“Great steak in Ann Arbor” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 470 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Liberty and William
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great steak in Ann Arbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Not cheap, but a great place for a business dinner or a steak night out on the town - the steak is consistently excellent, with all the extras you'd expect (oysters, sides, etc.) and non-steak options for those with red meat burnout

Visited May 2012

ann arbor, michigan
“Wonderful service in a college town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Ate at The Chop House in downtown Ann Arbor. I was very impressed with the attentive and professional service we received from our waiter and busboys. Surprising in a college town. Our food was prepared exactly as ordered, and was of high quality. The interior of the restaurant was very attractive, yet elegant. The Lobster Bisque was well flavored with lobster, although I would have preferred to have more morsels of lobster in the bisque. My 11 ounce Filet Mignon was prepared medium rare as ordered. My minor complaint is that the outside crust could have been more "crusty". My wife loved her lollipop lamb chops. They had a flavorful but subtle mint leaf coating. Her sweet potato had a maple, bourbon flavored butter on the side. Typically we find such flavored butters clumsily done, but this butter blended beautifully with the caramelly flavors of who well executed sweet potato. The wine list is very extensive with over 600 different selections. The prices are fair with only a standard restaurant markup at most. Many of the bottles are upper end, so the average price is up there, but there are some lower priced wines of around $30. There are a number of top names such as Dom. Romanee Conti and Gaja. Lots of Napa cabs, but an eclectic selection from other regions and countries. Prices are high, here. Everything is priced a la carte. Expect to pay ~$60 pp before wine. A splurge restaurant where we felt pampered. Nice every once in a while.

• Visited October 2012
“Less than stellar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had high expectations that resulted in disappointment. Great location, great ambiance (busy and moderately noisy). Our party of two ordered the salmon and bone in steak. Neither were prepared to the requested temperature. When we mentioned it to the server, she first wanted to justify it then went to get manager. The manager came and asked if we wanted the $50 entrees "refired" or just what we would like him to do? We received a free slice of cheese cake for the inconvenience. A true steak house is held to a higher standard and it is expected that they can properly prepare a steak to the temperatures they offer on their iPad menus. I can't offer the gleaming recommendations I've read. It was an experience that can be had at any local Ruby Tuesday for less.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“The cowboy steak was amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The service given by Morgan was exceptional and the atmosphere was very classy. I will be back soon.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“One of the best meals I've had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I dined here with another couple. I immediately regretted never having eaten there despite living in Ann Arbor for 2 years now. We have already made reservations to return in two weeks for our anniversary. From the wine to the bread to the lobster crab cakes to the sweet potato to the mac&cheese (and numerous other sides to choose from), it was all phenomenal. I am not a steak eater, but my husband and the other couple thoroughly enjoyed theirs. We split the tres leche cake in La Dolche Vita after and are already drooling at the thought of having it again when we return. Do not visit Ann Arbor without visiting The Chop House!

• Visited September 2012