“fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Allen Park
chicago illinois
“fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

First I must say the location was perfect, this hotel was very clean,the garden with all the gazebos were beautiful, especially after walking all day at the henry ford/greenfield village and then take a short short drive back to the room to rest, the people were so kind and downtown detroit is making a very positive change we loved it!! the hardrock was great, woodward ave is making a slow renovation and it is a joy to see, yes, detroit we will be back,
best western got my vote thank you for everything...

jennifer c. chicago

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

Chekcing in to this hotel was a breeze...arrived really late at night
due to a delayed flight, but the room was still held, with no penalty.

Getting TO the room however, required a marathon effort - the walk (no bellman or luggage trolleys) seemed about 1/2 a mile, with plenty
of corridor corners to negotiate with two suitcases - NOT nice, particularly late at night, and being a very weary traveller.

I would recommend not going (or staying) anywhere near the pool - the smell of amonia and chlorine (not to mention the heat) from the pool stung your eyes and made you catch your breath, even as you walked past in the hallway - heaven knows what might have happened to you had you actually entered the water!

My room was spotless - but a little tired, and a little small. Decorated with Queen Ann pieces, which was to my taste, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

The bed was VERY comfy though - it was easy to pretend that I was home in my own bed - but the bathroom was a let down - the hair dryer
and mirror are in the room entry - the bathroom itself is too small to accomodate the electrical fittings safely I would say.

Still, I was travelling on my own, so it was not really a big deal to
me, but it might be to others.

The hotel does have its own laundry though, which was fantastic, as it was literally just accross from my room... and everything must be soundproofed, because I never heard a peep from the laundry, the hallway, or even the next room - another bonus!

Free internet use in the lobby, and that promised tray of home-baked cookies was always well stocked. Didn't sample any though, so I can't
comment on their quality - but they smelled great!

Room service was great - very prompt, which was surpirsing, given the length of the corridors they had to negotiate to get to my room!
Serves were huge, and the meal was cooked exactly to order, and served piping hot. Well worth the extra $$'s to eat in peace in my room, as the Pub was not non-smoking.

On a return trip, I would stay here again, but it wouldn't be my absolute first pick.

• Liked — Great Bed
  • Disliked — Smell of chloring and Ammonia from hotel pool/spa
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

The hotel is very old but its kept clean and has a charm about it that most hotels do not have. Its very victorian/colonial and doesn't feel like a hotel. I liked the little touches within the room such as special magnifying mirrors and Bath & Body Works products throughout the room. The area feels safe and right across the highway are new restaurants and shopping including Target - Meijer is being built too. I would stay here again. But if I had kids, I might choose a hotel with larger rooms.

• Liked — coziness
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — visit the new restaurants and shopping nearby!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham,Al
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel while visiting the Ford museum, Greenfield Village etc... I booked the property based on the reviews I had read. I, however, did not find this property to be "the gem" I was expecting based on earlier reviews. I guess the main problem I had was the stale smoke smell in the entire hotel. Word of advice...if you don't smoke choose another hotel!! Although we were in "non smoking rooms" the hotel is such that smoking rooms are just down the hall and it was obvious in the halls and could even be smelled in our room. There is a lovely pub style bar but the smoke was so thick in it (with only about 4 customers) I got my beer to go and hurried out. We didn't try the restaurant but it looked rather "blah" and nondescript. The halls of the restaurant are nicely decorated and the antique car pictures are really nice but the whole place just did not feel clean to me. We took my kids to the pool and it was a strange cloudy color (they didn't even want to get in it) and it was so hot and smelly of chlorine in the indoor pool area you could not stand to sit in the area.

Our room was "OK." The bed was actually comfy and we got a quiet good night's rest. However, on arrival there was a tissue on the floor of our room and my son found a "pill" laying on top of the bedspread. Luckily, he was old enough not to put this "mystery pill" in his mouth!!! The rooms are beginning to show some general wear and tear and just felt like they needed a good cleaning.

Overall, if you are used to luxury properties ( I will admit I've been spoiled by some very nice hotels), this is not the place to chooose. The staff is friendly and nice and for $89 a night for a room with 2 double beds perhaps I should not have expected more. The location is perfect for the Ford attractions and there is plenty of family friendly shopping and dining just a couple of short blocks away. If however, you are looking for attention to detail, luxury, and a fresh true "non smoking" smell....look somewhere else.
With some attention to detail and refurbishing, re configuration of the "smoking rooms vs non smoking" it could be a much nicer property.
Had it to do over again I probably would have considered the Dearborn Inn- Marriott more seriously. We rode by it (which is right next to the museums etc.) and it is truly a lovely looking historic property although I know nothing of the room quality etc.. and certainly would have been forced to paid more money for a property like this I'm sure...i.e. if on a budget these two properties would not be "apples to apples" but if you want to spend a little more...I'd check it out! (wish we had!!)

There was a Holiday Inn Express right next to the Greenfield Inn that looked a little newer and might be an option in the same price range.(just FYI)

• Stayed July 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

We only stayed here one night to break up our trip across America, but wish we could have stayed for longer. The hotel is fantastic, really quaint. Service is first class, we mentioned it was our wedding anniversary and they upgraded us to a beautiful suite with four poster king bed. The pool is great, nice bar area, and breakfast was really good. Close to all the Henry Ford attractions and nice restaurants. This was a really pleasant surprise and a great hotel to stay at. Overall a very relaxing stay which we hope to repeat some day.

Stayed May 2006
Northern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

Best Western Greenfield Inn really fit the bill for a quick Detroit area business trip. Their location and free shuttle bus offer from the airport made it easy to get to, and when flight delays pushed back my arrival, they paid my cabfare after their shuttle driver had gone off-duty.

The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient at check in, and the room acconmodation was large, nicely decorated (American Victorian) and in good shape. Even if the reclining easy chair was a touch worn, it was still very comfortable. The room was nicely apointed with a large desk, free high-speed wireless internet (thank you!), a mini-frige, coffee maker and iron and ironing board. The hotel also had a printer available in the lobby a comfortable looking bar, and quick service in their breakfast restaurant.

I had the feeling it was more of a family-oriented place, but the night I was there the hotel was pretty slow so kids were not an issue. It provided everything I needed at a great value. I'm glad I stayed there.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

We stayed at the Best Western Greenfield Inn for two weeks just resently and I can honestly say that both my husband and I were very impressed. The front desk staff were friendly helpful in fact nothing was too much trouble for them they even helped me print new business cards when I had ran out.
We had booked what in the UK would be and executive room but they upgraded us after 1 night to a suite across the hall.
The hotel was clean, comfortable. I would recommend anyone visiting Detroit to stay there it is only about 15mins to City centre the only problem we found was the road works made it difficult to find the first day but after that we were ok.
Best Western have hotels here in the UK but nothing at the price and comfort or standard as this.

Been to BEST WESTERN Greenfield Inn? Share your experiences!