“very unfriendly staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
Linz, Austria
“very unfriendly staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After travelling several weeks through Bolivia this was the most unfriendly hostel we were staying in. I made a reservation for three nights in a triple room by telephone and told them that again at our arrival. Unfortunately I had no written confirmation and so they forced us to move out after two nights, pretending that we have just reserved for two nights and - again - being very rude!
The presentation on their homepage does not reflect reality at all!
We do not recommend to go to this place - there are plenty of hostels in Sucre where you can get something better for your money!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After looking at the website the hostel opener Roxanne seemed welcoming and friendly. When arriving the opposite was true, she was miserable, grumpy and very unhelpful. We were also promised 24 check in which is why we chose the hostel after getting a night bus from La Paz we just wanted to go to bed when we arrived. However we were told we had to wait until 12pm which felt like the longest few hours of waiting around. Despite this breakfast was good and the ladies who served it were very friendly. Beds were made every day and the room was cleaned. A social hostel with a common area outside and a TV room inside which is good for meeting other backpackers.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Nice hostel, the staff were friendly too. Private rooms were good, come with own bathroom. The communal area is quaint and the location is convenient too. Breakfast a bit simple, and no English but the staff find ways to communicate which is all part of it.

• Stayed July 2013
Wetteren, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Masi Wasi is a good place to spend your nights in Sucre. It's a very clean hostel located at about 5 minutes walk to the city centre. The rooms are spacious and in an eastern style, only the beds were a bit hard. The breakfast was basic but good, the staff was helpful but didn't speak any English. All in all it's very decent quality for your money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Having visited friends while they were staying in this hostel and really liking it, I decided to book a private room for a week while I was studying Spanish in Sucre. I booked my room, turned up at 10am and was told I couldn't check in until midday. This was fine. I hung around the in the garden for a couple of hours. When I went to check in at 12, the owner told me she had given my room to someone else, despite my reservation. I asked her why I was told to wait two hours until I could check in, only be to be told that there was no room, and she responded that she was too busy to deal with me at that moment. She was generally very rude to me and I also witnessed her being quite rude to other guests also.

It's a shame as the hostel is actually very nice - the rest of the staff are lovely, there is a nice garden and it's quite a social hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hostel for three nights. The rooms were fine. The mattress was on the floor, which was a bit strange, but it was comfortable. The shower always had hot water, which is a definite plus. There was not really any kitchen to use, but that seems to be how it goes in Bolivia. The location was good, we were able to walk to everywhere. One negative overshadows a lot of this for me, and that is the reception staff. First of all, they are never around, so we always had to ask the cleaning or kitchen staff to find them. Second, when you do have to interact with them they are incredibly rude and unhelpful. So like I said, a fine hostel with rude, absent staff.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for three weeks while attending Spanish School. Since we stayed for an extended period of time (15+ days), the owner gave us 12 Bolivianos off the room/night (we had to ask for a discount). We stayed in a matrimonial room and it wasclean with hot water. The rooms were also cleaned every day, beds made, and towels were provided. There is a cool courtyard in the middle and a rooftop terrace up top where you can socialize with other travelers. The kitchen is pretty small, but usable. It´s in a good location about 3-4 blocks from the main plaza. The only thing that I wasn´t too fond of was they would ask you to leave the courtyard at 10 PM even if you´re just sitting around talking. Other than that, I really liked the place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa de Huespedes Wasi Masi? Share your experiences!