“Great for young granddarlings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor

You added Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 (Formerly Clarion Hotel and Conference Center W)   |
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Lowell, Michigan
“Great for young granddarlings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have always had wonderful rooms at this property for my husband, two young granddarlings, and me. The pool isn't huge, but it's perfect for a seven-year-old and five-year-old. The hot tub is great. The morning breakfast is probably the best we have had at a hotel/motel "free" breakfast. We have stayed here numerous times, and our granddarlings request it as a birthday present stay.

Room Tip: I don't have a tip for you. We ask for two queen sized beds and the best value for rooms availa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Ginny,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your post will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

734-665-4444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We found this hotel on Priceline...described as a two star hotel, yet we have stayed at much, much nicer 2 star hotels, some of which have been our favourite places to stay...one of the few times that Priceline has let us down...

Pros: free wi-fi, small refrigerator in room, payed only 78$/night + taxes (although our fave hotel only cost us $45/night!), nice water pressure in the shower, the bedding kept us warm and was okay, we were provided with a King sized bed as opposed to two double beds

Cons: Oh Goodness, lots of cons...
*saying that this place is dated isn't even accurate, the decor looked to be from the '70's - yet if the style of the wallpaper and carpeting were the only concerns about the dated hotel it wouldn't be so bad...
*the wall paper was peeling in many places, the paint was peeling/chipping
*there seemed to be stains everywhere on the walls/ceiling - was not certain if they were new/old stains, but I would have expected them to have been painted over
*the gold and silver faucets were years and years old,
*while blowdrying my hair with the hotel hair dryer (I didn't know that hotels still used this outdated and terribly cheap dryer any longer!) the lights dimmed in the washroom area
*while showering, the temperature changed a few times, much like it might at home if someone else is using a sink/toilet
*I asked for a new light bulb for the bedside lamp, however upon changing it, the lamp did not even work!
*the alarm clock was 25 minutes ahead - not a huge issue, but I think it speaks to the whole hotel being "off"
*the room had a slightly damp/musty smell, yet we did get used to it
*our bed seemed to have cracks in the headboard and were sloppily glued back together
*there had been a children's birthday party taking place at the pool and the guests left several pizza boxes near the garbage, they overfilled the garbage and left several wet towels near the garbage area as well - I observed this early in the evening at approx. 9:30 pm - I was disappointed to see that when we checked out at 10:30 am the next morning that all of the same items were still in the same spot, not having been moved! - I was dismayed to know that there was not a cleaning person or staff who saw this during the previous 12+ hours and who made the effort to clear this area
*similarly to above, the carpets did not appear to be cleaned at all during the night and remained dirty with leaves and outside debris
*the pop/water machines were way too expensive at $1.75 per bottle of water
*the staff were friendly, yet not seeming to have any real enthusiasm or interest in their job

We appreciate that the outside is receiving a makeover, however perhaps the inside needs an overhaul first, starting with a few rooms at a time. When we return to Ann Arbor, we will not use Priceline's "name your own price" fearing that we will wind up in this hotel again. It was not an overwhelming awful experience, yet I did give me a wee bit of the "heebie jeebies". Knowing that there are many wonderful hotel experiences nearby, we will choose those the next time we travel to Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: No tips to add - this wasn't an awful experience, yet not an experience that I'd like to enc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Clarion in Ann Arbor. It was a disaster. Our family needed 3 rooms and booked them way ahead for the weekend of Homecoming at UM. The prices are raised all over town. We understand that, but this place, at $169. per night, was not even trying to meet our needs. We asked for a different room immediately due to the strong chlorine smell of the indoor pool just outside our room, and the total lack of ventilation in our room. I am allergic to chlorine and have issues with air quality. There was no window in our room due to renovation, which is ongoing. We were denied a change of room in spite of the fact that our other friends and family were not yet checked in...and we could have been offered those much nicer rooms. When they arrived, they showed us their rooms, and could not understand the discrepancy...we were all paying the same rate.
During the night there was heavy rain. In the morning we were shocked to find my husband's leather shoe, and my toilet bag completely soaked. There was a large puddle on the floor beneath the rack of hangers, where we luckily had not hung our clothes, or they too, would have been soaked. We reported the leak to the front desk, and they changed our room to an identical one on the floor above, which had not been occupied the night before! We asked for a rebate or reduction of the room rate for that first night. My husband had no other shoes, and had to wear the wet one! Many of the items in my bag were ruined. We showed both to the girl on duty at the desk. She said the manager would have to deal with this and was not there. There was no manager onsite at all on this busy, fully booked weekend!
When we checked out the following morning, the manager was there, and claimed the first room had been checked and there was no leak, so nothing would be done for us. The girl who had seen our wet items was standing there smirking at us. (the man on duty the previous night told us the wrong room had been checked for leaks.) The manager denied this.
We are outraged. DO NOT TRUST THIS PLACE! Renovations had caused leaks all over the hotel after that night of rain. Even the breakfast area had been flooded.
We are going to contest the charge for the first night with our credit card company. The manager said "go right ahead". THIS IS CUSTOMER CARE????

