“Excellent value, safe and close to town's amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Lamp Post Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2424 East Stadium Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104   |
Ranked #26 of 30 hotels in Ann Arbor
the Midwest
“Excellent value, safe and close to town's amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

I travel to Ann Arbor once every year or two for my work. I've stayed in a hotel next to the campus before and found it nice but pricey, and I was looking for something more economical. The Lamp Post definitely has exceptional rates - you may not find any better. The rate I paid for a non-kitchenette room was $49/night, and with hotel taxes the grand total was $53/night. For $53 night, this place offers an amazing array of amenities: cable TV, refrigerator, coffee, coffeemaker and microwave in ALL rooms, and free breakfast (includes bagels, cream cheese, jellies, instant oatmeal, apple juice, milk, and coffee). I've stayed in other value-priced hotels that did not provide shampoo & conditioner, alarm clock, tissues or a telephone in the room, but the Lamp Post provides all of these. They even have an internet access computer in the lounge/breakfast room, which surprised me. On top of this, they have a safe location somewhat close to the university campus. The campus would be about a half-hour walk on a tree-lined street.

The one thing I could not determine when I researched this hotel was the safety of the neighborhood. I was very pleased at what I found. Despite its being located at the intersection of two major streets, everything is clean and nice around there - tall trees, green lawns, sidewalks with bicyclists and walkers. Just to the east (a block or two away) of the hotel is a park with walking paths. Around the Lamp Post itself it is a mixture of offices and businesses. About a block or so to the west there is a pharmacy, and right next door there is a shopping center which includes a Trader Joe's grocery and a sandwich shop (called "Roly Poly Sandwiches") which stays open until 7pm.

The campus is technically within walking distance, but I prefer public transportation. There is a bus stop you can catch to get to campus about a block away from the Lamp Post Inn on Washtenaw Rd. It is not a covered bus stop and the buses don't run that frequently (every half-hour), but still you can get where you need to go.

I thought my room was fine. The furnishings were basic, not fancy. When I entered it smelled perfectly clean and fresh. I appreciated that the heater really cranked out some heat if you turned it up. My bathroom was done in old-fashioned sunny yellow tile.

If I were to list the problems, it would include the fact that the carpet in the room was rather dirty. You wouldn't notice at first because it is a dark green color, but I noticed after walking around in the room one evening that the bottoms of my white socks had become kind of black. The other thing that was a problem for me was that one of the three nights I stayed (I think it was on a Wednesday) there were loud partiers in the parking lot. It appeared that some college kids might have gotten a room and they were shouting across the lot in loud greetings. And just sort of whooping it up in general. Then a different group - looked like laborers from a construction crew - pulled in and had a beer blast out there for about a half hour before quietiing down. It was a little unnerving to hear loud shouts reverberating outside one's motel room door.

I found the owner and staff friendly, efficient and helpful. The owner is often on-site and cares a lot about the property. I guess one can't do much about one's neighbors, when you choose to stay at what might be the cheapest place in town.

In spite of the problems, I would definitely stay at this place again. The amount of money saved not only in the hotel bill, but on food (because you can refrigerate your leftovers from restaurants, and get food at the next-door grocery), and proximity to public transportation makes this probably the best value in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

We spent two nights at the Lamp Post after reading these reviews. Our daughter was visiting UofM. The pluses were the price and the location. It was friendly and quiet. The negatives are it is in need of an upgrade. The walls and carpet and bathroom all have seen a decade of wear. The continental breakfast was even not much. Some fruit and a little choice of cereal beyond oatmeal would be nice. However, it is inexpensive and there is a microwave, fridge and coffee maker in the room.

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2005

I had to make an unexpected trip to Ann Arbor from Washington, DC. dreading the thought of staying at a hundred dollar plus per night hotel. I did some web research and found the Lamp Post Inn in Ann Arbor, MI. I called hotel in route and booked in for two nights. I knew I would be checking in after hours. The staff made the appropriate arrangements for the key pick up. To my surprise I found myself in a large clean room that was well accommodated. I enjoyed the continental breakfast, the owner and staff couldn't be more helpful. The Lamp Post Inn is a great place to stay for a reasonable price. It's Convenient to the College and the VA. Medical Center. Thanks Lamp Post Inn I'll give you 5 Stars for a job well done.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

We stayed here while in town for a UofM football game and were very disappointed. Our box spring was visibly stained beyond belief and ragged, and the mattress was old and lumpy. Beds came with only two pillows, and towels were small and rough. We were in a non-smoking room but there was a very prominent cigarette butt underneath the bedside table that stayed there for two days (leading us to believe the rooms are not vacuumed). Walls between rooms were very thin; in fact, I could hear the man in the next room snoring! You're better off staying in any of the branded motel/hotel chains than staying here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

I always have my friends and visiting faculty or students stay at this hotel. The overnight prices are really a bargain and the rooms are simple but clean. When you consider it probably has the best location in town, you just can't beat it. It is right on the bus route, an easy walk to campus, and on the same street as the stadium and sports facilities.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2003

First of all, this is NOT a Hilton. What it IS though, is a very reasonably priced older motel with a terrific location. You'll get a great night's sleep here (it's VERY quiet) and it's very basic with no frills. I have to say that the staff is incredibly nice and helpful, unlike many places I've stayed. They really go out of their way. If you want a comfortable, pleasant place at a great price, this is for you.
If you're looking for luxury, better pull out some extra money and go someplace else. Realize that this is an older motel and not quite as modern (I know some folks like newer places even though newer usually means smaller) but to me, that is the charm of this place, and the rooms are spacious. I really like the Lamp Post Inn, and would definitely stay there again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2003

I always smile when I'm scheduled for Ann Arbor. I tried the usual places, but discovered the Lamp Post Inn several years ago.

The rooms are spacious and bright. Every room has a fridge and microwave. It was built as a Howard Johnson's in 1955, so the walls are pretty much soundproof.

The owner, Bruce Larson, has almost always accommodated my every need.
From very early checkins to dataports to kitchen facilities.

And really reasonable rates. Reminds me of a scaled down version of Doubletree.

Been to Lamp Post Inn? Share your experiences!