. It was a 10 min drive from Michigan stadium, and because it was a big event, the cabbies were also jacking up their prices.
After the game, we checked-in and the front staff ladies were amazing, especially with the amount of drunk people coming in. They were courteous and friendly the whole time.
The hotel had an open concept design, I kinda felt like I was at the Luxor in Vegas, minus the slot machines. The majority of the rooms faced the inside of the hotel, and I wished we had our window facing the outdoors. We could hear all the noise that was happening downstairs, especially by the pool.
We went to the restaurant to grab some dinner and hostess/waitress was not friendly. She was training someone and we didn't want to interrupt, but we stood there for a while before she finally acknowledged us. It took them half an hour to get our food because they waited for the other people's orders to be ready until they brought it all out. People who ordered 20 mins after us, received their food within 10 mins. We didn't order anything fancy, we just ordered burgers. As soon as we started eating, more people from the game started to arrive, and you could tell it was going to get busy. For some reason, the hostess/waitress sent the trainee home. He was probably there for an hour, he didn't look too happy. I get that it was getting busy and she didn't have time to train him, I'm sure she could've found something for him to do, so she didn't have to do everything by herself.
After dinner, we head back to the room to unwind, and we discovered there wasn't hot water. I dialed front desk, but ended up connecting to another room. Front desk's number was being call forwarded to another room but that got sorted out quickly. After an hour, the hot water tanks were up and running but it wasn't as hot as it could have been, it was more like having a luke warm shower.
In the morning, I woke up with a rash around my neck and shoulder. I must've picked it up from the pillows because the rest of my body was ok. Again, hot water wasn't available, only freezing cold.
I don't think I would stay at the hotel again, the only good thing about the hotel was the front staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Antoine A, Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion/Ann Arbor to accommodate you for the Winter Classics!

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. However, we are very happy to hear that the front desk staff was satisfactory, and that you enjoyed the setup of the hotel. Thank you for brining up the bartender issue to our attention. We have since addressed the issue with the bartender and the new staff is being trained and back to work.

We try our best to providing excellent service to our guests. The hot water issue was very unfortunate circumstances, and we apologize for letting you down.

Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had a booking there for this new years eve in hopes of spending the night in AA then going to the Winter Classic the next morning. Unfortunately life circumstances came up and I can no longer make the trip. They refuse to work with me and say that they will not cancel the reservation under any circumstances and I will be charged the full nights rate even if I cancel. This is for a room that I haven't even paid for yet. Keep in mind that that this night is going to be the busiest night for Ann Arbor hotels in years and that all the surrounding hotels are sold out, meaning if they put my room back on the market they could easily sell it for more than they sold it to me, not to mention I called to cancel over a week before I was set to check in. Completely unreasonable and unhelpful management. Will not be staying at any Clarion Hotel in the future.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations in regards to your request for canceling a reservation. The hotel policies and procedures are guidelines for our staff to follow to ensure customer's satisfaction. Cancelation policies are made according to potential events in the area to maximize potential hotel occupancy.

Unfortunately, your request was not met due to the cancelation policy in place for the Winter Classics. I can assure you that our team do their best to accommodate all guests without breaking hotel policies.

I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future so that we can have chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Lowell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have always had wonderful rooms at this property for my husband, two young granddarlings, and me. The pool isn't huge, but it's perfect for a seven-year-old and five-year-old. The hot tub is great. The morning breakfast is probably the best we have had at a hotel/motel "free" breakfast. We have stayed here numerous times, and our granddarlings request it as a birthday present stay.

Room Tip: I don't have a tip for you. We ask for two queen sized beds and the best value for rooms availa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Ginny,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your post will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Clarion Hotel
734-665-4444
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We found this hotel on Priceline...described as a two star hotel, yet we have stayed at much, much nicer 2 star hotels, some of which have been our favourite places to stay...one of the few times that Priceline has let us down...

Pros: free wi-fi, small refrigerator in room, payed only 78$/night + taxes (although our fave hotel only cost us $45/night!), nice water pressure in the shower, the bedding kept us warm and was okay, we were provided with a King sized bed as opposed to two double beds

