“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Northville, Michigan
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

After reading an article that mentioned Vellum on detroit.eater.com, we decided to give it a try. We're a group that dines out frequently, loves a creative menu, and likes to try new places. When we arrived, Vellum was modestly busy, and as we had made a reservation, we were surprised when we were offered a table next to the kitchen. However, when we spoke up, our hostess graciously offered us several other options. We chose to sit upstairs at a table overlooking Main Street which was both relatively quiet and private. With only one waiter for the upstairs area, our service was initially a bit spotty, but improved immensely as the meal progressed.

Vellum was recently awarded "best of award of excellence" by Wine Spectator and their wine list is chock full of wines to chose from. The French white wine we chose to start with was perfect. We ordered the mushroom tart and the shrimp and grits appetizers to share - delicious! Our entrees included the black sea bass, lamb, ribeye, and salmon. Everything was plated beautifully and was very, very good. (My only disappointment was that my sea bass wasn't as hot as it should have been. But after taking that first bite, I just kept eating and eating, and never did send it back!)

We shared dessert; in fact I think we ordered one of everything. The frozen macarons were my favorite, but I don't even think I got a chance to taste the chocolate and caramel concoction, it was gone that fast! The madeline and tea was only fair.

Chef/owner Peter came by our table just after dinner which was a nice touch, and took us down to the kitchen for a quick peek as well. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Vellum. Not only would we recommend it to friends and fellow foodies, but we will be back as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We loved our meal here. Fantastic service and the food was delicious. We shared the roasted beet salad, which they plated separately for us. Also had the short rib pansoti and the lamb. Both were presented beautifully and were very good. We finished with a yummy dessert, the chocolate and caramel. Highly recommend Vellum and we will definitely return when we go back to Ann Arbor.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dexter, Michigan
“New Ann Arbor Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Vellum is a treasure hidden in plain site on Main Street in Ann Arbor. We ate here for the first time Saturday evening. The service was impeccable; the food even better. Every dish was beautifully and artistically presented. This was only outdone by the unique flavor sensations of each dish. The chef uses texture, color, and interesting flavor combinations to create some of the most exquisite offerings I have tasted in a long time. I look forward to our next visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan
“Another High-End Entry in an Overcrowded Market”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Make no mistake, Vellum is visually appealing, with an interesting menu that includes things I hadn't heard of before. Service was good, the food presented in an attractive manner, and tasted very good (though I thought my beef was a bit on the fatty side). The thing is, I wasn't overly impressed. The place simply seems like yet another "me too" overpriced restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor. And by overpriced I mean pushing NYC prices. Can't say I won't be back, but probably won't be top of mind the next time I'm looking to dine out in Ann Arbor.

Visited July 2013
Detroit
“Excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My first time at Vellum. A group of eight were all very pleased with the experience. Interesting menu which they were happy to adapt to personal preferences, wonderful presentation and great service. Due to the size of our party many people assisted in the service in addition to our primary server. The service was so good that I tipped our server in addition to the tips she received on our tabs. I will definitely return.

I will add that while many restaurants in Ann Arbor do not take reservations during the Art Fair Vellum accepted a reservation and seated us promptly.

• Visited July 2013