“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

After reading several reviews, I was bit confused and irritated. I enter the area with a mixed feeling. A warm welcome, stay in a room with 3 guys and a nice area. You can see the airport and a mall is a couple of min away. Taking the metro to stadion and only walk few min. Nice breakfast, central hostel and pretty area. Overall, I will choose this hostel again!

Room Tip: I think, all rooms are similar.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

For the price it's actually pretty good. You get a clean bed, towel, ensuite bathroom, in room fridge, and a good selection of products for breakfast, although it's only served between 7am - 9am. There's also a swimming pool, and the hostel run a few trips. It is only a few minutes walk to the metro which takes you to the airport, and all over the city. A supermarket and food court is located next to the metro station. They don't however offer free wifi, (or lockers) which is rather odd. Another thing I didn't like, was the fact that they take and hold your passport for the full duration of your stay. Your passport is held behind the desk which is left unattended at times. I found a note sitting on the desk several times stating ''Back in 15mins''. I also witness the 20mins it took to find an Australian lads passport. Needless to say it caused quite a stir with the lad involved. But all in all, I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

AED120 per bed in a dorm room. Four to a room. Attached bath. Fridge. No a/c so suspect summer will be sweltering. Breakfast is eggs, sausages, fuul, cheese, etc.

5 minutes from Stadium Metro, local supermarket, bus stop.

WARNING: If you buy duty free at DXB, pack it into your luggage out of sight. One cannot carry alcohol on the metro and there is a AED200 fine. In my case I was ejected and had to take an AED50 taxi which cut into the duty free savings.

Hostel roommates are always a crap shoot but I think the odds here are short. On second night this Indian entered the room and wanted my bed though all my stuff was already on the bed. He said he was there two nights ago so should have the sane bed again. (!?). Gee by that reasoning I could say I was there a year ago and can kick anyone out of his bed. Eventually he moved beds. Thankfully checked out next day.

I suspect he is a migrant worker who comes in only to have a shower and saves money by sleeping rough alternate nights. Room and bathroom were also a mess after he used them. Lots of them at breakfast.

Summary: would probably return but only if it were a private room. Would not want to risk another Indian encounter.

• Stayed January 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This place is not well run. Sure, you get your bed and shower, but its sad that a YHA facility is on such low standard. I guess a cheap hotel would do much better. Its not clean and the location is also not good (even if you want to stay near airport). the personnel just do their job.

Nice Breakfast is until 9, however, don't expect much food left after 8:30.

By metro, take red line to Union and change to station ,Stadium' on red line. from there, its a 5 min walk direction metro train came from.

Location, quite far away of almost everything (except Deira, Bur Dubai)

By taxi it's 40 Dirhams.

Not possible to walk to airport, no access by public transportation to terminal 2.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I visited YHA Dubai last week for one night. It's not a very nice place to stay, but if you are looking for just a bed and a quick sleep, give it a go. The guy at the front office isn't really born for working in a hostel. Hostels should be your home away from home and this hostel isn't really like that.

Besides that they charge you 3 euros per day for Wifi, which I think is kind of crazy, as internet is always for free, at least in the hotels/hostels that I've visited the past 5 years.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Muscat, Oman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had booked the hotel through web site 'Easytobook.com" and had received confirmation. When we reached the hostel, we were made to wait for 30 minutes as the person who saw us coming (the only one on desk) went away for prayers. Person outside the desk-duty explained he can do this as our checking time is 2 PM while it is still 12.30 PM. In the meantime he gave us one handwritten paper and told us to check whether our names exist, showing what was to come by. Obviously our names did not figure. When the person on desk-duty returned, he made us wait further for 15 minutes or so, we seeing back door conversations. Finally he said that they do not have any connection with this booking website. Any further questions were responded by saying "Contact them". When I said can you help he said with the message that this is how it should be. They gave us a room but surprised us with not accepting credit card without extras (clearly mentioned in booking site as all inclusive). We were told to pay cash with extra AED 80 and were not even given proper receipt for cash received.
We had to attend some party and knowing that cloth-ironing services may not be available, we had carried our own iron. We were surprised when the sockets could not carry iron load and would trip. When we called for help, the person came to check the sockets with wet shoes and soiled our entire floor. He told us not to use iron...Disgusted, we went to the party on crumpled clothes and in a mad rush.
They do not even keep a jar for water in the room and any service you can think is not available.They keep your passports at the desk in open.
Will never recommend anyone except for the location. And breakfast was also nice. But overall not worth it !

Room Tip: Did not ponder on it being in trouble on their general attitude and service.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed in Dubai Youth Hostel for 3 nights last November and my overall experience was great. I read some reviews that their breakfast is not good but when I was there, there's a wide variety of buffet breakfast. Also, this hostel is near the Stadium metro station so I can move anywhere in Dubai easily. The only downside of the hotel is that your room does not have a WiFi. You can use the computer stations in the lobby for 5 dirhams per hour.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Dubai Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!