“Beautiful bed and breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Chalet Bed & Breakfast Inn

You added Stone Chalet Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Stone Chalet Bed & Breakfast Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1917 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 (Formerly Vitosha Guest Haus Inn)   |
Special Offer
Fine Dining in Ann Arbor!
Ranked #5 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
“Beautiful bed and breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

We had a wonderful time at this bed and breakfast. Very accommodating employees made our stay memorable. Rooms had comfortable beds and beautiful antique furniture. Food was good but repetitive if you stay more than a few nights. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Our son goes to the university and it's a 4 hour drive from Chicago so making the trip isn't an everyday thing, plus both my wife and I work so finding the time is sometimes last minute. In this case we picked a weekend that worked only to find the two hotels right in town were booked, plus the fact their rates are ridiculous. I found the Stone Chalet on Tripadvisor and the reviews were good so I decided to give it a try; especially as it's been a while since we stayed at a B&B.
About a week before our arrival I received an email welcoming me and asking when my estimated arrival would be, which I replied a late arrival. As we drove from Chicago I received a call again asking me when we expected to arrive. At this point it seemed a bit strange, sort of something out of a B movie. Using navigation we found the place and pulling up my wife went to the front door only to find it locked and no one answering. I then called and was told to park on the side street and come in through that entrance. Got to admit at night, and in October, I felt like I was checking into the Bates motel. We were let in and walked through an older section of the house and led to the the desk where we checked in. As we were taken to our room we got the history of the place, how to use the outside doors and how to order breakfast. All very rustic, quaint, kinda fun. Our room was the "Grand" room which had a full size bed that was a four poster, a fireplace and a bay window. To my wife and I it was like a bit of an adventure after staying in big hotels. We made our breakfast selections and after dinner with our son we went to bed. The bed, well at home we have a king size tempurpedic, which this wasn't but have to admit I found it difficult to move but as I laid there in bed I felt like I was back in the 1800's and someone was going to bring me a bed warmer to put under the mattress.
The next morning we went down for breakfast. Now, the choices were limited yes, but the food was home made, delicious and the communal dining was enjoyable. We ended up talking to this other couple for an hour.
The place is just outside of town and is a 7 minute drive to our sons apartment and if you're up to it it is walkable. I gave it a 4 star as to me 5 stars is superb and don't think the Stone Chalet is at that level; yet. The place is under new management for about a year so I expect even more the next time we stay. Oh, didn't I say, but we would definitely stay there again but just hoping their might be a room with a king bed.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

My significant other and I were looking to get away for the weekend and decided to visit the Stone Chalet B&B and I'm so glad we did. The inn keepers, Mike and Lana, were warm and friendly - Mike even gave us a tour of the home and gardens filling us in on its history.

We were in the Courtyard room - in the rear of the home - nice and quiet, no street noise. The room was large and tastefully decorated - very clean & fresh smelling - king size bed with plenty of pillows and a super comfortable mattress - the gas fireplace in the room was easy to turned on, just flick the switch - we also had a mini fridge.

The bathroom had a good mirror and light to put on my makeup - there was also a fan to clear the steam after showering so it didn't fog up. The hot water came out of the faucets immediately and there was plenty of it - making for a nice long hot shower. But my absolute favorite thing was the HEATED tile floor - no cold feet when getting out of the shower or getting ready.

Breakfast was yummy - we especially liked the cranberry walnut toast and the whole grain pancakes. They also serve Red House coffee -- it is an organic shade grown conflict free coffee from Costa Rica - and it was delicious!

We had a lovely weekend at the Stone Chalet, and felt truly welcomed just like one of the family -- we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Farmington, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

Quiet, clean, short walk to S. University. Breakfast was good, perfect after a night out downtown. Would probably recommend walking out and picking up a cab on the way back. Their pets were also a highlight for us. Their dog, Sadie, was a vocal and very friendly greeter at the front door. She also made her presence known at the breakfast table. We stayed in the Ada suite with a clawfoot tub and walk-in shower. Well appointed room with Temper-pedic matress. Very comfortable overnight with a fireplace and remote controlled heat/ac. No TV, but we really appreciated the free wifi.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Best nights stay ever except honeymoon 38 years ago today. Mike and Lana made us feel like king and queen for the day. Stone Chalet felt like a castle.The whole experience felt Enchanting. Excellence breakfast and no request was denied from a guitar to the cheese plate. Thank you trip advisor for the referral. Thank you Mike and Lana for a wonderful night. We will be back and send others to you.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lana H, Owner at Stone Chalet Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
We really glad you came and hope to see you again sometime! You both have a really positive outlook on life. And thanks for teaching me Horse With No Name. Maybe next time you come I'll play it for you.
Thebes, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I were in town for business. We chose the Stone Chalet because of its location, and the uniqueness of its character. We had a garden view room with a double bed and a day bed. The room had a gas fireplace, which we found convenient as the weather turned a bit chilly both evenings. The balcony is narrow, and is shared with the adjacent room, but it was a nice spot to step and get a bit of fresh air.

The breakfast was very good, but the portions are small (they make note of this, and do state you can request larger portions when filling out the breakfast form). The breakfast both mornings were meatless. I do not know if this is always the case, but something to keep in mind if you're looking for a hearty breakfast. Everything served was delicious, though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Suttons Bay, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

New owners have only been in place for less than a year, but have made good progress in upgrading the facility. Nice older home (1915) with lots of charm. It has had numerous additions over the years, as at one time it was utilized as a church and parsonage. It is located in a very desirable part of town, close to U of M and the downtown attractions. As I understand it, all beds have been replaced with new king size beds (ours was new and very comfortable). Room was well decorated and cozy, also quiet. The bath was very clean, but quite tiny. Owner stated that they were on an upgrade campaign, but they are making progress.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Chalet Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!