“Wonderful hotel with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Fahidi Street, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #92 of 483 Hotels in Dubai
babz30
“Wonderful hotel with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Arabian Courtyard

First things first, this is a city centre hotel and there are no great views from the hotel as it isn’t a high rise like some of the others, but let me reassure you that each and every excellent review below wont prepare you for the excellent service in this hotel. It is without a doubt, the most welcoming hotel we have ever stayed in. I am a travel agent and have had the pleasure of staying in a number of luxury hotels throughout the world, but this one gets my highest rating for professionalism and friendliness. From the minute you reach the door, you will be greeted by a friendly smiling member of staff and that continues throughout the stay.

Check in
Prompt, efficient and we were in our room within 10 minutes of reaching the hotel.

Room – 724 (executive room)
The room was large and beautifully decorated in an Arabian theme room. There was a really comfy, huge bed, a small table with chairs, flat screen tv and lots of wardrobe/drawer space. The bathroom was tiny with a shower in the bath, but everything was spotless. Lots and lots of extras that I havent seen in most hotels like shoe shine & nail files. There was a mini bar, iron, ironing board, hairdryer and lots of toiletries in the bathroom. We were in an executive room and had a bowl of fruit on arrival. From the window we could see the Burj Khalifa in the distance. Just a note, we were right opposite the lifts and never once heard them. Free wifi in rooms.

We stayed half board so evening meals were included. We had a choice of breakfast in the main restaurant with other guests or in the executive lounge. We opted for the lounge as it was quiet. The breakfast spread was excellent with lots of choice for everyone. We ate in both the Indian and Chinese/Thai restaurant and food was fabulous both nights. The Indian has live music most evenings and is really busy. You have the option of outdoor dining in the Chinese as they have a roof terrace.

Drinks
Remember there are no off licences in Dubai (well not that i know of). If you want to drink alcohol in your room, buy it when you are leaving the airport. There are bars in all of the hotels and most of them have entertainment. Service, food and drink was the Sherlock Holmes bar at the hotel was very good. We had 4 drinks each, home-made burger & chicken fajitas, both with chips and salad and the total cost was just over £50. There was a really good group playing on the Friday night and the atmosphere in the bar was great.

Staff
The most helpful, friendly bunch of staff I have ever met in a hotel. Particular thanks to the concierge team as they went way beyond the call of duty to ensure our transfer arrived on time.

Location
Dubai is huge and if you are daunted by the choice of hotels I would suggest this area for ease of access to the city. Outside the hotel was the Dubai museum, it was a 5 minute walk to the creek where you could take the abra boats to the gold or spice souks on the other side. At the creek side you could visit the souks filled with bags/fashions/watches etc but be warned, they torture you! The streets around the hotel are filled with local jewellers, retail shops and restaurants. I loved it. You could do all your shopping within a five minute walk! Taxis to Dubai Mall or the Burj Al Arab costs 20 – 30 dinar (between £3.50 & £5.00), depends on traffic.

Other
Our flight was late on the Saturday night but we were able to store luggage in a secure room. When we got back in the evening, we were able to get concierge to take a bag out for us and get what we needed to take showers in the pool/gym area. Towels were available from the gym attendant. No trouble to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We chose this hotel for a 1 night pre-cruise stay close to the port. What a good choice we made. We arrived in Dubai around 1am so just wanted to pick up the bags and get to bed. it was an easy drive from the airport, we'd booked an Executive room which included a complimentary transfer to the hotel, but we didn't use this as we had an airline transfer.
From the start of our stay until we left everything exceeded our expectations. When we arrived we were greeted by the doorman who took charge of the bags, and even though several people were booking in, there was no delay. The room was really was beautiful, masses of space, well furnished and spotlessly clean. We overlooked the Dubai Museum and had a great view of the ships in at Port Rashid. Breakfast was included in our room rate, and was served in the executive lounge. It was perfect for our tastes, but if you wanted a bigger choice you could always go to the main dining. We had planned to go to the Dubai Museum, but unfortunately it was raining quite hard so we decided to have a coffee instead. The coffee machine in the lounge wasn't working and the waiter insisted on going down to the coffee shop and bringing them to us from there. Everyone we came into contact with was pleasant, helpful and professional. We have paid an awful lot more to stay in hotels with an awful lot less personality and charm. During our all too brief stay we were made to feel by everyone as a welcome guest.
We fly through Dubai around twice a year, this is the first time we've stayed there and after our experience at this hotel, when we travel through again next we plan to arrange a stopover here to see more of Dubai.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Note: Room price $110AUD per night.

I flew from the incredible Grand Hyatt in Istanbul and the Arabian Courtyard was better for 1/3rd of the price.
It is one of only a very small number of hotels in Dubai that have a sense of history; albeit short.

Room:
Arabian style punctuates the large rooms. From the cupboards to the bedhead and desk. I loved that my room looked out onto the rooftops of old Dubai.
The room had a really pleasant scent. (I'd love to know what it was.) The bed was large, firm and comfortable. Importantly the room was incredibly quiet even though the hotel was full.

There was a well stocked mini bar and I was surprised to see that the room had every kind of grooming accessory from a shoe horn to shoe polish to slippers and robes. It even had a remote control unit by the bed that controlled all lights, aircon (very quiet) and do not disturb sign.
The evening turn-down service even included chocolates on the bed.

Pool/Gym
I didn't spend much time in the pool that had a 1.8m deep end and curiously a 50cm shallow end that meant you scraped your knees while doing laps!
The Gym looked great with lots of equipment.
I noticed the Sauna and Spa was extra but not much more. Incidentally being the Middle East men and women use the Sauna and Spa at separate times. Women only 9-1pm 3-7pm. As a male I thought that was a large chunk of the day gone! I would have preferred a rotation every 2 hours?

The Day Spa/Treatments
The Day Spa is amazing. I had a fantastic Balinese massage. The same masseur is trained in 7 different types of massage. The area is beautifully designed, peaceful and inviting. I highly recommend a treatment. 50min for about $60 AUD massage. Not bad!

Staff
The staff were amazing. They couldn't do enough for me, from a big welcome and a cool drink on my arrival after midnight to an immediate offer of a shower in the gym prior to my evening departure (I had checked out).

Location
The location opposite the Dubai Museum was great. So was the easy 10min walk to the all important Metro station nearby.

Tip - Get a gold class ticket on the metro to avoid the crowds.

Breakfast
For around $100 AUD per night I expected a very basic breakfast.
I didn't expect to be greeted at the door and personally shown through the various stations including cereals, fruit and yogurt, meats and cheeses, pastries, cakes and donuts and finally the 2 chefs who make everything from pancakes, poached eggs to omelettes.
Oh and then there's the hot buffet including bacon (veal), french toast, roast tomato, sausages etc etc...

As I said earlier having just come from a much more expensive hotel I was amazed at how much the Arabian Court offered. You can take the artificial glitz and glam of other parts of Dubai. I'll be coming back to this honest little hotel. You'll want for nothing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Good location and comfortable hotel. Can walk to the old Dubai area and see the sights. Dubai museum is opposite, some attractions close by. The breakfast is a HUGE spread, very well stocked and tasty, it was worthwhile addition. The hotel staff are very courteous and helpful. Taxis are easily available and quite economical. We didnt try the Metro, even if it was close by, but will try next time. The pool and Spa were also great. The rooms were comfortable and spacious as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Excellent value for money, very friendly competent staff, rooms super, very clean, with wonderful antique furniture,which you would love to take home with you. Excellent Indian Restaurant. Situated next to the old Fort in middle of Dubai, easy to get to anywhere from.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived in Dubai on April 11 and were spending 5 days prior to taking a cruise. The location of the hotel is excellent. The first two days we took the hop on hop off bus and it stops just in front of the hotel. The Dubai Museum is across the street and is a great place to learn about the city and what it originally was. We could walk, in less than 10 minutes, to the souks and if we wanted, catch a dow across Dubai creek to the other souks. We wanted an Arabic style room and this hotel certainly fit the bill. Rooms were neat and very clean. The breakfast buffet was great and offered enough for every taste. We had dinner in the Thai restaurant one night and it was excellent. Everyone in the hotel was extremely helpful and the hotel was maintained at a high level. All the comforts of home and close to everything in the older section of Dubai. Wanting to stay in the older section of Dubai made this hotel a perfect choice. If In Dubai again, I will certainly stay at the Arabian Courtyard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I took pot luck with this hotel as it was just a 'means must' - a stopover from Sydney to Gatwick,to break up the journey,get a full nights sleep,a shower & perhaps take a quick peek at the country I was getting off & on a plane again with - it would be rude not to!
The hotel was on a recommended list via the airline I was travelling with so I pressed the go button.....
Boy did I hit the jackpot. This place gives you good vibes the second you walk in. I felt like royalty.
From the awesome guy outside greeting you warmly upon arrival to the cheery wave goodbye <3
ALL the staff went over & above the call of duty to be super pleasant - but not in an at all condescending way,nor did it feel like they were behaving in a menial way - we've all got the same amount of blood running through our veins - it was just nice,the perfect balance.

Getting back to materials,the room itself was jaw dropping. I'd booked a mediocre single basic room but what I got - well - was a kingside bed & room with luxurious attention to detail to boot......& a glorious bowl of fruit (you dont know how wonderful I thought that was) delivered impromptu to my door by a sweet little fella :-)

I have been romanticised by this hotel. I love it. Never been to Dubai before,listened to other people recounts & gathered that it was a bit upmarket for me...I'm a simple lass who wishes to give rather than get - Dubai seemed a bit too 'look at me' for my liking but this hotel & its staff have - all by themselves - enticed me to visit again ASAP!

If you're planning a trip to Dubai in the near future for any reason I insist you stay here at least one night - you wont be dissappointed ;-) x

Room Tip: Every room seems to be a good room. My room was maybe exceptional,a one off - I think not baby puppy...