“A Place for Sharp and Smart People” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 5,610 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Japanese, Mediterranean, Contemporary, International
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Set within the JW Marriott Marquis, the world's tallest hotel in the heart of Downtown Dubai, GQ BAR is a sophisticated restaurant and lounge that combines stylish interiors, upbeat music and a delectable food menu with an innovative cocktail list.
Miami Beach, Florida
“A Place for Sharp and Smart People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Gentlemen’s Quarterly. I remember it from my youth when my dapper older brother would go through it each month to learn about the latest trends in style and fashion that would often find their way into his wardrobe. When I began reading I also remember the GQ don’ts such as never wear a matching pocket square and tie. GQ is a magazine for men about the best in fashion, personal style and taste. This icon of uber style, a refined palate, and sex appeal has manifested itself in a new expression of taste in the GQ Bar Dubai, where I spent a spectacular evening in a stylish ambiance, enjoying cocktails, and an exquisite dining experience.

The newly opened GQ Bar Dubai is not just a bar or restaurant; it is an experience. From the moment you enter past the flaming candle feature at the door you know you are in a special place. It is dark and sexy with larger than life GQ magazine feature photos at the entrance and the magazine’s brand tastefully placed about the venue. The hosts were hired for their model appearance as well as their hospitality and with a smile escort you inside. You’ll then enter the GQ Bar which is masterfully set up with lounge seating where sexy couples and groups of friends share cocktails and conversation. The vibe is perfect for Dubai but could easily be transplanted in New York’s Meatpacking District or London’s Warf. Upstairs there’s more space for additional guest or for a corporate function. There is also a huge outdoor terrace. Edgy up tempo lounge music played by the DJ further adds to the sexy vibe.

The drink menu changes every month and they employ wizards from the farthest reaches of the world to concoct new and tasty elixirs. A word to the wise, let them do their thing and bring you’re the beverage they’d recommend. Chances are you’ll be delighted you did. They’ll ask your cocktail preferences such as fruity, citrus, or sweet drinks, bourbons or vodkas. For me, it was a tossup between the Thyme Will Tell which was Campari, agave syrup and pomegranate juice, shaken with fresh lime juice and a thyme sprig, topped with Valdo Prosecco or the Crime of Passion which is Grey Goose le poire vodka, fresh passion fruit juice and fresh lemon juice, topped with Valdo Prosecco. I went with the Crime of passion and was glad that I did. After a cocktail in the lounge, my wife and I went for dinner on the dining side of the establishment.

Our waiter Maxim was more of a dining consultant than a waiter. He was funny, very knowledgeable and had worked at some of the best restaurants in Dubai before coming to the GQ Bar. In between the humor and conversation, he really wanted to make sure that our evening was a special one. He talked about the intricacies of the menu asking about preferences and making recommendations. Before the end of the night, we found that he was truly a culinary expert and each of his recommendations were spot on for us.

GQ is about style and taste and they blur the line of food as art and art as food with each dish. The presentation of every dish was only surpassed by the taste of the food itself. For the starter, we went with the sushi. They have an extensive sushi offering with a wide variety of imaginative and tasty creations. We went with some of their specialties including the ‘Shredded King crab roll, ‘'BBQ Eel and Avocado, 'Calamari and Leek roll, they were imaginative, flavorful, and a fantastic way to begin the meal.

For the main course, my wife chose the rosemary seasoned rack of lamb with date and orange cream couscous with dried fruits and pine nuts. The garlic and thyme mash potatoes were an excellent compliment. Kudos to the chef and staff for creating this masterpiece.

After a discussion with our dining consultant Maxim, I opted for the Grilled Wagyu beef rib eye with crushed garlic thyme potatoes. The taste was beyond words so suffice it to say that it was fantastic. Each bite was juicy, full of flavor and incredibly delicious. The meal must have been prepared by culinary warlocks casting spells in order to prepare a dish that could taste this good.

And to bring the meal to a close, we both chose sweet endings. With a visual braggadocio in the presentations, we experienced the Orange and vanilla creme brûlée . It was as much a work of art as is it was a dessert. Same held true for my choice, the Valrhona chocolate fondant. It was one of those dishes that we were slow to finish as we savored each morsel.

