“Unsafe Pool Area” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Howell, Michigan
“Unsafe Pool Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very welcoming. The main reason we selected this hotel was for a chance to let our daughter swim. The pool is great for kids except one thing, the slippery tile surrounding the pool. I saw many children slip and fall and get hurt that were not running or acting unruly but simply walking. My daughter is 4 and I made sure I held her hand the entire time she was outside of the pool and on the tile surrounding the pool. She still managed to keep slipping while walking and if I had not held her hand to catch her she would have fallen and cracked her head. My husband and I even slipped a couple of times while walking but managed to catch ourselves. I have to say that we will not be back again as my daughter is going to want to swim and I feel their pool area is not safe. Overall the hotel was great just not a kid friendly swimming pool.

Room Tip: Don't pick a highway facing room due to the noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi bkrystia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a comment regarding your recent stay. We take all of the feedback that we receive seriously and will be looking further into the pool area.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Christina Bell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Like other reviewers, pretty much only good things to say about this place (some very, very minor quibbles). A great value for the money; the AAA rate is $90/nite, the hotel is very new, very clean, has excellent facilities and the staff are wonderful and friendly. Our room was spacious and well lit, with a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was a good size with above average amenities, and the hot water was virtually scalding (the way I like it!). The fitness center has free weights, a universal style machine, balls, a bike, 2 ellipticals and 2 treadmills, all new and with individual TVs. (I had a bit of trouble figuring out to turn the TV on; instructions would have been helpful.) The hotel features a really nice size pool with a waterfall and other attractions for kids, and there's also a hot tub. The breakfast is not included in the room cost, but for $10/person you get hot food to order (omlettes, waffles etc) + sausage, bacon, hash browns, plus a nice selection of pastries, cold cereal, freshly cut fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. Really a nice spread and very reasonably priced. The hotel lobby offers coffee and tea round the clock and delicious cookies appear in the evening, warm out of the oven (a nice touch). We did laundry while we were here & while the machines were reasonably priced ($1 each for wash & dry) the little "store" off the front desk charged $3 for soap; that felt like a rip off and not in concert with the generous, customer driven feel of the whole place. The staff, to a person, are super friendly and helpful; really can't say enough about them. It took us about 10 minutes to drive from the hotel to the downtown on Friday and Saturday nights; very easy trip. All in all, a great hotel; I would definitely stay here again should I be in Ann Arbor (or A2 as the natives say!)

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi LauraRalph,

We were sad to see you go as well! It was a pleasure having you stay here with us this month. I am so pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy most of the amenities at the hotel. Your feedback regarding the TV instructions as well as the price of the laundry soap is appreciated. I will share this feedback as well as all of your warm comments with my team.

We look forward to having you join us again in A2 sometime soon!

Take Care,
Battle Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here overnight while visiting University of Michigan hospital. A snow and ice storm blew in hours after we arrived. During the night a power surge set off the building's fire alarm twice. It sent everyone scrambling for their things and down the stairs to the lobby. The staff did their best to calm everyone and reset the alarm. In the morning at check out we were refunded every penny for our stay! An accident that knocked out a power pole is what reportedly caused the surge. There was nothing the hotel did wrong but they were still willing to refund our money because our stay was disrupted. As for the building and room, absolutely spotless, updated, beautiful, and clean! Every room, even the elevator, had a freshly cleaned/new smell! We will absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: We read the reviews and requested a room opposite of the highway, we never heard any traffic, other...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jim-Trish R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for the hotel! We are so happy that you had the opportunity to come visit the property - even if it was during our snow storm. Hopefully the next time you return this is a little more sunshine to enjoy!

We are definitely looking forward to your return.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting University of Michigan. The room was very clean and well decorated. The bathroom was impeccable. The beds were very comfortable, except the sheets were rough and the pillows were small and way too soft. There was a large flat screen tv, microwave, fridge and coffee maker in our room. We did not use any of the amenities, but it appeared as if many people and families were enjoying them. There is a pool, restaurant, bar, fireplace, market, work out room and business center. The staff was friendly and helpful. If my daughter ends up going to U of M, I will definitely stay here again. Its is about a 10 minute car ride to central campus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hello JustfineNJ,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn for your recent stay in Ann Arbor. I am so pleased that the hotel provided a clean and comfortable experience for you. We appreciate all of the feedback and I will definitely share it with my team. We hope that you daughter chooses U of M as we look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Best Wishes,
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. After all, the place is brand new, so what could go wrong? The staff members--Allen, Ashley, and several others--were very nice and helpful.

One little oddity: the cable television in the fitness room is different, and has different station offerings, from the cable TV in the guest rooms, so if you're hoping to finish watching something after you're done working out, you might not be able to do so. Further, the cable TV in the fitness rooms has the least intuitive setup I've ever seen: while each piece of equipment has its own screen and its own remote, the user has to know to aim the remote at a squarish cable box that is all but hidden on a lower part of the equipment. (And there are no instructions.) I chalk this up to the newness of the place, and it's a fairly minor quibble. All in all, it was a very comfortable stay, and we'll be back.

Hi Grmpmbl,

Thank you so much for your kind words and nice review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed yourself at our hotel during your recent stay. I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the team, but in particular Allen and Ashley. Also, thank you for bringing to our attention the difficulty you had using the fitness room TV's - we will definitely look into providing better instructions. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Our stay started off on a high note due to the great service provided at the front desk by Allen - he's very friendly and complementary, and greeted us again at the coffee station when we came back from dinner. The rooms are nicely decorated and both the bed and the chairs are comfortable - but the pillows are less so. HGI should emulate the practices of Holiday Inn by offering both soft and firm foam pillows. The pool, while colder than we'd like, was very nice, with a young kid-friendly design. The spa was roomy and comfortably warm. The exercise room was spacious and well-equipped. One problem was with breakfast, as the staff was slammed and many guests were evidently first time visitors to a HGI and so didn't know how breakfast works - some signage explaining things might help. We had a long wait for our cooked breakfast and the potatoes weren't done when our meals arrived; the waitress told us that a side plate would be brought to us as soon as the potatoes were ready... But that didn't happen. We waited for someone to stop by with our check (I think some families left without paying as it was rather chaotic and the signage indicating that you had to pay for breakfast was too subtle for many to notice) and I told he that we never received our potatoes. On her own initiative, she comped our breakfast as we didn't get what we ordered and we had a long wait. Unfortunately I didn't get her name, so I can't praise her appropriately, but she handled the situation very well. As someone who travels a lot, I know that things don't always go well or according to plan; the mark of a hotel is often made by how someone handles the unexpected - and the HGI Ann Arbor passed with flying colors!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheTravelingProf,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review! I appreciate all of your feedback and am happy to hear that the Hilton Garden Inn passed with flying colors! In particular, I will share your feedback with Allen and let him know how much you enjoyed his hospitality. The morning that you joined us for breakfast was particularly busy and we appreciate your understanding. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Ann Arbor area.

Many Thanks,
Clarkston, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed for a night while visiting Ann Arbor and Chelsea - conveniently located to both areas. Room with king bed was modern and clean. Bed was comfortable, large tv (except some tv stations not working that day), refrigerator and microwave. Reasonable price included breakfast. Breakfast buffet was unorganized and slow, this may have been an unusual occurrence but not sure.

Hi WeLoveOurVacations,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor. It is dissapointing to hear that breakfast service was not as good as it could have been - I will share this feedback with our team and we will improve upon it. I hope that you are able to stay with us once again the next time you are in the area.

Christina Bell

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor? Share your experiences!