“Great Hotel!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Dubai Festival City

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Dubai Festival City to your Saves list
InterContinental Dubai Festival City
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Umm Ramool Rd | Dubai Festival City, Dubai 45777, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #29 of 475 hotels in Dubai
Canada
“Great Hotel!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days in Feb 2008. The hotel is close to the airport which was great when we arrived. The staff was very attentive and immediately upgraded us to a deluxe room. The rooms are ultra modern and very comfortable.

This hotel is attached to a great mall with a food court and good shopping so that was a bonus! Great shopping and a mix of fast food and sit down restaurants to eat at.

The breakfast buffet is absolutely amazing and a great way to kick start the day. The selection was amazing and well worth it.

I would suggest catching a cab from the shopping centre rather than the hotel as they are hotel cabs therefore have an extra surcharge. The hotel is about 25mins away from jumeira beach and mall of the emirates so wasn't too bad but not ideally located.

All in all, an excellent hotel to stay at with great service.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

The style, elegance and service found in this hotel are quite exceptional. The staff made every effort, in a friendly and charming way, to make us enjoy each aspect of our stay. We loved our room which was well designed with sleek lines and carefully chosen pieces of art and sculpture along with elegant furniture and heavenly bedding.
Sitting in the bar, overlooking the water with a delicious cocktail and that special Dubai balmy air was magical.

Although we only ate breakfast in the hotel, we would be happy to come back to any of the restaurants on another visit. The hotel tea is delicious, especially the herbal ones.

The outdoor area was beautiful with a pool which was large enough to allow us to swim proper lengths and freshly laundered sheets and towels in abundance.

• Liked — Clean chic style
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

I just stayed here at this hotel this past week for three nights and then a day later for one night. I was there originally for a conference and then for a lay-over night as my flight came back to Dubai in the evening and my next flight wasn't until the next morning. Anyway, the hotel itself is great. The rooms are really large, everything is still very new and the location is convenient to the airport.

Most positive aspects:

-well designed room
-comfortable bed
-spacious bathroom with separate WC
-great pool area with infinity pool
-amazing gym with modern equipment and Technogym Kinesis machines
-10 minutes from airport
-amazing breakfast buffet
-connection to a mall in case you need anything

Most negative aspects:

-you still are charged for internet (ethernet or wLAN)
-far from town center
-ridiculous pricing
-poor service (too many staff members with really poor English)
-inefficient when it comes to taxis (only have their own cars and you hardly ever see local taxis queuing up
-over-priced restaurants
-poor views from rooms

So why did I only give two stars. Well this is based on my check-in experience. When you check in, they authorize your credit card. In my case, they tried to book 6000 Dirhams on to my card. They said it didn't go through (they tried twice on the evening I checked in!) Next day I received a message stating that I needed to have a credit card authorized. At the same time, I was registering for the conference I was attending and was informed my credit card was over the limit, which I knew couldn't be the case since I have a high limit. Anyway, what they did was book the 6000 twice on to my card, pushing my card over the limit. My credit card company informed me of this. When I told the reception this, they claimed they didn't do anything and refused to admit to any mistake and also claimed to have no record of anything being booked on my card. Without their bank removing these two authorization bookings, my card would have been blocked for ten days, which is the amount of time it takes for such an authorization to expire. After extensive arguing with multiple people at reception I finally was able to get a manager involved who did help me resolve the issue (still took two days) and my card was blocked the whole time. Further, I was unable to attend the conference I was in town for. I am quite disappointed how the hotel handled this, causing me to basically resolve the problem myself with extensive time lost on my part and costs incurred calling my credit card company. All I was given as an excuse for this was a dinner in one of the restaurants. No upgrade, no reduction in room rate.....just a dinner. Basically, the hotel cost me approximately 3 to 4 thousand dollars via this mistake due to travel and hotel costs plus time lost. They also took a long time to resolve the problem they caused and initially spent a long time claiming they didn't do anything wrong. Very upsetting to me and super poor service on their part. To top it all off, the manager who helped to resolve my problem told me they were at other times having problems with their credit card systems and the bank on the back-end.

