“Great location, comfortable, about avg.” 3 of 5 stars

HI-Hotel Jerusalem
Calle Oruro No: 143, Potosi, Bolivia   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Potosi
Chicago, IL
“Great location, comfortable, about avg.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Location: within 5-10 minutes of almost all major sights in Potosi, right near Internet cafes, small shops, etc.

Hotel staff: friendly, helpful, several speak pretty good English.

Rooms: a little dingy (think a few cracks in the wall, a worn-looking bathroom) but definitely acceptable by Bolivian standards. Rooms have gas wall heaters, so you won't be freezing at night in the winter. Rooms sit around a nice courtyard, most have a small sitting area with chairs and a table outside for relaxing with a drink. One thing to note is that the bathrooms are of the "the bathroom is also a shower" variety (i.e. there is no shower stall).

Other notes: I'd highly recommend not having your laundry done by the hotel, they badly stained several of my shirts and lost some of my other clothing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
La Paz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Avoid this hotel at all costs. I stayed in this hotel as part of a large group, and my tour leader warned me that previously people have had things stolen from the rooms (ipods, even tshirts!), and it is safer to leave everything in the safety deposit boxes.

However, when my tour leader removed his money from the safety deposit box the next morning, his money was in a different order, currencies were mixed up, and a $B200 note had been replaced with an obvious counterfeit (´bank of fortuna´ instead of Bank of Bolivia, wrong colour). The staff denied any involvement telling him he had the only key to the box - absolute rubbish. Reading down other reviews on this site, it looks like they definitely do this often...not safe in the street, not safe in the room, and not safe in the deposit boxes! Beware!

There´s also something living in the blankets...I woke up with bites (flea bites?) on my ankles both nights, and resorted to insect repellent the second night!! The hot and cold water in the shower didn´t mix (options: boiling hot or freezing cold...), there is no proper shower (just a shower head in the middle of the room), and there was a suspicious puddle of water from the toilet to the drain. I changed rooms twice...the door on my first room didn´t lock, and the heater in my second room didn´t work.

As others have mentioned...don´t be fooled by the pretty courtyard (it´s too freezing to sit in at all times of the day anyway). This place is horrible.

• Stayed July 2010

Travelers are raving about these Potosi hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

It wasn't the best hotel, but I didn't find it as bad as the reviews - the toilet door wouldn't shut, and the room was fairly dark, but we had an ok night's sleep - the staff were helpful, but couldn't speak any English (yes, I know we were in a Spanish-speaking country, but it would appear all the main tour groups use this hotel.........) There was no remote for the TV, and with over 50 channels (and the TV itself was so high on the wall, it was a challenge to reach it), channel-surfing was never going to happen. Breakfast was fine. The only other comment was that the staff were cleaning very early (4am) and with the tiled floor (and very squealy sliding door/gate) the echoing around the courtyard was amplified to the point of unacceptability.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

This hotel was booked as part of a tour. Before staying at the hotel, I read the trip advisor reviews and was so dismayed. I did not want to stay there. We tried to stay elsewhere for the 2 nights! But the hotel turned out to be just fine. We had a room on the fourth floor with was spacious, clean and sunny with a very large bathroom. The owners of the hotel were friendly and accommodating. The location is within 4 blocks of the main square. Breakfast was included and was simple delicious.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I have travelled around the world and stayed in all levels of accommodation and have never had as much distaste for a place as here. There is nothing redeeming about this hole. It is a cold, dark, dingy, place with frightening rooms. Beware of the jam bowl when you have breakfast in the morning. They have never cleaned it, they just add new jam to it when necessary. The edges of the bowl are festering with bacteria. The worst thing though is how they scam their guests. We were advised to put our belongings in the safety deposit box at the front desk as the city is not safe and a few people had been mugged there. I put my money belt in the safe while I went out for the night. When I got it back something seemed suspicious and it did not appear to be in the same sealed bag it was left in, however the guy did not let me open it, he did it himself from a distance. I immediately checked the contents in front of him. Passports were there and I recognized the front bill from the money pile (I had folded it a certain way) and did a quick count that the right number of bills were there. It wasn't until I was in Uyuni, 6 hours away by bus, that I discovered they had swaped out all the middle bills from my money stack with terrible counterfeit ones. I reported it to the police but have had little help and when confronted about it the hotel lies about the situation. This happened to at least 2 other people. One in the group I was travelling with and I met another in Chile when we were talking about Potosi and the exact same thing happened to her. They must do this a lot.

• Stayed March 2009
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We stayed in this hotel as it was booked as part of our tour. Judging by the Lonely Planet comments on it I expected it to be reasonable - it was awful. Our room was dark, freezing cold and unclean, to say the least. We requested a heater, as had the rest of our group, but unfortunately they had none left, so we were told there were plenty of blankets on our bed to keep us warm. When I did pull the blankets back on the bed I discovered numerous hairs - the sheets clearly hadn´t been changed from previous guests! Our bed was also partly balancing on bricks which toppled every time we turned during the night! The smell in our room was disgusting. It is outrageous that this place call themselves a hotel, but more importantly charge hotel room rates! We were also quoted 60 bolivianos for a small bag of washing which we thankfully refused. It subsequently cost us 25 bolivianoe in a launderette. These guys are completely ripping people off, DON´T STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2009
Groningen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

After reading the (relatively good) review in the Lonely Planet, we decided to book a room in hotel Jerusalem in Potosi. Allthough the entrance of the hotel looked nice, it totally did not live up to our expectations. The room was small, dark, dingy and, most of all, very noisy. There was a congierge in the hotel that constantly opened all the bathroom windows (we think as an alternative for ventilation), even though I was sitting on the toilet in that very same bathroom... The locks weren't good and all in all the hotel did not feel very safe. The only upsides to the hotel were the bed (old, broken down, but soft and warm) and the shower (enough hot water). We were happy to leave...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to HI-Hotel Jerusalem? Share your experiences!