“Another victim of the "new management"” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allendale
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Another victim of the "new management"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was helping to organize a conference in Allendale for this October, which is heavily attended by college students around Michigan. Back in May, the SLeep Inn was very friendly in holding a block of rooms for the conference attendees and offering a $65 room rate.

Just a few weeks ago, I confirmed this room rate with the hotel.

However, I'm now being told by a conference attendee that after booking a room at the $65 rate, she was called back and told that the new manager would not honor that rate--and the room rate is now $94.

Still hoping this can be resolved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My daughter contacted the Allendale Sleep Inn to redeem a gift certificate that she received through a school audition the previous year with no expiration date. She was told that the Sleep Inn changed ownership and they "don't want to lose all that money". Unless the Sleep Inn is fully occupied every single weekend night I do not see how they are losing money. Good faith goes a long way. Honoring a gift certificate is just the right thing to do. Positive or negative advertising is priceless - they chose to not honor the gift certificate donated to a good cause. My daughter is a school teacher and unfortunately this experience will be shared with others.

Room Tip: I am looking forward to a response from the management of this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hudsonville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This past year Allendale Sleep Inn and Suites donated a gift certificate to a local school for a fundraising event. My husband and I had purchased (won through the auction) these certificates at this school for the last 3 years. As I was calling to make my reservation for this year, I was informed that they switched new ownership in April and Pete the General Manager was no longer going to accept these certificates. I talked to Pete and he said "I don't want to lose all that money." Well then honor the remaining certificates that were handed out and don't hand out any more. This certificate had an authorized signature and was 3 months from the expiration date. I will never do business with that place again as that is their view on community support and honoring gift certificates.

Room Tip: To get a good room stay at Quality Inn in Hudsonville.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We originally booked the Sleep Inn in Allendale as one of our hotel options for out of town wedding guests - this was done in December 2012 for an October 2013 wedding. Our initial experience was very good, but this hotel recently came under new management, and that is when things seemed to fall apart. All reservations made prior to the management change were lost. As guests called and tried to book rooms, some were told there were no rooms available, even though there were several left in our reserved block. Others were told that the reserved block of rooms could not even be located. Guests were also incorrectly informed by the manager that the hotel was 40 minutes away from the wedding location, when it was really only 10 minutes away. When we personally called to check on the situation, we found out that the large rooms we initially reserved for our wedding party to dress in had been released to someone else entirely. In the end, we completely cancelled our block of rooms here and have moved all of our guests to the Holiday Inn Express in Grandville. We explained the situation to them and they were wonderful to work with, and made special arrangements for us to accommodate the last minute changes.
The staff we spoke to at Sleep Inn were very courteous and accommodating; the problem appears to be with the manager. I am just thankful we figured this all out a month prior to the wedding rather than when everyone arrived. I would absolutely advise against making reservations at this hotel until further management changes are made.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Walhalla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here on 8-24-2013 during one of our weekend shopping get aways and had a very enjoyable experience. The room was spacious and clean, beds were nice and comfortable. The common areas were clean and tidy and the staff was superb! We couldn't have asked for a better stay. All in all Just a super place to stay when traveling.

We will definately consider staying here again on future weekend getaways in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Clinton Township, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I called over a month before our stay to make reservations for 2 rooms, for my family and my sister's family. When I called to reserved the rooms, the person who I was speaking to had a very thick accent and I kept asking him to repeat himself. Because I wasn't sure if he was understanding me, I asked him 3 times "so, that's for August 2,3 and 4th, for 2 rooms, right?!" He assured me, "Yes, Ma'am. That's correct." So, my family and my sister's family checked in on the 2nd. On the 3rd, my family was in a parade in Grand Haven and I received a panicked phone call from my sister back at the hotel, that we didn't have rooms for the 3rd and 4th. I called the front desk right away and explained that I had made reservations for 3 nights and this clearly had to be a mistake. When the girl at the desk asked if I remembered who I spoke to, I said "yes, I remember very clearly. It was a man..." and she finished "with an accent?" I said, "Yes!" She proceeded to tell me I had spoken with the owner and that he makes mistakes like this all the time. So, the owner calls me, and it's like talking to a wall. He said I had requested 1 night, so he put it in the computer for 1 night. I asked him, "So, you can tell me you 100% remember speaking with ME, and ME saying that exact thing to you?" He says, "No, I couldn't possibly remember that. But you said, 1 night, so I put it in the computer for 1 night. I not make mistake." So, you can clearly see that this went around in circles with him. He refused to make things right, he refused to listen to me and he refused to do anything about it. DO NOT MAKE RESERVATIONS HERE! It is not worth it. We had to scramble to find rooms for the next two nights for our 2 families and ended up in an even crappier hotel. Oh, and the showers are extremely slippery and my son fell many times in the shower. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen and I did leave a complaint at the front desk about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We called over a month ago to make our reservation so we could go to a family members wedding at grand valley. I called the day before to confirm our reservation and they had somehow lost it. I had to wait over 3 hours so a manager who barely spoke English to call me back. Even though they had all my information AND I had the confirmation number the manager kept saying that it was my mistake and I should call another hotel. There was nothing he could do and he wa sorry, thank you, good bye. He kept saying that over and over until I asked for another manager and he said he owned the place and that it wasn't his problem that I had made a mistake. He had other customers who planned ahead and made reservations that's why they have rooms. I am so upset about this still! We had to scramble around last minute on our way to the wedding to get a hotel nearby for a higher price. The girl at the front desk at the new hotel told us that a lot of people stay here because Sleep Inn "loses" their reservations last minute. I would NOT recommend dealing with Sleep Inn and I hope the owner goes out of business.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!