“This place proves that it's still possible to get MORE than you pay for.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Saint Louis, Missouri
“This place proves that it's still possible to get MORE than you pay for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I found Ann Arbor's Microtel on A booking site--the price was SO good for this expensive college town that, to be honest, I had pretty low expectations. I thought of two well-known national motel franchises with cheap rates and undesirable reputations, and wondered exactly what I was getting into with Microtel.

Then I arrived, and the hotel exceeded my expectations at every turn. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming. The furniture was modern, the room was clean and cool (the AC was on in anticipation of my arrival on 90 degree day--much appreciated). It was one of the more comfortable hotel rooms I've worked in--was able to get a great deal done with hotel wifi that was free and fast.

Now, I'm not going I kid you--the rooms are small. If you're bringing the family, you'll want to request a suite. But for solo travelers or couples, the room's size is negated by the atmosphere--clean, modern, even upscale. And if size is still that important to you, then make that reservation anyway and placate yourself with knowing that the "Big House" of Maize and Blue fame is not too far down the road (and last I checked, their latest stadium expansion had enabled UM athletics to comfortably seat the entire state of Rhode Island).

In all seriousness, I was pleasantly surprised by every aspect of this hotel. They've earned repeat business from me anytime I'm in town.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights in a "2 Queen Beds" Room. The room was extremely small for us--3 adults and one child. It was hard to get all of luggage and other items in the room. The TV was old and hard to use on top of the wardrobe. On a more positive note, the hotel and room were clean and the hotel staff was friendly/helpful. The continental breakfast was great and had lots of choices. The location was good, but a little hard to find--it's behind another hotel and a few businesses. It's close to a grocery store (Buch's), some restaurants, and not too far away from the University of Michigan Hospital. They also offer a free shuttle service, but we didn't use it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Okemos, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I gave this same hotel a negative review because of the desk staff, their attitudes toward guests and their lack of attention to cleanliness. The bed was also pretty bad last year. I stayed there last night on my way to a conference. It seems like a different hotel in the same location!
I was pleasantly surprised by the remodeling that had been done. The bed was better, the rooms definitely freshened, hall way carpeting has been replaced. The difference is notable.
I had a free upgrade to a suite. The hotel was very quiet last night. The room,bath, halls and lobby area were all immaculate.Towels were plentiful. The only strange item was the placement of the tv in the suites. It faces the end of the cupboard of the kitchenette and does not pivot.
I did not try the breakfast.
The same fellow checked me in last night at 8 pm as checked me out at 8 this morning. He was very helpful and nice. Detroit was experiencing a high wind situation with winds as high as 60 mph. Later in the evening, I noticed a lawn chair rolling around outside the main entrance. I called down to the front desk and suggested he may want to go out and retreive the chair before it hit someone's car. He took care of it. Last year's staff would have been surly and not done a thing.
I thanked him this morning. I said STAFF make or break any hotel. I did tell him about my negative experience last year and I was glad I had come back.
I had decided I'd give this place another chance and it was worth it. It's amazing the difference a year makes.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers face the parking lot, not the freeway. Room 308 is a 1 queen suite with a pu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This hotel is really a GREAT VALUE, quite close to the university (mainly the North Campus).
Staff is very kind. Continental breakfast is cold but really good, the review who states otherwise is an exception (or over expectation). Also they do not close it exactly at time as many other hotel do.
Rooms are good and nice, very well equipped, comfortable beds, everything. You can take the 1 Queen room for a ridiculous price, or add some bucks and have a really agreeable mini-suite. If you are frequent guest like me (more than 80 nights last 2 years), or even less, you may ask - and get - a free upgrade on availability basis.
I spent hundreds of night in US hotels for work (High-Tec), pleasure and visiting our daughter here: this is surely the best value for price I ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

If you are only looking for a clean room, a good bed, a light continental breakfast, and a friendly staff, this is the place to look on the northeast side of Ann Arbor, Michigan. We had made a visit to the University of MIchigan Cancer Center, then sought a room nearby. The desk clerk was quick to give us a discount when she learned we had come from the hospital, and we found everything to our liking. No frills, but that was already. We did not need the frills, just a good room for the night. This one works.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Plano, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012 via mobile

Strange setup for rooms. Has plenty of empty cabinet space, but nothing to cook with or eat with. Breakfast has bad carbs galore. Nothing hot or remotely interesting. Even the fresh bananas are half brown.

• Stayed January 2012
Twin Cities, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We were interested in a good place to stay overnight at a reasonable price. This met our expectations with no surprises. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the wireless internet was free. Among a set of properties at this price point, I'd have to say that the breakfast was at the lower end in terms of selection, but everything was clean and fresh.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor? Share your experiences!