“Stylish and Comfy - Good alternative to large Dubai hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vida Downtown Dubai

You added Vida Downtown Dubai to your Saves list
Vida Downtown Dubai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mohammed Bin Rashid Boulevard, The Old Town | Downtown Dubai, Dubai 114788, United Arab Emirates   |
Special Price
Save AED 100
Ranked #29 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Vancouver, Canada
“Stylish and Comfy - Good alternative to large Dubai hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

In the land of bigger is better, it was very nice to find the Vida Hotel. Unlike most hotels in Dubai, the Vida hotel is smaller and places attention on details.

The staff at the VIDA hotels is very nice and helpful and the decor is probably the best part of this hotel. It is very modern and very stylish. The standard rooms are small, but there are still functional. And there are quite a few common areas that can be used by guests to lounge around.

The restaurants affiliated with this hotel are excellent. You can go to La Serre Bakery for a healthy lunch and definitely take advantage of the breakfast buffet. While some hotels provide large quantity of average food, Vida's buffet is smaller, but everything is delicious and presented in a way that will make you want to come back. From freshly pressed juices to a la carte main courses, the breakfast will definitely get your day off to a good start.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Daniel K, Manager at Vida Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hi Kate B,

Thanks for the review, we were delighted to hear you enjoyed your time in our little urban oasis and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Daniel Kingston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel was beautiful, modern, young and very well kept. The place was immaculate at every moment. There was a very nice smell in the lobby. My girlfriend commented everytime we walked in our out that she loved it. The staff was very approachable and friendly. I am not sure if I just got a good deal for the moment when I booked but was extremeylreasonable for the location and the hotel. In December when it's cooler it's in walking distance from all the downtown venues. It was professional, clean, beautiful, fun, young and many more things. I reccomend this hotel for youngsters who are into art, technology, fashion and other things in that realm. It had a good Dj in the pool, the pool was very beautiful. I didn't try the food there as none of it seemed to appeal to me. Just for me was not my kind of food. The whole place was clean and wonderful and bright.

Now, for my chief complaint. There was too much reliance in technology here. It's why I rated it four stars and not five. When I first checked in, I thought, how nice this iPad thing. Then halfway through it, I felt like I would rather be doing the standard checkin at the desk. Then there is the issue about ordering everything from the TV. It's fine if you want a standard meal and a coke, or whatever. But in my case, I wanted some Proseco from the bar, some little treats from the bar as well like olives and such. You can't order this from the TV. So I called. I was the Hotel didn't have Proseco and I couldn't order it. So I went back down to the bar and ordered it and brang to my room. I wanted some salt. I called the desk to get some, but was told I had to order it from the TV or they didn't have it. Salt? How can I order salt on the TV? So, let's speak about this TV... So many times I wanted a bottle of simple water, I picked up the remote to "order" and the user interface with this TV is so poor that I gave up. I just went down and asked the front desk because I learned calling on the phone for anything was just futile. "Order it from the TV" is all I heard. I gave up.

Vida, listen to me. Your reliance on technology in the room and check-in slightly ruined my view of the Vida Downtwon Hotel and will keep me from coming back if there are better deals. So, try to get back to basics at least on this matter. Instruct your conciegre and front desk to be able to handle request by phone as well.

Room Tip: Pay up and get a pool view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi TopSecretAdam,

Thanks for the great review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the overall experience.

My apologies for the challenges with the technology, we certainly don't want to lose the human element and your comments have been shared with the team and rest assured will be fixed.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vida Downtown and providing you with a five star experience.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We only stayed one night and my only real complaint about the Vida *is* that we only stayed one night! Given our short time in Dubai, we didn't eat at the Vida or hang out at the pool, but here's all the wonderful tidbits about the Vida that we did enjoy:

The hotel: It's been redone as a boutique hotel and when you check in they ask you to sit in the lobby while they bring you drinks and check you in on an iPad...which can take a little longer than the traditional check-in process. I know some travelers are often in a hurry to get to their rooms or to head out an explore, and could find this time hanging out in the lobby a bit frustrating - but I thought it was relaxing! The drinks were lovely and the staff was friendly.

The location: it's fantastic - an easy walk to the Burj Park and Dubai Mall, where you can access the metro or the Big Bus tour. Plenty of places to eat across the street and there's a grocery store about two blocks away by the Ramada.

The room: the bed is heaven! Seriously, I'd stay again just to sleep in the beds (and if I could some how steal one, I would). You can access everything you'd ever want to on the TV - the internet, facts about the hotel, international channels, ect. There was free water in the mini-fridge (delightful when heading out into the Dubai heat) and chocolates on our pillows when we returned in the evening.

My only concern about the rooms was the lack of bathroom privacy - if you would be sharing the room with someone other than your partner. The bathtub is separated from the bed by a see-through wall...and while the shower and toilet are both behind opaque doors, the doors don't shut securely. Not a problem for me - as I was traveling with my husband - but I would be uncomfortable if I wasn't with him or a close friend.