Cons: Oh Goodness, lots of cons...
*saying that this place is dated isn't even accurate, the decor looked to be from the '70's - yet if the style of the wallpaper and carpeting were the only concerns about the dated hotel it wouldn't be so bad...
*the wall paper was peeling in many places, the paint was peeling/chipping
*there seemed to be stains everywhere on the walls/ceiling - was not certain if they were new/old stains, but I would have expected them to have been painted over
*the gold and silver faucets were years and years old,
*while blowdrying my hair with the hotel hair dryer (I didn't know that hotels still used this outdated and terribly cheap dryer any longer!) the lights dimmed in the washroom area
*while showering, the temperature changed a few times, much like it might at home if someone else is using a sink/toilet
*I asked for a new light bulb for the bedside lamp, however upon changing it, the lamp did not even work!
*the alarm clock was 25 minutes ahead - not a huge issue, but I think it speaks to the whole hotel being "off"
*the room had a slightly damp/musty smell, yet we did get used to it
*our bed seemed to have cracks in the headboard and were sloppily glued back together
*there had been a children's birthday party taking place at the pool and the guests left several pizza boxes near the garbage, they overfilled the garbage and left several wet towels near the garbage area as well - I observed this early in the evening at approx. 9:30 pm - I was disappointed to see that when we checked out at 10:30 am the next morning that all of the same items were still in the same spot, not having been moved! - I was dismayed to know that there was not a cleaning person or staff who saw this during the previous 12+ hours and who made the effort to clear this area
*similarly to above, the carpets did not appear to be cleaned at all during the night and remained dirty with leaves and outside debris
*the pop/water machines were way too expensive at $1.75 per bottle of water
*the staff were friendly, yet not seeming to have any real enthusiasm or interest in their job

We appreciate that the outside is receiving a makeover, however perhaps the inside needs an overhaul first, starting with a few rooms at a time. When we return to Ann Arbor, we will not use Priceline's "name your own price" fearing that we will wind up in this hotel again. It was not an overwhelming awful experience, yet I did give me a wee bit of the "heebie jeebies". Knowing that there are many wonderful hotel experiences nearby, we will choose those the next time we travel to Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: No tips to add - this wasn't an awful experience, yet not an experience that I'd like to enc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Clarion in Ann Arbor. It was a disaster. Our family needed 3 rooms and booked them way ahead for the weekend of Homecoming at UM. The prices are raised all over town. We understand that, but this place, at $169. per night, was not even trying to meet our needs. We asked for a different room immediately due to the strong chlorine smell of the indoor pool just outside our room, and the total lack of ventilation in our room. I am allergic to chlorine and have issues with air quality. There was no window in our room due to renovation, which is ongoing. We were denied a change of room in spite of the fact that our other friends and family were not yet checked in...and we could have been offered those much nicer rooms. When they arrived, they showed us their rooms, and could not understand the discrepancy...we were all paying the same rate.
During the night there was heavy rain. In the morning we were shocked to find my husband's leather shoe, and my toilet bag completely soaked. There was a large puddle on the floor beneath the rack of hangers, where we luckily had not hung our clothes, or they too, would have been soaked. We reported the leak to the front desk, and they changed our room to an identical one on the floor above, which had not been occupied the night before! We asked for a rebate or reduction of the room rate for that first night. My husband had no other shoes, and had to wear the wet one! Many of the items in my bag were ruined. We showed both to the girl on duty at the desk. She said the manager would have to deal with this and was not there. There was no manager onsite at all on this busy, fully booked weekend!
When we checked out the following morning, the manager was there, and claimed the first room had been checked and there was no leak, so nothing would be done for us. The girl who had seen our wet items was standing there smirking at us. (the man on duty the previous night told us the wrong room had been checked for leaks.) The manager denied this.
We are outraged. DO NOT TRUST THIS PLACE! Renovations had caused leaks all over the hotel after that night of rain. Even the breakfast area had been flooded.
We are going to contest the charge for the first night with our credit card company. The manager said "go right ahead". THIS IS CUSTOMER CARE????

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues you experienced regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. I would like take this opportunity to address these issues.
Unfortunately at your check-in day the hotel was fully booked and there was no rooms available to move you to avoid the chlorine smell from the first floor you requested. The room that you checked-in to do not have windows. Not because of the renovation you did not have a window in your room. Moving to your friend’s room was not an option because rooms are pre-assigned. However, your friends could have asked us to switch rooms with you.
The section of the building you were in is a two story structure. Therefore, if there was a leak from the roof due to heavy rain, your room will not be flooded. When you brought the issue to the front desk staff the next day they acted quickly and moved you to the second floor (some rooms were available the next day). Our staff took the time to inspect the room including our housekeeper, head housekeeper, front desk manager, and the General Manager only to find out there was no leaks in the room. Managers were on duty during the weekend, and the room was inspected by two different managers.
Your satisfaction is important to us and we will ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Again, we apologize for any misunderstand on our behalf.

Management
Clarion Hotel
734-665-4444
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The good news- beds are good! Ann Arbor is small enough to make location less important, but very close to I 94. Extraordinarily bad decor, dissonant colors and patterns, details overlooked, a lot of makeshift fixes. Breakfast okay, although quite artificial... Here with a group on game day. This hotel is survivable. A new category for me.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We are working on a renovation plan that will be implemented in the upcoming months to enhance the hotel.

Antoine Altawil
General Manage

Been to Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor? Share your experiences!