“Exceptional!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar

Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar
Sheikh Zayed Road, Business Bay | JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (Formerly Rang Mahal)
+971 4 414 0000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #167 of 5,835 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Chef Atul Kochhar is the celebrity Michelin star Chef of Benares, London who brings his culinary talents to the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, creating Indian Cuisine with a contemporary style. Crafted by chef Amrish Sood who was announced 'BBC Good Food Chef of the Year' and "Caterer Middle East Head Chef of the Year", Rang Mahal has been awarded multiple awards from the opening.
“Exceptional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've been to many Indian restaurants in my time, but I can't recall a more satisfying experience than the one I had last night in Rang Mahal. The food was exquisite. The service was excellent and the decor/ambiance extremely appealing. I couldn't recommend this place highly enough.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DXBJW, Public Relations Manager at Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
It is our great pleasure to know that you had an exceptional dining experience at Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent Food! Sloppy service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I visited Rang Mahal with my wife, was amazed to see such a beautiful restaurant! We were escorted by the lovely hostess who guided us through the restaurant.

Directly we were given a vegetarian menu and I had to ask for a menu which had some non veg options. The first course was amazing, I simply fell in love with the Karara kekada, it was one of the best dish I ever had. I also loved the amuse bucshe as well. For the mains we had to wait for a stupendous amount of time, by this time all our appetite had died. Then for the mains another dish stunned me, it was the pickled mushroom, wow, I still remember the flavour! The other dish veg ghassi was not that great.

Finally it was time to pay the bill, to my surprise they charged me extra glass of wine. The server apologised and rectified the mistake, well I let it go....the amazing food covered it all up! Will definitely visit again, for the food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DXBJW, Public Relations Manager at Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We are delighted to know that you liked the food at Rang Mahal. Thank you for sharing your candid feedback about service. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Definitely one of the best Indian meals we have had!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The decor, the staff, everything about this restaurant made it a lovely experience from start to finish and we definitely hope to return in the very near future.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly and polite staff and escorted to our table. The restaurant although a little dark (which I personally loved) was beautifully decorated and played Asian fusion music. Initially before more guests arrived it seemed a little loud although soon became more background.
Once seated the menus were explained to us - starter, grazing menu, main curries etc. We were also offered the "cocktail of the day" which was made at our table and we found to be a lovely touch. All the components along with the reasons for including them were explained - not convinced I would be able to make it myself though!
I opted for the grazing menu with the wine pairing as I liked the idea of sampling several dishes. I enquired on whether they could change two of the items as I don't eat lamb which was no issue at all. They gave me other options - seafood or vegetables that I could choose between. My favourites from the grazing menu were the "lasooni" scallops served with the most delicious cauliflower purée, the chicken breast "murgh chandi tikka" and the line-caught sea bass "meen moilley"
My husband had the pan fried fish to start, followed by the indian lamb shank and ended with the apple tatin - all of which he thoroughly enjoyed. Every dish was very tasty and perfectly spiced.
The staff throughout our meal were attentive without being intrusive (which can often be an issue in Dubai) and we left feeling pleasantly full talking about how much we had enjoyed our evening.

Visited June 2013
We are delighted to know that you had an amazing dining experience at Rang Mahal. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Worst Indian experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went with my husband and baby. Firstly the restaurant had a problems with kids. We had to stay n a close area although the restaurant was almost empty. The service was very poor. The food was nor authentic nor fusion theme. The taste was very bad. We had to pay a large lump sum of money for this very bad experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. It is very concerning to read the details of your review and we regret that you have departed Rang Mahal with a negative impression. We would like to speak with you personally regarding your experience and we kindly request that you confirm your contact details by emailing mhrs.dxbjw.grm@marriott.com. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We first found out about this restaurant from the staff at the Marriot Marquis. We asked them to recommend an Indian restaurant and they said they have one in the hotel. We were reluctant to go here because we thought obviously they would recommend a restaurant at the hotel but we decided try it out. When we walked in the hostess was very friendly and inviting. She asked if we wanted to go straight to the table or have a drink in the bar area. We choose to have a drink first in a booth which was nicely decorated. (The decor of the whole restaurant was amazing. Dim lighting and warm colours.)

We couldn’t decide on what drink to have so the waiter (Sasi) suggested we tell him our tastes and leave it to him. When our cocktails were ready they looked fantastic but tasted even better! We told Sasi what we liked once and he immediately got it right. The drinks were amazing. We then left it to him to choose a wine for us and again it was a perfect choice by him.

When it comes to food me and my partner are quiet fussy. We couldn't decide on what to have so Sasi said he would make small portions of everything we wanted so we could try it all. He even bought food to our table that we didn’t order but he knew we would like. So this is where our experience at Rang Mahal got more amazing. Sasi bought over Daal which we didn’t order but he said we must try. My partner and I have Daal all the time at home so we were not overly excited but once we tasted it we were blown away! It was THE BEST Daal we have ever tasted! We are Indians and have had Daal all our lives but nothing ever like this one! It was an amazing dish and we are so glad Sasi bought it over to us. If you are going to this restaurant it is a must have dish.

Overall I have got to say that Sasi and his team were wonderful. I can’t wait to go back to Rang Mahal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DXBJW, Public Relations Manager at Rang Mahal by Atul Kochhar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.