“Not seen in its best light” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Arabian Tea House Cafe

Arabian Tea House Cafe
Bur Dubai, Al Fahidi R/A, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (Formerly Basta Art Cafe)
+971 4 353 5071
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #209 of 5,621 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Moroccan
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Alloa, United Kingdom
“Not seen in its best light”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The food was okay, but i feel we didnt get them at there best due to one of the worst stoms Dubai had had in years and the place being flooded. However there was a good selection on offer, even if some were slightly odd combinations

Visited November 2012

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Don't go here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Found it ok, recommended in Lonely planet guide as Basta Art Cafe but now changed its name. Service was slow and when food arrived it was dreadful. Arabic breakfast was scrambled eggs mixed with tinned tomatoes. Orange juice very pricey too.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mount Isa, Australia
“A welcome respite from the heat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I visited the cafe, which is now known as the Arabian Tea House Cafe, yesterday.

Unlike a number of previous posts, I found it very easy to find. Its not exactly on the roundabout, as Google and the national geographic maps show, but you can see it from there.

The food is very plain. My husband had the chef's salad and I had the beetroot and pear salad (which was iceburg lettuce, sliced canned beetroot, 6 thin pear slices, some tomato and some feta cheese, but for AUD$10, it was reasonable and there was a lot of it.

The bread they bring you out at the beginning is amazing and I highly recommend it.

Having read all of the reviews, I was eager to try the house special of the mint and lemon drink. I've been drinking a lot of mint and lemon tea drinks whilst in Dubai, so refreshing!, but this had an insane amount of mint in it, and I'm a mint fan. So unless you like copious amounts of mint, I'd order something else.

Apart from that, the atmosphere is fantastic. It was so nice to sit in the shaded courtyard, take a load off and just relax, which the layout really lends itself to.

It's a bit out of the way if you are not going to the Dubai Museum (which we were not), but nonetheless, I still recommend that you make the trip for a simple, yet filling lunch.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Doha, Qatar
“It is no longer there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My first visit to Basta Art Cafe was back in December 2009 on a solo trip, the mint lime drink was nice and breakfast was decent with very good ambiance.

Revisited the place last week with my wife and a friend (I strongly recommended it to them with my previous experience). The name is now changed to Arabian Tea House or something like that (I didn't bother much as I was disappointed after the breakfast). The set-up is still the same but artworks that used to be there have been removed.

It was almost 10 o'clock when I ordered the mint lime drink I was told there was no mint. Fine, I ordered the ice coffee and I swear this is the worst ever coffee I've had in many years, diluted with no coffee taste! I complained to the waitress and she was like "oh..." without even apologise! Breakfast was poor as well.

It's no longer the same. Don't bother to waste your time here when you visit Bastakiya. I am sure you can get better value and service somewhere else.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great little cafe - a fab choice for visitors to Dubai due to it's old Dubai courtyard location, proximity to the Museum and the creek and souqs (outdoor only though so best for the winter months. It has mainly Western style food with a local Arabic twist - amazing (and huge portions) salads, sandwiches, filled baked potatoes. REcommend the Morroccan Iced tea :-)

Visited March 2012