Overall, we had an excellent stay at the Vida and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again or to recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel K, Manager at Vida Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi NOnionsXPickles,

Thank you for the fabulous review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it's just a shame it wasn't for a little longer.

Make sure you let us know when you are thinking of returning, our beds are waiting (not to be stolen!).

Cheltenham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

This used to be a great little hotel in downtown, with great rooms, fabulous service and a wonderful character, including an evocative smell of sandalwood. It's now a characterless experience of style over substance. It used to take 5 mins to check in, now I was presented with a high tech iPad check in that took ages. The floors and rooms are more Northern Europe than Middle East including ghastly fake brick wallpaper. The service is much worse and much more impersonal - style over substance again. The pool area is nice, but it was nice before, and why they changed the waterfall for a bar i will never know. Tonight there is no-one serving. The wifi is more difficult, and the rooms look cheaper. Over the last 3 years I've put colleagues and family up here and recommended widely. I'm on the search again as this is the worst possible ruin of a beautiful hotel. I'll be checking out for the last time tomorrow from this hotel

• Stayed September 2013
Daniel K, Manager at Vida Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Fulhamrob,

Thank you for your recent review and the time taken to provide us with your feedback, we always appreciate hearing from our guests as it is one of the key ways in which the hotel can improve on the level of service that we provide. I was very disappointed to hear that on this occasion, we did not deliver.

We are very proud of the new design of the hotel and were sorry to hear you were not a fan, however I was more concerned regarding your comments about the service levels you experienced. We set very high standards on the level of service that we provide and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these in more detail, if you could please contact me on dkingston@vida-hotels.com.

Please let me know when you are thinking of returning to Downtown, as we would love to have you back again and show to you that what you experienced was an exception and certainly not the norm at Vida Downtown.

Thank you again for your review.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had a great time at the Vida Hotel. We were looking for a nice hotel which was walking distance to Dubai Mall and other markets, and Vida was the perfect place. The hotels design, interior, ambience and staff were amazing. All hotel staff were welcoming, helpful and understanding. We stayed for 6 days and on the 4th, we came back to a room with ants in the bed. When we informed reception, they immediately transferred us to another room, without hesitation. They offered a small token for the inconvenience.

Check in / out was smooth with no hassles.

The hotel is around 10 mins walking to Dubai Mall, 7 mins to Souk Al Bahar and 5 mins to Souk Al Manzel (Spinneys available at Manzel). Lovely location if you don't like to take the roller-coaster/motion-sickness infamously smelly Dubai taxis. It's located on the Boulevard, so many cafes and restaurants and the Burj Khalifa is minutes away.
The La Selles restaurant is attached to the hotel and lovely food, they were also very nice and accommodating.
The pool is quite small, but they have lovely cabins for chillaxing.

A very nice hotel and hope for many returns.
FYI, if breakfast is not included in your booking, ask at the reception - it's cheaper than walking into the restaurant.

Room Tip: Garden view room had a small balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Daniel K, Manager at Vida Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Bader19,

Thank you for your review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for the unexpected visitors, however we have already taken action on that, however I was pleased to hear that the team took care of the situation for you.

Thanks again and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Vida on your next visit to Dubai.

Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The old Qamardeen has had the most fabulous renovation. Décor is ultra modern in white and neutrals and the staff look like fashion models. All are supremely courteous and efficient. The pool area is gorgeous and the restaurant, which overlooks it, serves excellent food, beautifully presented. The breakfast buffet is a real treat both in choice and in presentation. A lot of attention has been paid to style throughout the hotel and to attracting the kind of clientele who appreciate a very different take on Dubai. I love the room layout (which hasn't changed much) and appreciate the open plan bath area as well as the freshness of the décor. The beds are sumptuous and the linen high quality, giving a luxurious feel. I also loved the lighting with many options for ambience or work. Location is perfect, close to Dubai Mall for the fountains etc, and there are many new restaurants springing up in this developing area. The rates are currently similar to before but are sure to go up once the clientele is re-established. Take advantage!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, just a question of view. If you're a first time visitor its worth paying for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hi Sue E,

Thanks for the wonderful review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the new "look".

Please let us know when you are thinking of returning, as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My experience was fairly hotel compare to Dubai hotels like address -grand Hayat -jumira hotels

The best thing I can advice during winter time is the location although the price was little high compare to other Hilton

They should include breakfast with the stay plus they should include free transport to Dubai mall

The room service was very bad on my arrival even though I informed the front desk it was not up to my stander

I would not recommend to stay at this hotel again

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Daniel K, Manager at Vida Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Hisham A,

Thank you for your recent review, we were pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however were concerned by some of the challenges you faced.

The hotel does include breakfast on many of our rates, please just check out our website directy for the best deals. We also provide a complimentary shuttle service to Dubai Mall as well as some other areas in Dubai, my apologies that this was not communicated to you during your stay.

In regards to your comments about Room Service, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss these further, if you would like to contact me directly on dkingston@vida-hotels.com.

Thank you again for your time, and I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vida Downtown.

Daniel Kingston

Been to Vida Downtown Dubai? Share your experiences!