“Lovely building, good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sucre
Grand Hotel
You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Anciento Arce 61, Town Center, Sucre, Bolivia   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Sucre
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely building, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This hotel is located in a lovely building with a beautiful courtyard and is in a very central location. Breakfast is not included but it is still very good value. I did not experience any problems with theft unlike some of the other reviewers.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Arequipa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed there for two nights just last week. It is a perfect location, the price is reasonable, and the courtyard truly lovely. We did not experience any problems with theft; however, we never use the hotel safe to secure our belongings.

There were two major faults with this hotel. As mentioned by another reviewer, the room was extremely damp - and while there was hot water, adjusting it was tricky and I struggled with it - either it was freezing cold or very, very hot. For this reason I would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

quite surprised to see all these messages about theft from the rooms. We did not have anything stolen, but then we are always careful : we did not leave anything at the hotel desk, locked our rucksack and daypack (when we left it in the room) with a padlock as we always do. So we did not notice any of the problems other people are talking about.

On the contrary, until I read all these negative comments, I considered this to be one of the best hotels of our trip and there should be no reason to change my mind. The hotel is pleasantly built around a courtyard, the rooms are tastefully decorated (rather than the standard drab white), our room was spacious (a double + single bed as well as a corner with a table and chairs) and clean, the personnel was very helpful and friendly and the price was a mere 16 EUR.

If there are any negative points I would say :
- bathroom without ventilation (as in many South American hotels), so you need to keep its door and the room window open)
- breakfast is not included and the one they do serve is not worth it (but there are several good places for breakfast on the nearby plaza).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2,062 reviews 2,062 reviews
1,092 helpful votes 1,092 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

First, we had a good experience with this hotel, the room was spacious and eventhough breakfast was not included we felt that it was decent value BUT there are serious problems in this hotel that make us not recommend it.
We were hapily visiting Sucre after leaving off our bags in the hotel, when we saw at the tourist office a complaint by what appeared to be a Bolivian lawyer about this hotel. He described in great detail how his labtop was robbed from the hotel, and that when in the police station, the staff accused the son of the owner of taking things from customers' rooms . We did not know what to think about this so we tried to be as careful as possible though we were kind of in disbelief how such a thing could happen. The next morning we were at the internet room that clearly states that no smoking is allowed and a girl was there smoking. We kindly asked her if she could stop and she not only refused to, but also claimed she was the daughter of the owner and thus could do whatever she wanted. Maybe the son thinks the same about the guests' possessions...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The courtyard is pretty and the rooms rather comfy BUT:
- I did not have any hot water, which is unacceptable given the hotel prices (even the most basic hostals in Sucre had wArm water)
- breakfast is not included and is ok, but not much for the price
- I also wondered whether money had been stolen from the cash deposit I made in the staff - as I am not 100% sure I shall not make accusations but reading other reviews I am not reassured
Conclusion: there are better places in Sucre. It did not stay at Hostal Sucre but for a similar price it appears to give better value.

• Stayed August 2010
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I have to say that i really liked this hotel, but......
First of all. The staff were incredibly friendly, the computers with free internet always worked when i was there, and my room and the shower were clean and good. Even comfortable and cosy i would say. The breakfast was fine, breakfast is not a big deal in Bolivia, but i just had some toast and eggs, and it came with a fruit shake and some coffee and was good enough for me.

But after reading the other review, I wanted to add mine because the following happened to me... I also put my passport & money in the safe. And i also counted it, and even wrote down for them on a piece paper what was exactly in it. And right before i left i got my moneybelt back. And 100 bolivianos was missing from it! Because that is only 10 euros, and i was in a hurry to catch the bus, i left it at that. But i felt very strange about the whole thing.....(the recepcionist said i must a have counted wrong when i put in there, but i am convinced i did not ofcourse). Especially because they seemed so carefull about the whole thing (writing it down, ductaping my moneybelt before they put it in the safe etc.)...
The hotel is at a perfect location though and has a beautifull courtyard, so make up your own mind...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Don't go there - you might think that you save some money as the rooms are ok-priced. But the reception staff are tricksters - they stole money from us which we had put in the safe at the reception before giving it back to us, pretending to help us counting it. Unfortunately, we realised it too late to be able to do anything about it. But we want to warn everybody: it's just not worth it. True, it is centrally located but so are other hotels. And the rooms around the pretty patio are not as pretty as one might expect, rather dark. Breakfast is ok but else the food in the restaurant is dismal, and the staff is completely useless. No service at all. The free internet service works only during the week and then only at certain hours. Should you stil want to go there: beware of thieves and the staff!!

• Stayed March 2010

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!