“Very hippy-ish and great change to La Paz” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beehive

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sucre
The Beehive
You added The Beehive to your Saves list
Calle Avaroa 607 | (Entre Calle la Paz y Azurduy), Sucre, Bolivia   |
Ranked #2 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very hippy-ish and great change to La Paz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Following staying at the Wild Rover, this was a welcome escape from the madness. This was probably the best hostel I stayed in while in South America, absolutely loved it, while you also get a free night if you run a course for other people staying there.
The breakfast is really good. Only one insult, one shower between a lot of people.
You can also read my full review on Spaghettitraveller.com

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is by far the nicest hostel I have ever stayed in and most people have a hard time leaving and delay :) I felt at home after a couple hours already, not only enjoying the great atmosphere and delicious home made breakfast but also the healthy life style created by a good mix of being able to study in the cosy quiet garden area in the afternoons, going for concerts, movies or walley at nights with everybody. Not to forget the Sunday night meals at "home" when everybody sits around the big table to enjoy healthy home cooked food.
It's the perfect hostel for solo travelers and couples who are looking for a break in-between all the moving around and just want a homely place to stay and enjoy life for a couple days.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Couple of blocks away from noisy centre of town.
Nice garden area.
Great breakfast - home made pancakes, french toast etc.
Sociable - volleyball games and meals, but not noisy party hostel.
Friendly helpful staff.
Beds comfortable and showers hot.
Great value.
Eco aware and making contributions to area.
Can´t really ask for more can you?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Beehive is a great, cosy hostel in Sucre run by a American woman and a local Bolivian woman. There are 3 dorms, two with ensuites, and a matrimonial room, as well as a kitchen, garden, three shared bathrooms, and two common areas. The owners also run several events every week, including wallyball (Bolivian volleyball, lots of fun!), pilates classes, and communal Sunday dinners. The breakfasts are also amazing, probably the best I've had in South America, and are included in the price (65BOB for a dorm bed). The showers are usually nice and hot, although as with everywhere in Bolivia they can be temperamental. There is wifi throughout the house, but when everyone is using it it can be quite slow. The location is great, a 10 minute walk from the main square on a quiet street (no traffic noise!). There is no sign outside, but it's the only green door on the street. My friend and I came to stay for a week and ended up staying for three instead, so be warned that you might not want to leave!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Beehive has a warm friendly vibe with very helpful staff and an amazing breakfast. My husband and I came to visit the Beehive in late May this year and we stayed in the matrimonial. The bed was super comfortable and shower was nice and hot! I was told by the staff that they hand make they're own candied ginger for the oatmeal for breakfast, so good! They have fun events like scavenger hunts, language exchange nights and Spanish classes. The Beehive is not only a Hostal but a community center that helps bring foreigners and locals together through various fun activists! I also know that the Beehive is completely by woman which I think is pretty rad! My husband and I actually like it so much that we decided to come back and live in Sucre! I could spend all day reading a book/ falling asleep one of the hammocks soaking in beautiful scenery. I love this place and highly recommend the Beehive! <3

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Having stayed in several Sucre hostels we experienced nothing but disappointment so we decided to come here after reading some good reviews. We found our welcome to be an inconvenience to one of the owners but we thought it could not get any worse and stayed.

We were shown to our room and told that the shower takes a few minutes to get hot. I stepped in and it got cold after 30 seconds which happened every day which meant getting dressed again and moving to the other shower in the main room. There was a robbery during our stay and several things went missing, they leave the front gate open during the day which means anyone can walk in and take stuff. It was their fault for not using lockers but you should not feel so unsafe in a hostel.

There is a curfew here which does not seem fair. The hostel is very expensive for a dorm and there is nothing to keep you cool on those hot nights. The mornings are awful because the room is like a greenhouse, you wake up at sunrise because of the heat which is where the cold shower comes in I suppose.

The owner charges you to rent a DVD even though there is no TV, only a laptop that overheats. The internet is the worst I have experienced in South America (and I have used it in the jungle).

The laundry is cheap but the owner insists on using cold water with washing powder and only puts the wash on for 20 minutes. All this does is make the clothes wet and then you have to hang the clothes your self.

The most disturbing thing about the hostel is the owner. She can be a great host but then the next minute she is snappy, rude and unhelpful. It was hard for us to keep up with this.

On the bright side the cleaner is very friendly and really cheers your day up.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I *thoroughly* enjoyed my time at the Beehive - so much, that I stayed here on two separate occasions in my three-week stay in Sucre. As others have mentioned, the breakfast is fantastic (choice of egg frittata and toast, cinnamon oatmeal topped with candied ginger and coconut, or fruit salad with yogurt and granola during the week; whole wheat pancakes with fruit on Saturdays; and french toast with fruit on Sundays). Everything is homemade to boot - I've seen Amanda whipping up that granola and candied ginger myself.

But what made me return to Beehive was the friendly vibe. The staff is warm and helpful, and they focus on integrating the foreign visitors into the local culture. There are community events throughout the week to bring these groups together, including Sunday dinners, Wallyball (imagine if volleyball and squash had a Bolivian baby), scavenger hunts, and Pilates classes. Plus, many of the guests are longish-term visitors taking Spanish classes, so it was great to have people not only understand the need to do homework, but encourage it.

The facilities are clean and cozy, there's a fully-stocked kitchen that guests can use to cook, and there are two community laptops for watching movies or getting work done. Although this place attracts a younger crowd since most rooms are dorms (there's one matrimonial), it's not a party hostel. While it's really easy to get a group together to go out for dinner, drinks or dancing, it's not common for parties to last late at the hostel. I was initially put off by the curfew (midnight during the week and 3am on weekends), but after a couple nights in Sucre, I realized that there's not a ton going on late during the week anyway and the curfew never cramped my style.

I'd definitely recommend anyone stay at the Beehive!

Room Tip: The green room has the best access to internet, but the coldest showers. Blue room has the hottest s...