“Not the food Nirvana I was expecting, but still very good” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zingerman's Roadhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 516 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maple Road
North Carolina
“Not the food Nirvana I was expecting, but still very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Service was very good - friendly and accommodating. The food we ordered was very nicely prepared and presented. We had a goat cheese bruschetta which was delicious, and a Whitefish special which was perfectly cooked and tasted wonderful. The variety of breads served before the meal was also very good.

I was disappointed in their original-style mac and cheese. First up, it was not macaroni - it was penne. Penne noodles are much bigger than tradtional elbow macaroni, so it changed the textural experience. Also, the cheese sauce was extremely rich, but not in a delicious way - in more of a cloying, throat-clogging way. This could just be my personal preference; I prefer a traditional Southern custard-based baked mac and cheese. My husband had the mac and cheese made with goat cheese and black pepper and his was much better than mine.

I thought about trying their "NC Style" pork barbecue, but I can get that at about 20 places in a 10 mile radius of my home so I decided against it. The smoking meats smelled wonderful though.

Overall it was a fun experience, the food was mostly excellent, and I would definitely go back at some point.

Visited June 2013

“Cool Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This place is cool and the food is good. Its everything that you expect of Zingerman's; fresh ingredients and unique combinations. The food emphasis is on barbeque with several different kinds of mac & cheese. They taste great. The fresh bread is delicious, as is the house-made gelato. I would like a bit more healthy options but you can always get a salad. The prices are a bit high for casual fare but I suppose that is what you get with all free and local ingredients.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
michigan
“Very Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Heard that this was a good place to eat. We tried it. We had a 45 min wait. The service was good. The little pieces of bread they gave us was burnt and the butter was rock-hard. I didn't realize that the fresh-squeezed lemonade was $4.00 a glass and $1.50 refills until after we ordered it because it was on a separate drink menu. My husband and son had glorified mac and cheese with smoked chicken for $20 a meal with no sides included. I had polenta with caramelized vegetables, was ok but also almost $20, no sides included. We sat on lawn chairs in a very loud patio setting. Obviously this is the place that hippsters go and have a few mixed drinks. This place is definitely overrated and overpriced.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“Pricey but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited Zingerman's Roadhouse on a Friday night during the Art Festival. A little after 7pm, the place was packed and they were quoting 45 minutes to an hour wait for a table. Fortunately, we had a reservation, which got us seated promptly on time. Zingerman's uses Open Table.
Zingerman's has a full bar, including a good collection of small batch bourbon. They even have 2 tasting flights available.

I started with a cup of their bean soup. Smokey with plenty of chunks of ham, maybe a little salty. My wife had a mini garden salad. We both had BBQ beef (brisket) sandwiches. Very good. Fresh cut fries were very good, and we split a piece of white buttermilk cake with raspberry buttercream between the layers. The frosting was not too sweet; we enjoyed the cake a lot.

The food came quickly, and our server, and everyone we came in contact with, were very friendly and helpful. Our tab for 1 beer, 1 drink, 1 soup, 1 salad, 2 sandwiches and 1 dessert was $63.00 I think this is high for what we got; but the freshness, and quality of service made it feel worth it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Novi, Michigan
“Excellent food, excellent service, super cute decorations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I went with my parents who came in from out of town for the annual Ann Arbor art fair. First, I loved how it was so easy to make a reservation online through Open Table. When we arrived, we were seated immediately and the waiter gave us a lot of information about how the food is made and which dishes are specialty ones. He was very helpful in helping us decide on what to eat. We had the corn dog appetizers, two of us had the cheeseburgers, and the other two had braised beef. I personally had the cheeseburger and the sharp cheddar cheese was amazing! Also, the fact that they do something special to the beef too made it amazing as well. Finally, I liked how there were lots of choices on the menu and all at different price points. My parents loved it and we would all definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere