“Stop over review” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 487 Hotels in Dubai
Brum
“Stop over review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I decided upon a stop over on the way back from business in Singapore, well if you’re in Dubai you might as well take a look see. Seeing as it was a single night and I wanted to take a look around I thought that the Arabian Courtyard looked to be in the perfect area for my needs. Having read some of the other reviews on this site I was a little dubious but booked anyway, what had I got to loose staying only one night?

I cant say what the place would be like for a long stay but if you’re doing a stop over or a short stay and want to take a quick look around as I did, the Arabian Courtyard it spot on. The location is excellent, the museum is across the road, which is also a stop for the site seeing tour bus which takes in a number of souks and all the big hotels. The rooms are clean, tidy and well appointed. As for the staff I have nothing but praise for there level of service. I only got to try the Mexican restaurant but I would recommend it and the bar serves Guinness which is welcome after two weeks of tiger beer!

This is a good four star hotel in a great location. Nuff said.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Turkish first
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

ok after reading mixed reviews,i decided to give the courtyard a shot,a nice hotel in the centre of bur dubai

stayed in the executive floor is when the issues arose

noisy,breakfast was terrible,the lounge was like a mortuary and not one bit welcoming,not the staff but the whole feel of the lounge,just too drary and dark for my liking,as we had access to complimentary drinks,we didnt use once as i found it depressing to go in there and this is what i said in my comments card and after speaking to many other guests,this was their impression also

there was a girl working in the lounge,Malinda and she was excellent and had a smile everytime you passed or used the net,she was the best thing that the lounge had to offer

for the net there is a charge of 20 dirham for 30 mins and 30 dirham for one hour,but this was so slow,it wasnt funny,i found the executive floor to be a bit of a joke really but heard nothing back from the manager.maybe in time i might get a response

the hotel is nice and has some great bars and restaurants but the one recommendation i would have is if you go there..dont stay in the executive lounge and get a room at the back as you are awake in the morning with prayers and traffic and horns beeping all over the place,not funny if you r looking for some sleep

wud i recommend a normal room in this hotel---YES as its in an excellent spot and clothes,etc are so cheap and the ladies can get stunning dresses made up for a fraction of the price

as for the area and position to the gold souk etc,its great and i will go back but i wud give one bit of advice and dont waste ur money on a executive room,its just a total waste of money,its like a ghost has taken over the spirit of the place and the managers just dont have a clue to perk it up a bit

• Liked — the room was nice
  • Disliked — the lounge area or lack of
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

I stayed at Arabian Courtyard with my wife for 5 nights (10-14/2) after a lot of reading, in which Tripadvisor material was really helpful.
The hotel is ideally located in the heart of Bur Dubai, close to a textile souk and the abra station through which gold & spice souks are in walking distance. Hop-on hop-off bus station is across the museum.
The personnel is very friendly and concierge helpful, even though in some cases english comprehension is relatively poor.
Overall if you are not particularly interested for the beach, you had enough of western-type hotels and like some local colour for your staying in Dubai, seriously consider this hotel.