The GQ Bar is a fantastic place to meet up with friends for cocktails and conversation as well as a place for dinner. It is dining pleasure with a sexy ambiance, passionate service, and scrumptious dishes with a presentation that is nothing less than art. I can’t imagine a better venue for a date or to celebrate an anniversary. It’s also a great venue to go with friends, host an event or while traveling to bend the elbow with locals or fellow jet setters.

• Visited May 2014
Dear Glenn,

Thank you very much for your “A Place for Sharp and Smart People”

As we are working very closely with the Condé Nast International team (who developed GQ Bar brand), we ensure the venue incorporates as many elements from the GQ Magazine as it possibly can: style, fashion, design, elegance, quality and substance. We are glad you felt the spirit of your favourite magazine!

Our culinary, mixologist and service teams are working hand in hand to deliver the best possible experience to our guests, we feel rewarded you loved your time at GQ Bar and truly hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Culinary experience like no other!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

GQ Bar is centrally located and convenient, to add to that the food is brilliant and the ambience is spot on, great place to meet the cream of the crowd. If you looking for a midweek night cap, this is the place for you.

• Visited May 2014
Dear Tamara,

Thank you very much for taking some time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

The team and I are glad you loved the experience and trust we will see you back very soon.

“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Hi. I would like to share my GQ's dinning experience with you. I went there in a Sushi Sunday and I was surprised with the quality of sushi and sashimi presented. It was a delicious meal! Go to GQ and taste this treat!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Rita,

Thank you very much for you review following your recent dining experience at the GQ Bar Dubai.

Our Japanese-trained sushi chef prides himself to craft some of the best (if not the best) sushi Dubai has to offer. From the produce selection to the plate presentation, all elements are given such attention that the end result is simply pure culinary pleasure and harmony.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“GQ Bar: where sushi dreams come true!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was surprised to realize what amazing sushi could do to Spirit, and do it better than any other spirit: giving it a big lift without the actual handover effect.

Seriously, where you guys in the kitchen come from I have no clue but where you are heading this I can tell: winning a huge respect from all top quality sushi lovers around, so keep going!

And the good news is that GQ will remain open for business all summer long I heard, so happy days ahead for those like me who have to spend the summer under the heat of Dubai…

Pierrot

• 5 of 5 stars Food
GQ-BAR-DUBAI, General Manager at GQ Bar, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Pierrot,

Thank you very much for your “GQ Bar: where sushi dreams come true!” review following your recent visit.

Our vision at GQ Bar is to offer our guests only the best; knowing that we are also contributing to make dreams come true is a great thing and will ensure the whole team keeps heading into this direction.

During the summer, make GQ Bar Dubai yours as our Sushi Sunday promotion, among others, are on indeed. More details are available on your favorite social media platforms.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
“A great bar with an even greater restaurant!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Yet another visit to Dubai for yet another global sales mission. Well, this time at least (I should say "at last"), the company Partners made a point to take us out of our DIFC “comfort zone”.

Heading from their DIFC office to JW Marriott Marquis (where the GQ Bar is located) was only a 3-minute ride, the tunnel under the Downtown crossing being a big time-saver.

One thing we immediately loved about the venue is that it is a great escape from the football cup so-called “excitement”…not sure this is related or if we were just lucky but the lady/male ratio on that night was perfect!

After few drinks at the bar (Thank you Marcus, you are a genius!), we headed up to the dining room. To be honest at that point I was a bit reluctant as bar food is usually not my thing (even if the food I saw being served in the lounge looked pretty good!). After reading through the restaurant menu, I knew I was going to have a proper meal, which actually turned out to be top notch, the best meal I had for years in Dubai!!! I think calling this place “bar” does not fully reflect what’s in there: a great restaurant! Food for thoughts Mr. GQ!

Another key highlight of the evening was the staff, great bunch of stylish, efficient and friendly people! I think I found my new dining/eating comfort zone in town, will definitely be all back soon!

Dear Hermes,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent dining experience at GQ Bar Dubai.

The team and I were very happy to read you found in GQ Bar your “new dining comfort zone”; offering you the best meal you had in years in Dubai means a lot to us too as the restaurant component of the venue has been since day one of our main focus.

We hope your global sales mission was fruitful and are looking forward to have you and your colleagues back very soon.

In the meantime, in case I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.