“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah

You added Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah to your Saves list
Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Sufouh Road | Madinat Jumeirah Resort, Dubai 75157, United Arab Emirates   |
Special Offer
JUMEIRAH WINTER FLAVOURS
Ranked #7 of 487 Hotels in Dubai
edgbaston
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

My Wife and 3 year old daughter have just arrived back from our second Christmas stay at the Al Qasr. We are not one for returning to a venue as there is a whole world out there to experience, but the Al Qasr ticked so many boxes the first time around that we decided to see if it could match the great holiday we had in 08. It did. We booked the standard room, paying the extra again for the Premium Leisure Club. It was good to see familiar faces again amongst the staff (and some guests), and even the lady who babysat for us the previous year had changed her shifts to free up her evenings in case we required her services again. The staff at the PLC (premium leisure club) were again excellent, they really work hard to assist you with what ever you require. In fact if you had to give a negative about the PLC, it would be that because the service is so good you don't tend to travel up to the main lobby area which is truly stunning at Christmas. The PLC just needs a bit of grandeur added, but I would happily take its comfortable decor with great service any day. What else can I quickly add about the hotel. As I've said the staff are superb. The pool is large, warm and watched over by several life guards, so you feel totally relaxed swimming with your child. It isn't too deep in any area and has some shaded areas to so you can escape the direct sun if you wish. There is also a purpose built childrens pool with a slide, fountains and indoor play area. This is separate to the main pool area for those worried about a gathering of screaming infants! The beach has plenty of sun loungers and the staff there are very attentive. When you arrive on the beach a man will come over with towels and make up the sun lounger. There are waiting staff ready to take your drinks/food orders. There are others who throughout the day come by and offer you a cold towel, ice lollies and if you are feeling up to it - a glass of champagne. All these services are also available at the pool. The restaurants all provide good service and very good food. I recommend taking the boats around the canals at night as the waterways are beautifull lit. If you don't wish to take a boat during your stay, or walk, you can always be taken to your destination by golf buggy, another good way to see the grounds. There are plenty of activities available from watersports to tennis. I was lucky enough this year to be playing tennis next to Roger Federer as he warmed for the Capitala Exhibition at Abu Dhabi, not many can say that. Also, what a gent he was, chatting with us afterwards. A truely great holiday memory. We also played golf at the Els Club which was arranged by the hotel. No surprise that it all went effortlessly. Airport transfers were a delight. As PLC guests the transfers were free and the cars luxurious.
Were there any negatives? Yep, a few minor niggles, it would be pretty naive to think that a hotel of this size could run perfectly for all of the guests all of the time. Did the small issues I encountered ruin the day, no. If you have a problem, talk to a member of staff and things are rectified quickly. I suppose I should give an example. When we arrived at our room on Christmas Day at 2.30am we noticed there was no bed made up for our daughter (large sofa bed). We brought it to the attention of reception and then 2 minutes later housekeeping arrives and it was rectified within 5 minutes.
Some people mention the cost of eating out and drink at the hotel. Yes it is expensive, very pricey in fact. But it didn't put us off going back, and yes you can sit there and say this £100 bottle of wine will only cost me £30 back home, but the whole holiday has cost so much anyway why sit there moaning now, just look around you, you're paying for the whole experience. Or just order a different bottle of wine:-) Just a quick note, those upgrading to the PLC get a 'happy hour' (6-8pm) every day which is basically free alcoholic drinks, yes including champagne.
One final thing, the New Years Eve Gala. If you get a chance - go! Stunning venue, food, music, service and fireworks.
I think thats about it, please contact me if you need more information. Theres probably plenty I haven't conveyed but I haven't got all day to keep writing, I have unpacking to do!
Rgeards, The Berry Family.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Dear Guests,

What a pleasure to read your very positive review from your recent holiday with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our Hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to learn how much you and your family enjoyed your time over Christmas and the New Year.

Please accept my apologies that your daughter’s bed was not made on ready on your arrival. I am pleased this was immediately resolved and that the error did not detract from your overall experience. You are indeed correct that while every effort is made to prevent any incident from occurring, we will respond efficiently in the unlikely event of a service shortfall. I am pleased that you feel this to be the case.

We look very forward to the possibility of welcoming you and your family back for your third visit to Al Qasr in 2010.

Stephan Schupbach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
St Petersburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

In short I did not like it. For some time I could not even understand why. Now it's been almost a week since I returned and now I can explain: they sold me decent standard service for a price of a luxurious stay.
It is like going to a good restaurant to find out that they serve only burgers, french fries and nuggets for $100 apiece there.

I am not saying their standard services did not work. Except for maybe the concierges and the 'service one' everything was great. What I'm saying is whenever you request anything slightly more personalized and less standard they just fail to deliver. My wife wanted the food from a particular restaurant to be served in our room. So she called the 'service one'. 'Service one' connected her to concierge. Concierge - to restaurant reservation. These guys - to 'private dining'. The 'private dining' - to the restaurant manager who just did not respond. She calls back to 'service one' - and... voila! there's another girl at 'service one' who sent her in the same direction. Overall I tell you those guys at 'service one' are really eager about just one thing - to shake you off the neck, i.e. to connect you to someone.

The concierges are guys who I truly like. Some of them are good I must say but I do not know their names because none of the staff identified themselves by names. Their favourite joke was to take your request, promise to respond and then never to come back. Want a table? No problem, sir. I'll send you confirmation shortly... And that's it, no booking, no confirmation. That happened three times during just 10 days of stay.

Yeah, and you always feel like kinda you are one of thousands others. DVDs? Sorry some other guests took it. Table in Pierchic? Oh, they are fool for today and tomorrow, so call tomorrow for the booking for the day after tomorrow. Late check-out? Of course not, other guests are coming. Tennis lessons? Oh, we are fully booked for the next week.
Beaches are also fully packed. Reservation at Wild Wadi's aquapark's cabana? oh, you just come earlier, maybe you are lucky to get one. Voice mail line is just busy all the day. That's how it was. Wanna fight for your place - go ahead.

And of the bad things the last one is PRICES. My extra charges (apart from accomodation) for a 10 days stay in Al Qasr were actually more than for 2 weeks in Maldives!!! I was not exactly short in cash, but I tell you that $250 for a bottle of champaigne that never goes for more than $100 even in Moscow, is kinda too much. Even for my oil money rich compatriots ;-)

Of the really good things I must mention the absolutely gorgeous interiors. It is so delicate and exquisite that you really feel relaxed from the ambience inside. Really wonderful thing was this system of water channels and ABRA boats. Some people criticised it, I must say it worked just perfect. We never waited for a boat longer than 5 minutes.

Service at the beach was also reachable and supportive.

So, overall, I would say that if you are in a business trip and you don't really count your pocket cash, this hotel is just fine. You'll feel great.

N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

One of the few hotels in the world that we have the desire to re-visit. Ideal opportunity to re-charge batteries and surround yourself with excellent staff who take that little bit of extra care to make sure the experience does not disappoint. The executive lounge access is a worthwhile extra and the discrete attention of the room service staff was much appreciated. The bedrooms are beautifully appointed and the comfort of the bed/pillows do not encourage an early breakfast!! On this visit we really enjoyed some new restaurants but the best of the previous visit were not to be missed. The hotel is perfectly located and the access to the beach is very convenient. We hope to make this an annual escape just before the busy family Christmas we enjoy at home. As a result of our experience we also expect to try the sister hotel in New York in late spring.
No hesitation in recommending this hotel to those who wish to have a vacation to remember.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Al Qasr and for taking the time to recommend our Hotel on TripAdvisor. It is very pleasing to read how much you enjoyed your stay and to learn of your positive impressions of our services and facilities.

We would certainly take great pleasure in welcoming you back again in 2010. Thank you for your loyalty to our Company.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

Top Hotel.. the best ever for me!!! The rooms are like in a fairy tale. Service is outstanding. I had not to pay the room so I do not know about it... but it was worth it :-)

Stayed November 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us at Al Qasr. I am very pleased your enjoyed your time and that you rate us as the best hotel you have stayed in.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Resort in the near future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We stayed in the Al Qasr for one night as part of an extended honeymoon. The reception you receive on arrival is fantastic. The hotel is immaculate in every sense with so very many bars, restaurants and activities to choose from in the whole Jumeirah complex. The Wild Wadi Water Park was also inclusive of our stay and was a fantastic way to wile away a morning. The souk is also worth a visit and it is great fun going by the venetian style waterways.

The staff are very courteous and it is always a challenge to greet them before they greet you. The restaurants are excellent with so many to choose from. We ate at the Chinese at the neighbouring Mina A Salaam hotel and had a fantastic meal.

