“Horrible management” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Allendale
“Horrible management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

At midnight some enormously loud machine kicked on transforming my room into the interior of a passenger get. When management was informed I was told there was nothing that could be done. The next morning when approached about compensation for the miserable noise all night, the worker behind the counter "didn't know how to apply a discount" and her supervisor was "not answering". Horribly run hotel would not reccomend staying there.

• Stayed May 2013

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here overnight for a campus tour at GVSU. The hotel is clean but smells just like chlorine throughout from the pool (I guess). The beds were comfortable for me. It's conveniently located near the campus and other businesses.The staff was very friendly and kind. Nice variety of food for contential breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Shelby Twp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This the only Hotel located in the immediate GVSU area! I found the rooms less than Clean, and the Beds Extremely Uncomfortable! With that said, let me say...The staff, is the most wonderful group of people!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just spent a night visiting my daughter at GVSU. The rooms are clean and close to the university.
The staff is really friendly. Under $100.00 using a AAA card. The Main Street Pub is basically in the adjoining parking lot. Good food, several TV's and live singing on the Friday we were there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Will never stay at a Sleep Inn and Suites again, sorry. Stayed at a different one last week and not very happy and now this one again not happy.
First, I gained a very valuable lesson that I will share: please mapquest where you are staying thoroughly. I picked this hotel for another trip to Lake Michigan and it appeared close to Grand Haven and Holland and mile-wise it is. The problem is that it is in a rural area not near the highway so 10 miles takes 20 minutes. If you are going to Grand Valley its nice and close. For my trip, it was not good.
Now the hotel itself, the new thing with some of these places is that they are not turning the air on in the rooms so it is like death when you get there. The refrigerator was not working in the first room and I got moved and that went fairly smoothly. Ice is only on the first floor. Oh and no air in the hallway! I had a king room and it was roomy and appeared clean. The rooms are paper thin and you can hear your neighbor.
Breakfast is a waste. The food just did not look appetizing. I went the first day and made a waffle which was not the right consistency so it overcooked. I didn't bother the other two days.
Now here is the clincher. Like the other sleep inn and suites I stayed in, the bathroom is tiny and the shower is just that, a shower only which thankfully is decent size because I fell in it this morning and if it had been any smaller i think I would have been in even more trouble. As it was I hit my head, back and cut my foot. Now here is why I mention it: when I got back to the room after the first night of my stay and housekeeping had "cleaned" the room, my hair was still in the shower. Now maybe the shower got cleaned between then and today but I will tell you that I have never fallen in a shower ever and my feet just slid right out from under me with no hesitation. I reported it to the front desk and he was apologetic but did not bother offering a bandaid when I told him I cut my foot. I'm just never staying at one of these again, there are too many choices.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor so you don't hear people above you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I picked this hotel based on proximity to Grand Valley university, sadly that is the only thing this place had going for it.
I called to confirm my reservation the day before and requested a room change but was told that due to booking online I could not change my room, I asked if a supervisor could look into it and let me know. I heard nothing back and on arrival my request was a surprise to the counter staff who never even bothered to check with the manager and simply told me they were now fully booked anyway. Apparently my rather simple request to have the chance to give them more money was put in the too hard basket.

We accepted the luck of the draw to go to our room to find a small, dark room that provides no privacy while using the bathroom, only stay here if you are comfortable with the people in your room (and possibly other rooms) hearing you use the bathroom in detail. The walls are thin and my partner and I got to enjoy listening to the people in the next room talking until early morning.

Having had a poor nights sleep and a long day we wanted to order in, unsurprisingly the WiFi was not working so I asked at the desk for delivery resturant menus for the area. After confirming that pizza would be fine I walked away with a brochure for a place that does wings (?) and a written down phone number for a place but no clues on what their menu was, having already explained I was a foreigner and unfamiliar with the chain. It was irrelevant as said place was closed. The final straw that led me to actually write this review was the ants crawling all over the bedside table, the ant trap placed behind the bedside table was inadequate to deal with the invasion of ants, but a clear indication that the hotel was aware of the problem but as with every other part of my experience here, unwilling to expend any effort on fixing it.

I will not be staying here again and will be encouraging my friends and family to spend the extra time travelling from Grandville or Grand Rapids when attending events at GVSU, the convenience of being near the campus does not make up for the shortcomings here.

• Stayed June 2012
Harbor Springs, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Overall, this hotel is very convenient to the college. The room we stayed in (2nd floor, suite) smelled like musty pool water. Our clothes smelled too. Other than that, the room was clean and bed was comfy. We could hear the people in the next room, but thankfully they went to bed by 11:30 p.m. The breakfast is just okay. The hotel gave us a 10% discount because we were visting the college. Although, we still ended up paying $130 for a suite (King bed with pull-out couch). The couch was fairly worn, so it went unused.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!