“Worst part of the wedding weekend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor

You added Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 (Formerly Clarion Hotel and Conference Center W)   |
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
“Worst part of the wedding weekend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here as guests for a wedding recently and it was HORRIBLE! We checked in and went to our room and the A/C was not working AT ALL. Called the front desk to report it THREE times, each time getting a different person saying they would send someone up. We had to leave for the rehearsal and stopped by the front desk on the way out and they acted as though they had never heard of our request!! My husband explined that we would be back late and did NOT want to have to change rooms late at night. When we returned the A/C was fixed.
Room was clean and comfortable (after the A/C incident), breakfast room looked like some vegas lounge with neon lighting and large cocktail glasses to hold creamer...very strange. But the coffee was satisfactory.
Then we found out that there were gift bags left at the front desk for guests and NONE of the guests there ever saw them. Staff acted as though they had no idea what we were talking about, saw different people, they half-heartedly checked the paper schedule hanging behind them and explained that "weeelll, I was workin', but I didn't see no bags back here. Must 'a been that other girl workin'." Thanks for the consideration, lady.
I spoke with other guests (family of the couple) and they seemed to receive the same treatment and lack of consideration. That's just sad.
I would NEVER stay here again, just because of the experience we had here this time. I'm sorry for my friend that she chose this hotel, and I hope that her family was able to let them know about it as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kalamazoo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Musty, dirty, and unkept. The manager seems way over his head. He is ALWAYS there, but just can't keep up. Cockroach in the bathroom was a nice touch also... Ewwww. Potential to be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The inside is ok, but the outside is awful. You are greeted by a sign that states "great corporate rat" --- LOL. That's right, the sign looks like it's the original from 1970 - it's old and falling apart and the letter "e" and "s" have fallen off. So instead of "rates" it says "rat". You would think that management would be embarassed by this, but apparently not. This 1970's built dump looks like a time warp back to 1970. The staff seems ok, but overall, I would not recommend this place for couples.

They had a party the night prior and when we came down for breakfast there was trash all over the place. Looks like some drunks ordered pizza the night before and left empty plastic cups and empty pizza boxes all over the place. You would think that someone would pick up after these inconsiderate partiers, but it was like the scene in a movie after a wild party the next morning. Not very appetizing for breakfast. Again, apparently management is either blind or doesn't care. The breakfast was fair - the sliced fruit display of honeydew melon, pineapple, and cantaloupe looked gross as the fruit was floating in either water or juice in this huge, clear plastic bowl - it looked disgusting. The milk dispenser and orange juice dispensers need to be improved too. This place is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. As a kid, I vaguely remember that Clarions usually sucked, and this confirmed it for me as an adult. No more Clarions in my future!

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We used an online coupon for a couples overnight package. This Hotel is Massive for a Clarion. It used to be a Holiday Inn Holidome back when I was a kid. You can tell the owners are trying to make this property work, but I fear that because of the size, it may be too much to handle.

Here's the punch list.
Room key only worked about 25% of the time. Had to have them work on the lock.
Bathroom fan was LOUD and there was some mold in the shower area.
Noticed that the elevator cert. was expired.
Room air conditioner was very low efficiency, ran constently to keep up.
Exterior is sterile. They were adding mulch and plantings while we were there. Hope it helps.
Pool looked run down and Hot Tub was out of order.

I know this all sounds bad, but this place could be Great. I wish the owners luck. (talked with Ivan a couple of times, he's a great guy).

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My room opened directly into a back, secluded area of a side parking lot. I was alone on this trip & was not comfortable the entire time. Unfortunately, the hotel said they were booked and had nothing else - there were very few cars in the lots, however. The room was very small & smelled horrible. My clothes carried the smell even after I got home. The room was very dated & small & the bathroom area was dirty. Ceiling lights had no cover & the insulation & dust was exposed. I couldn't get the shower to turn on & called the front desk. They said to just pull really hard - I thought I was going to pull the shower fixture out of the wall, but it did work.

This all made for a miserable trip. I'll be very unlikely to stay at another Clarion after this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I give the staff a 5 and the facilities a 3 which gives an overall grade of 4. The staff at the Clarion works extremely hard and are very helpful. Everyone there went out of their way to give the best service possible. The facilities however are in need of an upgrade. The air conditioner in our room stopped working. Maintenance showed up very promptly anbd did his best to fix it, but there was only so much he could do. He got it working, but rather than just leave it at that, he told us that he was not sure that it would hold up and we might want to get another room. He apologized many times that he could not guarantee that the repair would hold. We only had one night left, so we took the chance. It did last through the night but by the time we were checking out, it was not working again. the staff really did do everything they could, but the facility is old and dated. The front desk was also very pleasant and helpful. I needed a stamp. They do not have them to sell to guests, but one of the workers got me one out of their office and gave it to me free of charge. Just going the extra mile to help a desk. There is a very good complimentary breakfast with eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, belgian waffles (with WHIPPED CREAM and a wide variety of dessert sauces you can use on them), and many of the other normal things. It is very good and very well stocked. The guy in charge of it worked extremely hard to keep everything stocked, would get anything you asked for if they had it and even made the waffles for the guests whenever he had the time to do so (and even sometimes when he was busy doing something else). With some renovation, this could be aqn excellent hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Saline, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

The couple times I have stayed at The Clarion I have been overall satisfied. The renovations make the hotel look way nicer on the inside than on the outside, especially in the main lobby and party area. I have only good things to say about the staff because they have always been thoughtful and accomodating, even when renovations were being done to the breakfast nook. They gave us breakfast vouchers for a coney island down the road and suprisingly gave us a good amount of food! Once before when friends and I stayed the night, we were late to the continental breakfast by 10 minutes, but the nice guys in the kitchen made food especially for us. (And believe me it wasn't our good looks that enticed them because we had a ROUGH night haha). The woman at the front desk (Rachel) was one of the nicest people I have seen to work at a hotel, even when she had to kick us out of the pool when we tried to sneak in at 2am (wow).

Room Tip: Try booking a room in the conference tower because you have a lot more privacy and I just feel the q...