“View and Burj Fantastic, food average and costly” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #215 of 5,559 restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Description: Arabic for 'The Ultimate' or 'The Top', Al Muntaha is a restaurant that lives up to its name. See Dubai stretched out in all its glory from the 27th floor, where the stunning views are matched only by the sumptuous menu.Sit back and let us delight you from the first course to the last. Each dish blends the best ingredients with innovation and style, resulting in a showcase of imaginative Modern European cuisine. Combined with the incredible location, it all comes together to create a dining experience fit for the top of the world.
Gold Coast City
“View and Burj Fantastic, food average and costly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having spent a lot of time in the UAE, and previously enjoyed a stay at Burj Al Arab, I knew its outlets expensive. Over the NY I was showing my elderly Mum around and took her to Al Muntaha so she could experience both the Burj interior and Gulf views. The arrival at Al Qasr was great with an abra ride along the Jumeirah canal, then to be met by a buggy for causeway transfer to the Burj. We were greeted in the foyer and sent in the right direction. It was good to see after 10 years the interior of the landmark Burj is holding its wow factor as I had thought the surreal gaudy interior would date quickly. The glass lift ride to the top is part of the experience and we were greeted on arrival although the reception seemed a bit overwhelmed by a group of pushy chinese who arrived early, and at the same time as us. We were shown to the bar and a lovely Italian hostess took our cocktail order. She was knowledgeable, attentive, engaging, friendly and in our visit, the highlight of the staff. Shortly after we were shown to our table. We ordered a bottle of NV champagne from the list before opting for the business lunch comprising a choice of entree, main and dessert. We selected matching wines by the glass. The meals were served in a timely fashion and well presented, however were lesser quality than to be expected for a supposedly signature outlet in the much heralded Burj. None of us ate all our main courses (fish) which was overcooked and rubbery. Both desert offerings were had variously and although snappy looking, lacked flavour or substance. Apart from the fish, there was nothing wrong with the meals, they were just ordinary and even just a week later, I cannot remember what the entree was. One gripe is the venue not offering water unless diners purchase it by the bottle at 50 Dhs a go for the same thing that can be bought for 3 Dhs in the local store. Dubai has world's best practice cleaned and treated desalinated water which is perfectly safe to drink. Not to offer plain water is just opportunistic gouging and a practice I see spreading more widely and Trip Advisor is one of the sites where consumers have an opportunity to push-back and let operators know it is unacceptable and plain greedy. We finished with coffee which was unremarkable. Overall the wait-employees were functionary and disengaged. I cannot say whether this was lack of cultural sophistication, whether they were just too busy, or they have been directed to remain detached from interaction with diners, but a little more small talk or explaining the menu and options would go a long way. At the end of the day we got what we went for - to show off the Burj, and see a sunny day Gulf view. At over AUD/US$730 for lunch for 3, I couldn't see punters who are foodies would go here more than once in a lifetime, or on really special occasions for a silver service Burj experience as the tucker quality and cost have no relationship. The Burj is just one of a growing list of gleaming examples of how the Emeratis have turned a meager oil supply into a great self-fulfilling tourism product. You need to book months out, pay overt prices and to some extent they dictate when you can come. They must be congratulated for this and how they have transformed their small town into the world's most amazing new city, but it wouldn't kill them just to ensure the bang goes with the buck and deliver the word 'fine' ahead of the word 'dining' at the prices they command.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin
“More relaxed than we expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a set lunch at the Al Muntaha restaurant for 500AED each. This price did not include drink but the food was excellent and the staff very friendly and attentive.

Tacoma, Washington
“Simply amazing - Al Muntaha Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I primarily went to Burj Al Arab for dinner at the Al Muntaha restaurant (27th floor) to try the seven course degustation menu (810 dhs). The selection of the ment items was stunning in presentation and delicious in refined taste. There was an abundance of wait staff to assist anyone for anything, I felt like I had my own waiter. The atmosphere and view was spectacular as well. Simply perfect. The staff (hosts and wait) are very nice and courteous. A+++. I wish I stayed longer and tried out the other restaurants within.

Of course prior to my reservation, I did check out the premise and took many memorable pictures. Indoor, outdoor are all spectacular.

Lisbon, Portugal
“The great brunch ever...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

After comparing different options to visit Burj al arab (tea, brunch or dinner) tea was the most obvious because of the expensive prices but.... I am so happy that the group decided to pay the double and go for the brunch in the 1st of January 2013 at the al muntaha! We went at 14:30 h which turned to be a great time for brunch-lunch and we were able to go to the top and visit properly the public areas of the hotel and even experience the fast panoramic lift....
The place and decoration is nice, the view is amazing but if I would have to choose the best, it would be the food.... All great confection and diversity.... Some e.g..... Seafood of all types, Thaí and oriental warm dishes, caviar, all types of deserts and pastry, cheese, japanese station.... You name it, you will find it. The service is great as expected....
You need to reserve it in advance and you can do it very easily by email even before you travel....
After, we walked at sunset time and took great pictures.... Went to the mall and took the night pictures of Burj al arab...

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Al Muntaha Modern European Restaurant - Be careful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a little difficult to write as I have many mixed emotions regarding this restaurant which is on the 27th floor of a magnificent hotel. I originally got engaged to my wife here some 12 years ago. So it’s a special place.
However on our 10th wedding anniversary this year we booked again for a romantic meal. We had requested a table by one of the ends of the restaurant. You need to do this in order to get the best views. We had a great table. The food however was distinctly average and so pricey. Much more than I had remembered. OK you do expect this in a hotel of this stature but I was shocked at the relative quality for the money. Not bad but not outstanding, if you get my drift. We have been fortunate to eat at many outstanding restaurants and whilst cost is always a consideration, it’s not an issue when trying something superlative. Service was good. But given we were at a key table we had many people come over for photo’s - and one table strategically positioned looking at us - so they could indeed see the view. For us however it felt like we were on view ourselves. Difficult when you want romance. For the price I would not go again - but as I said it’s a difficult one as I suggest most people would at least want one visit - just to see the views!

• Visited September 2012