Stayed February 2007
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

I returned from my week long holiday (which was way too short) from Dubai last week and so I'm feeling seriously depressed to be back in gloomy London! I stayed with my family at the Arabian Courtyard hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I'm not saying it was perfect, but for a 4 star hotel, it does its job and I would go back. The staff (including reception, contrary to what others have said) were very friendly and helpful no matter what requests we had or the time of day/night. Check out the hotel at night when it's all lit up and looks rather magical. We stayed in the standard rooms (with the museum view) which were stylish and comfortable, but my one complaint would be that I noticed that dust gathered quite easily on the surfaces (though I could tell everything was cleaned regularly). The pool is a decent size and gets quite busy during the day when the sun is shining, but for those like me who like to go swimming in the evening (I just like the atmosphere at night), I'd warn you that the cold water really hits you (that's probably why it's less busy then)! They should really make it a heated pool since it's on the roof. The hotel also gives everyone a 10-min complimentary head and neck massage (lovely) at the Zaitoon spa (located inside the hotel) when you check in, which you should definitely make use of. I also got a luxurious facial and the staff there are really nice; they're also open till late so you can fit in getting pampered between all your sightseeing, etc. In general, the hotel has a wonderful atmosphere which is suitable for families, couples, whoever really. Again, contrary to what others have said, it was wonderful to hear the beautiful Azaan (call to prayer) coming from the nearby mosque; you hardly hear this in London nowadays so it was really wonderful to be part of this sense of faith and spirituality. As it is a Muslim country, you will hear the Azaan wherever you are in Dubai (e.g. shopping malls, etc), because it is played out on speakers during prayer time. The hotel provides transport to and from the gorgeous Jumeirah beach which is nice - silly not to make use of that. This hotel is great for anyone who wants to make the most of Dubai because it is in a central location next to the meena bazaar, Dubai museum, beautiful mosques, and other shopping areas. As you can probably tell, I loved everything about Dubai - for me, it was the perfect balance of traditional Islamic culture and Western living - Arabian Courtyard helped to enhance this experience.

• Liked — General atmosphere, great service provided, good location
  • Disliked — Very little to dislike but pool should be heated for evening swimmers
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

I stayed in this hotel 8-11/Feb - thanks to tripadvisor.com, which I browsed for couple of days and the hotel was #33 at that time. I paid some extra money for Deluxe room, which was on 4th floor - but still only about 170USD/double room. Bed was excellent (hard enough but not too much, this is what I like), everything clean, stylish.

Arabs started to sign their songs in the midnight and 6am, but it was from outside meshita, so I cant blame the hotel.

Hotel has really good coffeeteria with big cakes for very reasonable price (3 coffees, cake - less than 10 USD).

I tried Chinese restaurant Silk Route, very good food. I tried Indian, good too, but not my favourite.

Located in the centre next to Dubai Museum (look at ther for 15 mins, better collections are in shopping malls), there are lots of shops around, souks (markets), nearby stop for boats (costs only 0,35 USD to get to the other side of town, via the creek.)

Hotel also offers free transport to the beach, only once a day (public - Jumeirah Park), its okay, but you can always take cab to public beach. Cabs are very cheap (to the beach it will be like 5 USD) and you can decide when you go.

My next visit of Dubai (2010 I suppose when the huge Dubai Land will be finished, and so most of thousands of skyscrapers) I will stay in the same hotel.

I know why I am giving full rating, last 2 nights I stayed in the most luxurious Madinat Jumeirah - which I write review as well (also full stars) - but Madinat is over too expensive (1000 USD/night) and too snobby. But I just wanted to see it :)) Its simply for different sort of people, to my heart is hotel for normal people closer.

• Liked — location, quality, price
  • Disliked — arabs praying 6am in the morning, but outside the hotel in the City.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stayed at this hotel with our 7-year old boy. This hotel was centrally located in Bur Dubai and close to the souks and creek. The front desk, concierge, and overall hotel service was outstanding. The room was very "Arabian". The breakfast buffet which was included was very good with a wide selection of foods and an omelette station. We also ate at the Indian restaurant. We walked in at 3 pm when they were officially closed and they accomadated us with superb service and food.

We would highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Espoo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in January 2007. I'm sorry to say that I hated it. When I'm staying at a hotel I demand two things: The bed has to be confortable and the room has to be quiet. This hotel failed on both.

The bed. It was the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel. It was stone hard - literally like sleeping on a desk. This bed will make you suffer, if you have problems with your back.

The noise. Do not accept a room in the 8:th floor. There is a an air conditioner on the roof of the hotel and it is really noisy if you stay at the top floor. I could only sleep for 4 hours a night, because this noise kept me awake.

The possitive side: The restaurants at the hotel are excellent and very moderatelly priced. It recommed them highly.

The location is good, if you want to stay at the city center, but if you are on a holiday, you don't want to stay at the city center - you want to stay at the beach! This hotel is not located at the beach - and the pool is tiny.

• Liked — The restaurants at the hotel are good.
  • Disliked — The bed is terrible.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!