“worst hotel we have ever stayed at.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gulf Pearl

Gulf Pearl
You added Gulf Pearl to your Saves list
Gulf Pearl
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Baraha Rd, | P.O. Box 88767, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #434 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
IRELAND
“worst hotel we have ever stayed at.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

to whom it may concern, from a family in ireland, about the worst hotel we ever stayed at. === On arrival after our long journey from ireland, we stepped into dubai airport, it was beautiful, even though we were tired and jet lagged, it was our first visit to dubai, so not knowing what to do we went to information, to see how to get to our hotel, either by bus or taxi, taxi was recommended, so of we went, after about 20 min we arrived in a part of dubai called deira, it was near the famous gold markets,when we stepped into the foyer we looked at each other, and my heart sank, it was dull and scruffy looking, we filled in some forms and were taken to the lift with our baggage, by the bell boy i would say he was helpful, the lifts were smelly, and scruffy, finally our rooms on 4th floor no 406 and 409, when i opened the door and seen my room i knew i had made a bad mistake,the carpets were disgusting and dirty, so bad you needed to have something on your feet , the tiles were mouldy in the bathroom and you wondered to yourself was it safe to sit on the toilet seat.. the bases of the beds were also very dirty looking, we had booked a double room for ourselfs, and a twin room for our daughters. double room was 2 single beds pushed together, so when you lay in the centre you nearly fell on the floor between the 2 beds. they had given us some sort of heavy blankets, that you were afraid to touch, my wife took at least 1hour before she could get her breath, with the smell in
the room, lights were not working on the walls, by now we were really tired, so sleep was getting the better of us, my wife asked me to close the so called curtains on the veranda, but when i went to do this , i noticed that the lace curtains were missing as well as the runners, all that was there was 2 heavy curtains that were fixed either side of the window, i knew if i went to move these the whole frame holding them would probly break., so we had to sleep first night with no privacy. and people across the road could see clearly into the room. when i lay down i found myself getting very itchy, as if the bed was alive with fleas, this also happened with my wife. after getting up a few times , with scratching myself, we finally fell asleep,, next morning my wife showed me little lumps or bites on her back, i went to front desk and told them about curtains and no wall lights, maintainence man arrrived about 20 mins later, told us he would sort out the curtains, so he used the 2 heavy curtains, and pulled them closed in the middle and joined them with a large pin, this was ok, i thought, this would only be for a short time, but was still like this on the morning of our departure. so we had no veranda or sun during the day. i asked at reception were the pool was located , they told me it was under renovation, so i went for a look, on the top floor, there was a pool ok, with no water, looked like it had not been in use for a few years, actually there were black rubbish bags thrown into the base of the pool, it was totally disgraceful. nothing was matching the photos and the information we had seen on the internet. when we booked this DUMP. the breakfast was very poor, we tried to contact the company we had made the reservation with ,,,, they asked me for my ref no, but the paper with this was locked away with our passports, so it was a waste of time trying to explain, i will be reporting this to the u.a.e tourism board, i know if someone owned a hotel like that , over in ireland, the health people would close it down, thia was meant to be a special holiday as my oldest girl is getting marrried next feb07. so this was our last family holiday . and what a dissapointing one it turned out to be alll because of the hotel we had booked, i have contacted the travel company we booked this through, to see what they have to say, after alll ,,, they are given false information. i left the best bit to last, on thurs we went out around the souks, for a walk, came back to hoel around 11.30 pm, room next to ours had a massage sign over the door, i said to my wife i never noticed this before, and us only next door, next thing some girs, chinese ithink, came to the door and asked my wife and myself if we wanted massage, we both replied no thank you, as we had to pack our cases, as we were leaving for the airport 4 am, well let me put it another way, it was the first time that so many people visited that one room, the 5 days we stayed there/ it was disgusting with my wife and myself one side and my 2 daughters the other side of this room. i will never use this company again, i would safely say it would be better to sleep in one of the parks or even on the street. watch this space later when i will attach photos of this dump, they called it 3 stars, i rate it less than 1 star. never stay here.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — needs new carpets and a good clean up
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

