“Not that good” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Michigan
“Not that good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We haven't been in the Wheat and Rye in years because of how smokey it always was in there. Now that there is no smoking in resterants and they remodeled we thought we would try it. We were underwhelmed, I ordered a southwest burger but there was nothing southwest about it. The bun was greasy and the onions were slimy, it was so gross I sent it back. My son wanted ravioli but they only serve it on "pasta night" then he wanted the fried mozzarella cheese sticks but he couldn't get a side of marinara because it wasn't "pasta night" he ordered mini taco's. When he got them they were bite size deep fried taco shells with beef in them...that's it, no cheese, taco sauce, tomatoes, just greasy beef in a bitesize closed taco shell. They didnt have any taco sauce or nacho cheese to dip them in because it wasn't "Mexican night" my husband got a fish dinner with au gratin potatoes. The fish was OK but the potatoes were sliced an inch thick with a non tasting sauce poured over them, they must have been bad because he didnt eat them, he never leaves food on his plate. Needless to say we will not be back and I would never recommend anyone to eat there, out of three meals not one was good. Years ago they had great burgers, I don't know what happend :-(

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Lackluster food despite new looks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hoping the recent renovations signaled an upgrade in the overall experience we stopped in for dinner the other night at this local establishment a few blocks from home. With fresh eyes and a good appetite we stepped in and could see that the décor was fine - typical local bar - but the thing that really caught our eye was a lack of patrons. We rather expected a bigger group on a long holiday weekend evening. The wait staff were adequate but not particularly engaged, friendly or helpful. For example, we ordered an appetizer and two entries and they all arrived at once. We looked around for ketchup and mustard for the burger and fries; finding none we waited, and waited, and waited, and eventually I got up, went to the wait station and got them for myself. No big deal on a busy night, but.... Also, I'm a fan of hot wings with blue-cheese dressing. The wings arrived, looked a little odd (some sort of sesame deep fry batter), but were indeed fully cooked. The hot sauce that had been haphazardly sloshed over the wings was terrible - hot, yes, flavorful: NO. They were so awful I ate no more. Moving on to the burger, it was dry with only a small handful of minced lettuce tossed partly into the bun - no tomato, no special sauce, no nothin' else. C'mon folks - any decent chef can make a great burger and the cost of time and ingredients is - at most - marginally more. What I take away from this visit is a pervasive attitude of "get 'er done and don't sweat the details. Drunk people (which we certainly were not) can't tell the difference anyway..." Sad. We had real hopes but won't be back and can not in good conscience recommend this establishment to friends and neighbors. Or maybe they already knew, which is why they were not there in the first place??

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, Canada
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great Food. Go hungry. Great time. Happy Hour was great! Definately will be back! Went with a group and everyone had a great experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Muskegon, Michigan
“Tons of food. Low prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

The food here is good. Huge portions. Mediocre quality. Wait staff. Not very attentive. Cheap steaks

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Findlay, Ohio
“Large volume of cheap low grade food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

If you are hungry and want to get a lot of food for super cheap this is a good stop. Otherwise, keep on trucking. The steak I got outmatched my steak knife and I desired a chainsaw. On a positive note they had a pool table and I enjoyed playing a game.

• Visited November 2012