“Arabian Night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 129 shopping in Dubai
Type: Flea/ Street Markets, Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Mamiya jewellers is an jewelry establishment in 1966, having profound experience & competent prices & quality in diamond , gold & bespoke jewelry manufacturing.
Adelaide, Australia
23 attraction reviews
“Arabian Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We found the gold souks very interesting and we walked around the narrow lanes with people haggling and trying to get you to buy something. It gave us that very Arabian feel/experience. One of our party (smoker) was approached by a street pedlar and dissappeared up a very dark and narrow alley with a packet of cigarretes he had purchased from a local vendor for Aust $1. He also ended up buying some jewellery (for his partner/girlfriend) at reasonable prices. While it has this shady feel about it we felt quite safe walking around the souk. There are literally hundreds of jewellery shops competing for customers. Well worth a visit.

Visited July 2013

• Polish first
Luanda, null, Angola
“A place to be seen, never forgotten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Whether you are buying or not, you must see this place. So much Gold and priced so very reasonable.
One thing to remember- when buying Gold in Dubai, it doesn't matter if you are at the Souk or local Hotel- all Gold is priced the same by UAE Law. The only part you may haggle over would be the labor of designing and building a particular piece. you may find.
Be mindful also of current limits going out of the country- you don't want to lose your investment at the Airport.
All in all, was a great experience, just hold back until offered a price you feel comfortable with.

Visited September 2012
Aldershot, Hampshire
14 attraction reviews
“Worthwhile visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great place to wonder around taking in the vast amounts of gold displayed in the shop fronts. There are the constant hagglers offering designer bags & watches and water & soft drinks. We found a polite no thank you was sufficient for them to move on. We didn't buy any gold so we can't comment on that but it is worthwhile visiting to say you have been to the souk.

Visited June 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
“Shady Business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I just got back from Dubai recently and noticed I had over $1800 USD in fraudulent charges on my card. I believe it is most likely because I used my card at one of the shops in the gold souk. I'm not 100% sure my information was stolen here, but the people I bought from there were very, very shady. I should not have used a card, so I blame myself for being so naive. A man invited (more like badgered) us to check out his shop (we were constantly harassed by shop owners the entire time and finally decided we should be nice to one of them), then proceeded to lead us through alleyways and into an uninviting building, up the stairs and around the corner to their shop full of knock-offs. I noticed the shop owner slip our guide a few bills for bringing us in. I tried to walk away from a dress shirt I was looking at, but the shop owner insisted, and once I haggled him down to what I thought was a good price I agreed to buy with card and our guide led us back down the street to a different shop where apparently they have a shared credit card machine (should have been a red flag!). I felt raped after the experience and I believe they are the culprits for stealing my credit card information. I know there are card reading machines and cameras to look at PIN codes out there, and I believe I fell victim to one.

Don't get me wrong, you can probably get some OK deals (not great deals) at the souk, but you really have to haggle for them and know what you should be able to pay for the item. Also, you have to put up with the harrassment of shop owners who make you feel uncomfortable for looking at items (god forbid you look without buying!). Check it out for the gold and spices, but I will not be back. I heard Al Karama shopping area has better deals as well.

Visited June 2013
Scotland
6 attraction reviews
“Pests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great to experience walking round the souks but so many pests trying to get you to buy 'genuine' rolex watches and handbags. Just wandering round for a look is impossible, but all part of the experience.

Visited July 2013