The only downside I found was with the water sports club on the beach which is common to all the Jumeirah complex hotels. They refused to let me hire the windsurfing equipment or the Catamaran due to the wind strength. It was blowing about 20 knots maximum. It seems as though they do not cater to anyone but the beginner/intermediate and are not used to even moderate winds at the resort.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of your time at Al Qasr and thank you for choosing our Hotel to celebrate a part of your honeymoon. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you hold fond memories of the service you received.

I apologise that you were left to feel disappointed by the restrictions in place for water sports as a result of the weather conditions on the day. It is not common for the weather to prevent these activities and I regret that this was the case during your short stay with us.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Al Qasr in the near future.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at our Hotel and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

Our Christmas vacation to Al Qasr was again a wonderful experience. In Dubai superlatives are often used to describe new hotels eager to "out do" others, however without exception we have always had a wonderful experience. We visit for pleasure but any visitor to Al Qasr could not fail to be impressed as one enters the Hotel for the first time, oppulent but tasteful. The staff exude professionalism and that stems from the beach boy to the General Manager, every member of the team could not be more polite more helpful, more willing to make your stay an experience you will remember for the right reasons.If you are looking to visit Dubai and wish to stay in luxurious surroundings and have the very best service then Al Qasr is the Hotel I would always choose and would highly recomend to anyone, We have spoken to many guests who have visited other new hotels and have regretted their decision saying "Nothing compares to Al Qasr"

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read how much you to enjoy your Christmas vacations with us. Thank you for your continued support of Al Qasr and for your loyalty to our Resort. I sincerely appreciate your kind recognition of our colleagues and the time you have taken to post a review on TripAdvisor and recommend our Hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back once again very soon,

Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

As a Dubai resident, I visited al Qasr for dinner and drinks. I parked in Souk Madinat to shop and then walked to Al Qasr through the connection from the Souk as I had done many times before. Security let me and my friend pass when we said we were coming for dinner. After dinner and drinks I tried to get walk back to the Souk through the same way and security refused to let us through. Instead we were told to go outside via the lobby as we weren't hotel guests.

From the entrance lobby of the hotel, there is no direct way back to the Souk without going through the driveway and onto the main road. When I asked security there how I was expected to get back to the Souk where I parked, he couldn't give me an answer as I wasn't an hotel guest. When I mentioned that I always used the connection I came through but was denied access this time, he said I should not have been allowed to walk to the hotel from Madinat as I was a guest. As security was arguing among themselves regarding this "security breach" without providing anyway to get back to the Souk, I gave up and a friend drove me from Al Qasr to the Souk next door.

What is the purpose of this type of security that is inconsistent and doesn't allow visitors to access within interconnected hotel/shopping complex. Am I supposed to park in Madinat, then drive next door and valet my car in Al Qasr.

It is simply not worth bothering to dine at any of Al Qasr's restaurants anymore and put up with this kind of hassle and security staff when there are so many other hotels with equal or better restaurants that don't bother people who want to dine with them.

• Stayed December 2009
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience in accessing Madinat Souk from Al Qasr Hotel. We endeavoured to contact you through your profile on TripAdvisor and I regret our efforts were unsuccessful. May I therefore take this opportunity to sincerely apologise that you were inconvenienced by the security measures in place at the Resort and I sincerely regret that you were left to feel disappointed in our hotel.

While it has been difficult to fully investigate this specific incident without the opportunity to speak with you, I would like to request you to please regard your experience as isolated. On receipt of your feedback on TripAdvisor, we immediately reviewed our Hotel access policy to ensure it provides for the security of our in-house guests while also allowing appropriate levels of access to guests of our restaurants and bars.

While in-house guests are permitted to move between the hotel and the Souk, certain security measures are in place for visitors not staying within our Hotels. To ensure the safety of in-house guests, the security of guest rooms and the exclusivity of the Hotels, we request identification of visitors passing to and from Madinat Souk to verify they are either staying in-house or visiting as non-resident diners. For guests who are not staying in-house, we provide a text message restaurant reservation confirmation and an email confirmation to assist for this purpose. Furthermore, we endeavour to minimize the pedestrian traffic of non-resident guests between the Souk and the Hotels by providing parking in each respective area.

Once again, please accept my apologies if in any way the manner in which this information was shared with you fell short of the high service standards we strive to achieve. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Madinat Jumeirah in the near future and restore your confidence in our Resort.

We do appreciate your feedback and I would like to thank you for posting your review, thereby allowing me to reply and endeavour to explain our security policies and our efforts to ensure the safety of all our guests.

Stephan Schupbach

Been to Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah? Share your experiences!