“I wasn't disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Overland Park, KS
“I wasn't disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

After spending time on Trip Advisor and Yelp looking for a place to eat in Ann Arbor, I settled on Frita Batidos. I was alone on a business trip and couldn't decide if I wanted to sit at a large picnic table with a bunch of college students. Added to that was the fact that I wasn't very hungary after a heavy lunch at Midway on the way to Ann Arbor. I've only had one prior encounter with Cuban food and that was an excellent pulled pork sandwich. While that's on the menu here, I made a last minute decision to go with what their website says is traditional Cuban street food and ordered the chorizo frita with a fried egg. It was shockingly good and made me forget that I was still full from lunch. I also bought a bag of the fried plantains with the avacado spread. I would have called this spread guacamole and it, too, was excellent. It may not, however, be for every taste. It had a lot of cilantro, a fair amount of onion and some tomato chunks. There was also a little kick but I couldn't figure out what type of pepper was in it. There are bottles of chilled tap water on the tables along with plastic cups. You order at the counter, they take your name and, after it's prepared, someone brings it out from the kitchen and yells out your name. There are two tables on the sidewalk and each table easily seats eight. I elected to sit at a counter that faces the sidewalk in front of the restaurant and watched people going by.

If you've found this review useful, I will appreciate a Yes vote below.

Thanks for reading.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Vista, California
“Cuban Street Food on White Picnic Tables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This food was tasty and the mango drink was heavenly. The staff were kind and patient as we cared for my 15 month old granddaughter. They provided a cute and secure seat that fastened on the table edge.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roscommon, MI
“Cuban inspired and delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter selected Frita Batidos when I made a quick visit to Ann Arbor recently. She told me that it was recommended by a number of her friends and wanted to try it. It has a clean, contemporary feel with picnic tables for seating. You place your order for food and beverages at the counter and then are served at the tables very promptly. Once the lights were dimmed and multiple tealights were placed on all the tables the atmosphere was just perfect! We each chose a Frita, my daughter, beef and I chose the fish Frita with toppings recommended by the staff -- both melt in your mouth delicious! I was really hungry so this hit the spot and we treated ourselves with a Churros Espanol for dessert. The staff is friendly and helpful with the menu. We'll be returning to try some of their other inspirations!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Coral Gables, Florida
“This spot works!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great, fresh food. No fuss, plenty of muss with sauces and sides. A delicious spot to visit again and again!

Visited April 2013
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Great little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I absolutely loved this place! Was taken here for dinner with relatives, and was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere is very laid back, kinda casual-chic feel to it. It is clean and staffed with friendly people who stopped to chat with us. It is a tiny place, so it was a bit busy, but is was cool to sit next to people we didn't know and strike up a conversation.

The food is an American take on Cuban street food and it's delicious! Great options/customization for your sandwich, which is quite large. I had the chicken frita with muenster cheese, fried egg, avacado spread, and bacon with a side of fried plantains. Seriously yummy and filling. All ingredients were fresh-tasting, not old like there were sitting in the back kitchen. This place also makes great "milkshakes"...make sure to add a splash of rum!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere