“Kinks need to be worked out” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #92 of 506 restaurants in Ann Arbor
Cuisines: Belgian
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Kinks need to be worked out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We walked by here one night after dinner and decided to return the next morning for breakfast. The selections sound delicious (and were certainly tasty) but I'm not sure they were good enough to outweigh the negatives-- long wait, milk for the coffee that looked like skim although I am told it was whole, terribly bitter and unpleasant coffee (from Zingerman's might I add, curiously enough), and a steep price tag. I had a waffle trio which wasn't clear from the ad that it was three tiny waffles, (I thought trio referred to the fact that it had three toppings). For $7 this was really no more than an appetizer. It was enough food to maybe feed a toddler, and I am certainly not a fan of big portions in general. One of the toppings was left off my husband's waffle, and I was also appalled to see that the "self service" cash register gives you three options for tip- 15%, 20%, and 25% for service which was certainly pleasant enough but really is just someone taking your order and then calling your name. (There is no table service.) Our two small coffees and waffles (with tip) came to about $24.

Visited May 2013

76% Recommend
Okinawa, Japan
“Fun and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Went to the Wafel shop--had a traditional waffle with syrup and strawberries and a cup of coffee. The food was excellent and the overall experience was delightful---friendly, helpful staff, casual environment. I will go back when I am next in Ann Arbor.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“It's a wafel shop, not a waffle shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Wafel is the how waffle is spelled in Belgium. This is a relatively new restaurant that just serves waffles, coffee, tea, and a few other drinks. The waffles are cooked to order in one of two styles: Brussels (traditional crispy exterior and soft interior) or Liege (dense and chewy with ; Belgian pearl sugar). The rectangular shaped waffles are served in a cardboard tray regardless if you're doing takeout or eating in. The topping choices are very creative and range from traditional syrup, powdered sugar, and butter, to more interesting toppings such as fruit, Nutella, caramel sauce, Biscoff spread, chocolate sauce, nuts, and bacon. A particular interesting variety is called the Belgian Elvis: wafel topped with biscoff spread (almost tastes like peanut butter), bananas, bacon, and syrup. Not your routine waffle, but very delicious. There is no waitstaff service; you order at counter. In addition to cardboard tray to hold your wafel, it's also disappointing to only have plastic utensils. But these are minor issues compared to the quality and creativity in these wafels. Ingredients and toppings are from local companies such as Frog Holler, Calder Dairy, and Zingermans Coffee. Hours are M-S 8:00a to 10:00p; Sun. 8:00a to 7:00p. Not many seats; maybe can hold about 15 people. Base price of waffle is $5 ($7 for gluten free); toppings are either $1 or $2. Butter, powdered sugar, chocolate shavings, and syrup are at no extra cost.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarnia, ON
“Delicious Waffles at Decent Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to check out The Wafel Shop this past Saturday morning for breakfast.

The Wafel Shop is downtown so it does not have its own parking lot or anything like that, so you will be parking on the street or in a parking structure.

The restaurant is small with seating for about 20-25 people or so. It is set up like a cafeteria; you pay up front and your name is called when your food is ready (it took about 7-10 minutes for 2 waffles). Waffles are served in a disposable paper bowl and plastic cutlery is provided.

The person taking our order was very friendly and explained the difference between the 2 types of waffles they serve, Brussels and Liège. Brussels is the common fluffy waffle most people are familiar with, and the Liège is smaller, but denser and sweeter. A base waffle is $5 and includes butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and/or shaved chocolate (you can get any combination of these things at no extra cost). There are 17 other toppings that cost either $1 or $2.

All in all, for 2 waffles with 1 topping each, plus a juice and coffee, our bill was $19 before tip.

My boyfriend had a Liège waffle with Nutella and I, a Brussels with butter, maple syrup, and chocolate chips. We both enjoyed our waffles quite a bit; however, I don't think mine was any better than a waffle from a diner.

Other than that, I only had 2 complaints. The restaurant wasn't large enough to accommodate the breakfast crowd and as we were leaving, it looked like several people wouldn't have a place to sit down. We saw a few tables of folks "loitering" as they were long done their waffles, so perhaps management will need to curtail loitering or provide more seating. As well, although the plastic cutlery was better than the usual cheap stuff, my boyfriend's fork broke and metal cutlery would have been much preferred. The waffles were a bit difficult to cut with a plastic knife. Besides those 2 things, we were fairly pleased, especially with the friendly service.

We aren't sure if we'll return, but we did enjoy the experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere