“Two nights at the Bell Tower” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Thayer Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104   |
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Island, NY
“Two nights at the Bell Tower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed in room 206 for 2 nights. Bathroom was not as described in previous reviews ... I actually considered asking the staff how they kept the shower doors so clean since I need a trick for my shower at home! Found the hotel to be very welcoming and accommodating. Needed to have a 30 page medical record faxed to me and they were happy to receive, called me when it came and delivered it to my room. Great location since I was there to see my daughter who is a student at Umich. Valet parking was fantastic, especially since the weather was quite brutal while I was there. Continental breakfast was included in the room rate ($180 per night) and was quite nice ... their homemade donuts are fantastic. Have stayed at their sister hotel The Campus Inn which is more modern and has brighter rooms but they are more expensive and not as conveniently located to campus. Have also stayed much farther from campus at Holiday Inn and other hotels off the highway which have been good but, in my opinion, the minimal savings in the room rate does not make up for the convenience of the Bell Tower.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the side parking lot of the building next door. If that would bother you, ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I am glad to hear that your stay went well and I hope you will make the Bell Tower your home away from home when returning to Ann Arbor.

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

DeWayne Grann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Grand Haven, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have a mixed review of the Belltower because of the physical issues with the facility. My wife and I are regular visitors to AA because our son is a student at U of M. We've stayed at a few different hotels while visiting A2 and the Belltower's location is unbeatable. Literally on the edge of campus, any activities at Michigan are walkable, as are lots of restaurants, bars and stores. Valet parking was very efficient and our car was always waiting for us; we never had to wait for it.

The staff was without equal. Without exception, every employee had a smile on his / her face, treated us with respect, and was very friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and well appointed in a classic, historic style. Amenities were sufficient in the room and bathroom.

My complaint was with the physical facilities, most notably in the bathroom. Both the shower and bathroom doors were corroded at the bottom, something that can be easily repaired or replaced. The track of the shower was either in need of cleaning or replacement - I didn't want to check it. The bathroom floor tiles were quite old and, even though they were clean, looked as though they we dirty. Again, a replacement issue.

The other issue I had was with the "view" from our window. Without any advance warning, when we got to our room the view was of a solid brick wall over an alley. Understanding that this hotel is tucked neatly away in the city, I feel that customers should either get a discount for the view or at least a choice of rooms. For roughly $200 per night this should be a consideration.

Overall, this is a well-run hotel, convenient to the University and the city. It's just a bit overpriced for the facilities. Would I stay there again? Probably not. Would I recommend against it for others? Probably not, depending on their wants and needs.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Half of the hotel has new bathrooms and we have completed another two mock up bathrooms on the other side. The two new bathrooms have heated floors and a built in television in the bathroom mirror. We have also just completed a HVAC project with more projects scheduled this year.
I truly hope you change your opinion and try our property again. You will not find another hotel in Ann Arbor with our level of cleanliness and service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and i stayed here because we had a concert to attend at the hall across the street. It was the perfect location but i feel it was still a little over priced. The hotel was older, but we didnt mind that because the atmosphere is welcoming. The staff is friendly and helpful. Their breakfast is the most basic continental i've had however it was a continental breakfast. The resturant inside the hotel was ok enough but would definately go to the surrounding eateries next time. To sum it up I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I am glad you were able to stay and enjoy a show at Hill across the street. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the continental breakfast but are happy to state we will have a new hot breakfast implemented in the next few weeks.

We look forward to your return so you can evaluate it then.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Bell Tower sent the reservation confirmation to a family member rather than to my email address when my email address was the one provided and the one used to make my online reservation. I discussed this over the phone and a week later, a customer satisfaction email was sent to the famy member's email address. I recommend not making online reservations with Bell Tower or any related hotels---better to make them over the phone!

• Stayed January 2013
We appreciate your response to your reservation but how are we able to use an email address that was not provided to us? I am sorry this happened but there isn't a way our system can create email addresses? Again, I am sorry because I don't know how this could happen.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Two friends and I stayed 3 nights at the Bell Tower Hotel in icy cold weather in the middle of January this year (2013.) It could not have been more wonderful. Of course it was toasty warm in the spotlessly clean rooms. The lobby is classic and elegant and I couldn't ride the elevator often enough. It has brass railings, polished brass wall and smoked mirror glass. Service was excellent, friendly, and efficient - old world class without being snobby. I would like to go there again soon.

Room Tip: There are rooms near the back where you can hear street noise so the center of the hotel is best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return stays! I am also glad that you enjoyed our elevator. My Front Office Manager mentioned you made that comment upon departure. Thanks again!

Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our second stay at the Bell Tower. Both times we had a lovely corner suite which made it easy to have our daughter stay with us. Valet parking was great and there was no hassle over having two vehicles. We did not partake in the continental breakfast so have no opinion on that. The location across from Hill Auditorium is amazing because it puts you right in the middle of the University. Go Blue!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your future stays! Have a great week.

Regards,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great hotel with a great staff. The hotel is a bit overpriced, but the service and rooms are exceptional. I always have my friends and family stay at this hotel when they are in town visiting or down for a football game. This will be my go to hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for making us your "go to" hotel. We are proud to be anyone's go to hotel. We look forward to your return stays with us!

DeWayne Grann

Been to Bell Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!