To make things worse, I had to come back to the place since I had a room booked on my return trip from Kuwait via Dubai. When I checked in the second time, I had a higher rate for the room and they weren't willing to give me the conference rate I had the beginning of the week which was significantly cheaper.

Long story short, I will never go to this nor any other Intercontinental hotel. I've had problems in the past with Intercontinentals (read other reviews from me) and should have avoided them this time.....my mistake! Unfortunately the conference was taking place at the hotel and any other hotel would have been too inconvenient.

It's just not worth it. This line of hotels consistently disappoints and won't ever get any further business from me even though they often have really nice properties.

• Liked — Pool area and gym
  • Disliked — Major screw-up when checking in
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Came here after two nights in Crowne Plaza. All my comments regardiing its location apply here. I don't propose to repeat beyond saying the position of hotel is not ideal for either business or beach users.

Rooms were magnificent. Spotless. The cleaner did a superb job. My one reservation was the shower which is in the bathroom. I have not experienced one like this before. The water from the shower goes straight onto the floor and drains away as the bathroom slopes to the corner ever so slightly. I've no doubt I'm not explaining myself particularly well, but email me if you want a better description.

Enjoyed the breakfast and Lebanese restaurant. Pool was closed so didn't get to sample it, but the quality and the cleanliness of the room made up for the minor issues that I had.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Location and shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
abu dhabi, united arab emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

Our stay was great - a special rate for a 2 bedroom suite we probably won't be able to get again for their summer promotion. I was impressed with their breakfast. They have a fruit smoothie bar where you pick which fruits and they blend it for you right there, waffle bar, japanese and arab breakfast plus the usuals such as omlettes special made, eggs, pastries. Connected to Festival City shopping mall which was nice and we could grab a bite in the mall to bring back to the room. The only problem we had was the check in. The summer promotion included a late check out and they didn't tell us to come 2 hours later. At 3 pm we didn't have the prospect of going to our room until 5pm. After complaining to the manager, they seemed to find one and then it wasn't the right beds for our family of 5. So we had to change to another one which the magically pulled out of their pocket. Once we got there it was nice, though. One bedroom with double beds, another with a King and a really large living area with dining table, 3 bathrooms and a small kitchentte which we didn't even us since we were in the shopping mall most of the time. If they have this rate again I'll stay here but otherwise I will book 2 connecting rooms in Crowne Plaza Festival City.

• Liked — festival city connection
  • Disliked — check in
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
abu dhabi, united arab emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

I'm sitting here in the Intercontinental right now in a 2 bedroom suite. Really lovely room and got a great rate on it for the summer. The only problem we had was that when it was time for check-in at 3pm they said we didn't have a room even though we asked for early check-in. The excuse was that everyone had a late check out from the promotion that was going on. O.k. then please tell us to come late. But even after that they found us a room, which we had to change because it wasn't the King and two beds that I had requested but rather two queens which did not accomodate my family of five. Upon finding the correct room it is really, really nice. As high tech as the top hotels we just returned from in New York. Connected directly to festival city so you don't have to go outside. Breakfast was really, really busy and didn't really enjoy it, but I think it's because their promotion was so good everyone was here. I like it alot and will definetly book a 2 bedroom suite if they have another promotion - otherwise too expensive. I will book two rooms otherwise.

• Liked — attached to festival city shopping
  • Disliked — check in
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I'll keep this short and sweet: the Intercontinental Festival City is excellent. Friendly staff (with an unusually high Far East presence for Dubai), rooms of a high standard, great bathrooms, good and very varied food in the main and French restaurants, and a two wonderful swimming pools. One of which, with its several storey overhang, is not for those afraid of heights. The other is a proper lap pool. (Note that these facilities are shared with the Crowne Plaza next door).

It's not "the best hotel I've ever stayed in", but it's very good for a business hotel. Much better than many other hotels in Dubai; I'd expect the prices to rise as once it moves from soft launch phase.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to InterContinental Dubai Festival City? Share your experiences!