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues you experienced regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. I would like take this opportunity to address these issues.
Unfortunately at your check-in day the hotel was fully booked and there was no rooms available to move you to avoid the chlorine smell from the first floor you requested. The room that you checked-in to do not have windows. Not because of the renovation you did not have a window in your room. Moving to your friend’s room was not an option because rooms are pre-assigned. However, your friends could have asked us to switch rooms with you.
The section of the building you were in is a two story structure. Therefore, if there was a leak from the roof due to heavy rain, your room will not be flooded. When you brought the issue to the front desk staff the next day they acted quickly and moved you to the second floor (some rooms were available the next day). Our staff took the time to inspect the room including our housekeeper, head housekeeper, front desk manager, and the General Manager only to find out there was no leaks in the room. Managers were on duty during the weekend, and the room was inspected by two different managers.
Your satisfaction is important to us and we will ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Again, we apologize for any misunderstand on our behalf.

Management
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The good news- beds are good! Ann Arbor is small enough to make location less important, but very close to I 94. Extraordinarily bad decor, dissonant colors and patterns, details overlooked, a lot of makeshift fixes. Breakfast okay, although quite artificial... Here with a group on game day. This hotel is survivable. A new category for me.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We are working on a renovation plan that will be implemented in the upcoming months to enhance the hotel.

General Manage
Flint, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was, at one time, quite a nice hotel. Now, I would say, it needs serious updating. The carpeting looked worn, and not too clean. The room was dark and not terribly pleasant. It did have a microwave and nice TV, but I did not want to take a shower there, nor did my husband. When we first registered, the clerk asked for a credit card to add a $10 fee in case there were any incidental charges...and that, if there weren't, it would be removed in a certain amount of time. I have never had to do this in any hotel and we have traveled a lot. We did prepay this room under a service, not directly with the hotel, so, perhaps this was the reason. Also, there was a pool, which was open on all sides, so that when we passed by, we heard all kinds of noise. It was a football weekend, so, perhaps, this does not always happen. We did book just the week before we arrived, so, perhaps this is why our room was far from the elevator...quite an inconvenience when we went to our room with our friends, one of whom used a wheelchair. The stairs, which we used when by ourselves, were quite convenient, but, as my husband uses a cane when on stairs, it was not a good choice.
We have stayed at a number of hotels in Ann Arbor, all of which we liked. This was not one of them. We will not return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for failing to exceed your expectations. Your feedback is important to us and we will be using it to make the improvements necessary and ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the near future.

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Jerseyville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at clarion aug 10 thru aug 16. I was in Ann Arbor for UA instructor training at junior college. Room was outdated and filthy,outside of building was completely dilapidated, hallways and elevator were falling apart other than the coats of paint holding it together, front desk service was pathetic,view from room was roof of adjacent building with noisy rooftop units,sink in bathroom didn't drain properly.On the good side Main Street in Ann Arbor was a blast , lots of good food.When I think of Clarion I think of elegance not the case here.A bulldozer and lots of heavy equipment they could use here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Dawn,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements.

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Bad Axe, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Sadly, I must report that this hotel, conveniently located in Ann Arbor, MI is on it's way out. Myself and the girlies have stayed there, the past 3 years, during the Ann Arbor Art Fairs. This year it was evident when we pulled in the parking lot that something was happening. Weeds were everywhere, busted pavement and landscaping all over the place and the portico was blocked off and falling in. Our room was ok, if you didn't mind the lawn mower sound coming out of the air conditioner. Our friends were moved once, because of a busted line in the air conditioner and water in the carpet. In their second room, the shower did not work. Lucky, I am not afraid to bang on busted things, and I got it working. Almost had to unscrew the darn on-off fixture. So, we will not be staying there again. Darn shame, given it's convenient location to Downtown Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: Can not do it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Antoine A, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Maggy:

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns regarding the outside appearance of the hotel, and the AC issue to our attention. We value your patronage and certainly want to know if you are dissatisfied in any way.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We strive for perfection in our hotel rooms and service, and the comfort of our guests is a top priority.
I would like to assure you that the concerns you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.
We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

734-665-4444

Been to Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor? Share your experiences!