Stayed here nov 26th -30th 2006. It was a last minute booking made with a company called Asia travel who rated the hotel 3 star..What a joke...the place was abysmal, dirty and downright 1 star if lucky.
The location was at the far end of Deira, about ten minutes walk to the nearest bus stop at the gold souk. Every shop within half a mile seemed to be a Mobile phone shop.
The rooms were dark and decrepid and smelt of smoke and feist. Our beds were made but contained only one sheet that you slept on which meant you had to be covered by the bedstaed which obviously had not been washed since the turn of the century. At night the hotel was even worse. The noise coming from the 3 nightclubs kept you awake till after 3am.
I complained to the reception and they promised to move us the next day. We were moved and the noise was less but the room was just as bad/dirty. Break fast was atrocious. the only thing remotely edible was the pasta and that was horrid. We only went to breakfast once and then i only tried a bit of the pasta and an orange juice
My advice to anyone travelling to dubai, even if only for a short stay is to spend the extra money and go to jumeriah which was far better...please stay away from the gulf pearl...

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the cleanliness and the food
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

I found this hotel on a website with budget hotels and contacted them directly. The location of the hotel is very good, in a main street and close to the corniche. Many sights are walking distance. The disctrict is a little bit old but safe.

The bellmen, reception and rest of the staff were fast and efficient, although nobody from the reception was able to answer even the simplest questions (e.g. where is the nearest bank/ ATM/ pharmacy).

The room was large and clean, but the facilities seemed rather old and the housekeeping came only if I asked them to clean the room. (Maybe because I slept till noon mostly). You could also hear the traffic and the music from the nightclub in the room, but it was not disturbing.

Most of the guests seemed Iranian and in the evening the hotel was very crowdy because many outsiders came to the nightclubs. The swimming pool was under maintenance and it didn't seem to reopen soon. The breakfast was very simple and sober.

In general the hotel was average, but I would still return here for the good location, the price, the nice atmosphere and I met several interesting people there.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — If you miss breakfast you have to pay for it anyway.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

Hotel Gulf Pearl, a true picture and a face of rupturing Dubai tourism. Par excellent service and classy rooms depicting the true colors of arabian culture. We came totally unplanned and unknown of Dubai but the hotel staff just made it easier for us, that we eneded up with one of the best vacations. The rooms are fairly bigger than an average thre star and the room service is prompt and very courtageous. The Front office had us waken up with transport for the day, desert safari , exotic food and romantic river cruise. They even had a beach and the famous City Center mall transfer free of cost. My kids enjoyed the s/pool with a top view of the Corniche and we spend our nights dancing in the Iranian Night Club with the famous singer Hoji John band.

Overall, we had great fun with Hotel Gulf Pearl and we would definitly suggest to all readers and we wil try ourselves to visit them again.

• Stayed May 2006
London UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

Do not stay in this hotel! This hotel was so very cheap, I wasn't expecting anything, but I still found myself complaining twice a day with reception about a problem. It all started early; the bell boy broke a bottle of duty free vodka on the way to our room; reception said sorry, and only after I asked them if they were going to replace it or refund it, they looked very surprised at the request, called the bell boy and reproached him and humiliated him in front of me.
There was a safe in the room and we were really happily surprised about it, because we had lots of cash, but it didn't work. We asked if it could be made to work, and they assured us that it would be done. They could have just said: 'look this is a three star hotel and our safes are old, why don't we look after your valuables at reception?' Instead they kept smiling and assuring us everything would be fixed and changed our room twice, for increasingly worse rooms! The rooms were pretty basic. There were greasy fingermarks on the wadrobe, and there was mildew in every single bathroom of the 4 I saw, the toilet seat in our first room was broken, and the lightbulb in the bathroom was gone, and despite our repeated requests, never replaced.The carpet hadn't been hoovered, it smelled and made a worrying noise when you walked on it, as it it had been laid on an older, disintegrating floor covering. I followed the procedure of corteously alerting reception as soon as a problem presented itself, to give them the opportunity to sort it out, but the incompetence and indolence of the staff was staggering. It was obviously a well practiced strategy, because in the end I had complaining fatigue and asked for nothing, and when my magazines ( Mac User and Man's Health total cost £11.80 still mostly unread) disappeared from the room, I just could not be bothered to tell them!

Been to Gulf Pearl? Share your experiences!