“Visiting my daughter at U. Michigan” 5 of 5 stars

Bell Tower Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Thayer Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104   |
Ranked #7 of 30 hotels in Ann Arbor
New York City, New York
“Visiting my daughter at U. Michigan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had a wonderful time at the Bell Tower for one weekend in February. Although it was cold and snowy, my room was warm and cozy. From the lovely young man who greeted me at the entrance, to the Concierge at the desk, my stay was wonderful. The gym was more than adequate, with a state of the art treadmill, elliptical and universal. Sadly, no one else seemed to take advantage of it... they were all probably indulging in the generous Continental Breakfast in the restaurant. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in town. It made the visit with my daughter that much more memorable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities we offer. Please let us know how we are able to make your stay even more enjoyable next time you are here.

Good Travels!

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Dexter, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a work outing in Ann Arbor. To keep the group downtown we chose the Bell Tower. It is an older hotel with all kinds of European charm. It has the valet service and continental breakfast. Lots of woodwork- and it has been updated with granite and tile in the bathrooms. Staff was very friendly and professional. We were able to enjoy wine bars and brew pubs and walk home on a snowy weekend.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite that was excellent. Would have been perfect to meet with friends before dinne...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I am glad to hear our location suited your needs. Ann Arbor can be very beautiful in the evening when the trees are lit and the large snow flakes are falling. I hope your stroll was enjoyable!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Bryan, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bell Tower for one night in the middle of February, 2013. We enjoyed our stay very much, and found the rooms, the staff and the atmosphere superb. We stayed in an 'Atrium Suite' on the second floor and found that it suited our needs perfectly. Although the bed was only full sized, it was adequate for one night, and the mattress provided excellent support. The rooms were spotless, including the two bathrooms, and we found the granite counters and tiled showers completely up to date. The staff were universally friendly, helpful and personable.
Both the valet staff and the front desk went out of their way to make us feel welcome, and treated us as valued customers. The breakfast was fine, with excellent coffee and an assortment of continental offerings. All in all we had no complaints on any front.
It is important to remember that this is a small hotel squeezed into the block adjacent to Hill Auditorium. It is the most conveniently located hotel for the UM campus, State Street stores and restaurants. It does not, however, fit the paradigm of glass box, chain hotels. It's a little dark and the hallways a bit tight, but the courtesy of the staff and its location more than makes up for any deficiencies inherent in the physical structure. I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years, and, in my view, the current iteration is the best. Good staff, good rooms, free parking all in the heart of campus. Definitely the best choice in Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: Interior suites are quiet, but a bit dark.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and especially the staff. We have some physical limitations but determine our own destination as far as our guest service. I truly feel we offer the highest guest service in the state.

Again, thank you for the kind words and we look forward to your return stays.

Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I too thought this was not going to be the best choice for a hotel when I thought the photos looked outdated. The hotel is outdated, but has charm. The bathroom in our room was nicer than most newer hotels that I have been in! We also had bathrobes and slippers, which you don't get at most other hotels! But, even beyond the great price, location , valet and free breakfast...was the service. EVERYONE from valet, front desk, to cleaning crew...couldn't have been more curteous. They really made you feel like you were a special guest whenever they came into contact with you. I wish more hotels were like this!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I never get tired of hearing about our service. I am glad to see that our guests recognize the effort, training and emphasis we place on guest service.

Thank you again!

Glen Ridge, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

From the photos in advance I was expecting the room to be a bit dated and faded, yet still chose to stay there because of location and the free breakfast and free valet parking. I was visiting my daughter and wanted to be on campus this visit so we could walk to town, and she could stay with me and go to class easily. I must have gotten a re-done bathroom as it had a brand new stall shower with glass door, and nice granite counters. The room was small, but had plenty of storage, and the bed was very comfortable and all was very clean and well kept. Staff was great, loved the valet bringing the car each time we needed it, and it was kept garaged, so no ice had to be scraped off! Also I thought the breakfast assortment was great, better than Hampton/Holiday Inn, and the gym room was a bonus for this small intown hotel. I used it a few times.
My only negative, was my location on the alley meant that each morning at 6;30 the garbage pick up came, and with the back up beepers and the crashing of the dumpster woke me up each morning, except Sunday.
Once all the bathrooms are done this will be perfect for an in town stay. We usually stay down by Briarwood Mall, but the convenience of being in town was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated bathroom, away from the alley.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I am glad that we exceeded your expectations. That is our mission for every guest. I am also sorry that you were awoken by the garbage trucks. I am continually trying to improve that. I am also researching new windows for that side of the hotel. I am looking for sound proof windows that an airport hotel would use. Anyway, with any luck, I will be able to install them this year and dissolve this problem.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to having you stay at the hotel when you are in Ann Arbor again.

Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed in room 206 for 2 nights. Bathroom was not as described in previous reviews ... I actually considered asking the staff how they kept the shower doors so clean since I need a trick for my shower at home! Found the hotel to be very welcoming and accommodating. Needed to have a 30 page medical record faxed to me and they were happy to receive, called me when it came and delivered it to my room. Great location since I was there to see my daughter who is a student at Umich. Valet parking was fantastic, especially since the weather was quite brutal while I was there. Continental breakfast was included in the room rate ($180 per night) and was quite nice ... their homemade donuts are fantastic. Have stayed at their sister hotel The Campus Inn which is more modern and has brighter rooms but they are more expensive and not as conveniently located to campus. Have also stayed much farther from campus at Holiday Inn and other hotels off the highway which have been good but, in my opinion, the minimal savings in the room rate does not make up for the convenience of the Bell Tower.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the side parking lot of the building next door. If that would bother you, ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I am glad to hear that your stay went well and I hope you will make the Bell Tower your home away from home when returning to Ann Arbor.

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

Grand Haven, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have a mixed review of the Belltower because of the physical issues with the facility. My wife and I are regular visitors to AA because our son is a student at U of M. We've stayed at a few different hotels while visiting A2 and the Belltower's location is unbeatable. Literally on the edge of campus, any activities at Michigan are walkable, as are lots of restaurants, bars and stores. Valet parking was very efficient and our car was always waiting for us; we never had to wait for it.

The staff was without equal. Without exception, every employee had a smile on his / her face, treated us with respect, and was very friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and well appointed in a classic, historic style. Amenities were sufficient in the room and bathroom.

My complaint was with the physical facilities, most notably in the bathroom. Both the shower and bathroom doors were corroded at the bottom, something that can be easily repaired or replaced. The track of the shower was either in need of cleaning or replacement - I didn't want to check it. The bathroom floor tiles were quite old and, even though they were clean, looked as though they we dirty. Again, a replacement issue.

The other issue I had was with the "view" from our window. Without any advance warning, when we got to our room the view was of a solid brick wall over an alley. Understanding that this hotel is tucked neatly away in the city, I feel that customers should either get a discount for the view or at least a choice of rooms. For roughly $200 per night this should be a consideration.

Overall, this is a well-run hotel, convenient to the University and the city. It's just a bit overpriced for the facilities. Would I stay there again? Probably not. Would I recommend against it for others? Probably not, depending on their wants and needs.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Half of the hotel has new bathrooms and we have completed another two mock up bathrooms on the other side. The two new bathrooms have heated floors and a built in television in the bathroom mirror. We have also just completed a HVAC project with more projects scheduled this year.
I truly hope you change your opinion and try our property again. You will not find another hotel in Ann Arbor with our level of cleanliness and service.

DeWayne Grann

Been to Bell Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!