“Could have / should have been better.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 68 restaurants in Sucre
Cuisines: American, European, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: The best coffee-expert in Sucre (expresso's, cappuccino's and many more). Everything we serve is home-made including the delicious ice-cream and pastry. All our dishes are carefully prepared and handled so you would not have problems with the bowels. Don't worry to eat our salads or fruits. All sorts of breakfasts are served as well. We aim for excellence in all we do. We are open daily from 08:00 till 22:00.
Cairns, Australia
“Could have / should have been better.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a Sunday morning breakfast here and was disappointed. Our arrival was greeted with the enthusiasm of more likely shown to the tax collector (she did perk up a bit later however). The americano breakfast was our choice. The coffee was too bitter and slightly burnt, the orange juice as fresh as yesterdays, eggs swimming in oil (the fried ones), the scrambled eggs were tasteless and the bread enjoyed its second chance at life from last week.
The jam was nice and it is in a great location!
I know that sometimes places have off-days, I will not be going back to find the truth of this.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ystorms, Propietario at Abis Cafe, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
We spend a lot of time teaching our employees to guarantee the quality of our products, the best customer service as possible, and best hygiene. Every time I am in our businesses I speak with the customers to find out how they like Abis. I spend a lot of time doing that because that is the goal of our business, to serve our customers at our best. So wherever we can improve we improve. We seek for excellence all the time. It is challenging but also very rewarding as you can read from the comments we receive.
Our american breakfast at the price of 29Bs contains toasts with butter and jam, eggs, bacon, ham, juice (tetra pak), a tea or distilled coffee. We do offer also the fresh orange juice and the espresso coffee. However this is not included in this low price, as I am sure you understand.
I have to confirm that we do not use old goods. Everything is fresh. The bread, all products can't be old as I am verifying all this. Rules, especially related to quality, within the company have to be followed and all our employees know that. Therefore I have to say that I find it so strange to read that everything went wrong. I would be very pleased to speak to you if you are still around to understand better what has happened. As mentioned before, we are always open for improvement. Thank you and have a safe trip.

85% Recommend
Sucre
“Cheap, great food in the centre of Sucre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you're in the centre and you need somewhere to park, recoup and get some great desert of delicious food - you can't go far wrong.
The Sandiches are delicious, the ice-creams and cakes are excellent too. I was addicted to the cuñapes for several months : try at your own risk :D

Visited September 2013
Ystorms, Owner at Abis Cafe, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hahaha, I like your comment on the cuñapes. I have to say that we started to make the cuñapes when I was asked which food I like the best in Bolivia. "The Cuñape" of course. Since then it has always been a success. No one can resist the cuñape when it comes straight out the oven.
Be blessed brother.
Yves
“Great location, Good food at decent prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Pros: Located in the heart of the central plaza. Local and cozy vibe. Good variety on the menu. Prices are low compared to other places in the central plaza and average compared to other places nearby. The food is well prepared but simple.

Cons: The cheapest things on the menu (3 eggs) are not well prepared. Bread costs extra.

Summary: A good place to go for a cup of coffee or a snack. This is not a place to have a full meal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ystorms, Owner at Abis Cafe, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for the comments. Indeed we have a great location at the central plaza. Qualilty, service and higiene are very important within our business. We have another restaurant called Abis Patio where we serve more extended lunches and dinners. It is right across the SAS supermarket. We wish you a great trip and thank you for visiting us.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“The only real coffee we had in South America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came across this gem in the centre of Sucre, and what a pleasure it was...
Their coffee actually taste like European coffee (meaning very good!), their homemade ice cream was delicious, and the service was quick and always done with a smile.
Absolutely worth a visit!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ystorms, Propietario at Abis Cafe, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you, thank you. We are glad you enjoyed our coffee. We use the Bolivian beans and indeed they are excellent for the espresso's. I appreciate you mention that our employees are doing a great job. It makes me smile of happiness to read that because we are here to serve. I will tell them and they will be pleased. We spend a lot of times together to give the best of the team. Thank you for your nice comments. I wish you further a wonderful trip.
Sucre, Bolivia
“Great plaza-front”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The cafe is located exactly across the plaza at the center of the block so the view is amazing, specially in the afternoon when it gets very warm and sunny, this way i found out about their ice creams which i must say are spectacular specially the pistachio, the staff are very friendly and the overall feel of the place is very traditional, good WiFi also.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ystorms, Owner at Abis Cafe, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice comments you made on Abis Café. I am very glad you enjoyed our home-made ice-cream. Indeed, pistacho is one of our great flavors. Thank you for passing by and I wish you a great trip further on. Ciao